-Advice to get started
-Words of encouragement/wisdom
-Favorite exercises/resources
Any help is appreciated

Replies

• superpowers2016
    superpowers2016 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Find a structured program that has you progressing in weight as you move on - Stronglifts 5x5, Starting Strength, and Strong Curves are some.

Don't be afraid. The feeling you get when you can squat your bodyweight is fantastic.

Start slow - work on form before you go up too high in weight. Less risk for injury this way.

Keep a positive mindset.

HAVE FUN!

Thank you :smile:
  • thrashscara
    thrashscara Posts: 72 Member
    Options

Start slow - work on form before you go up too high in weight. Less risk for injury this way.

THIS!

Also, don't ever worry about what anyone else is doing! Alot of people get put off due to watching people lifting heavy, but remember everyone has to start somewhere!

Power clean is my favourite move!!

• LiftandSkate
    LiftandSkate Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Ditto what others have said, and just do it! Nothing has done more for my body and for my confidence than lifting. I would also highly recommend any of Nia Shanks' programs, available as an e book download on her website. I started out with her programs 4 years ago, and find myself returning to them over and over. She's very good at structuring efficient programs that make the most of your time in the gym. They are tough, effective, and simple.
  • julesloveland
    julesloveland Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Get someone at the gym to show you what you're doing with the equipment, make sure your form is good before lifting heavy (it can take time to perfect that squat) and use a program like Strong 5x5 to help you.

Don't forget though you don't have to lift - you could do body strength resistance training too (squats, lunges, press ups, etc).

And most of all - enjoy! You'll see great results. Once you start you won't go back.
  • dae6
    dae6 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    While I don't qualify on the lady bit, I hope you don't mind if I try to give a little advice based on my own experiences.

Keep it simple at first, and relatively light, at first. Basic, compound, exercises (chest/shoulder presses, squats, etc) should be the focus at first, later you can add in more specialized isolation exercises as you get more experienced. I'd pick 2 to 3 basic exercises for each body part to start off. There is no need to overdo it.

As others have said, don't worry about what anyone else is doing in terms of weight. Your body doesn't care about the objective amount of weight you are using, only that it is being challenged by it.

Focusing on a weight you can safely handle with proper form will do you far more good in the long run than using heaver weights improperly.

I would suggest trying to get used to free weights over machines as much as possible. They tend to be superior for most movements, and if you spend a lot of time on machines you're going to have to relearn those movements if and when you do eventually decide to use them.

Oh, and don't forget to allow enough of time for your muscles to rest between workouts. It's easy to get overly enthusiastic when starting off and do too much.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    - You definitely want to make sure you keep your spine and neck in the correct positions but don't get hung up too much on "proper" form since sometimes it will need to be changed based on your body shape and mechanics. Plus better form is more of a journey than a goal

- good programs to look into are strong curves, new rules of lifting for women, strong lifts, starting strength, etc.

- you might want to get someone to show you proper technique. if you belong to a gym, ask for a trainer who has lifting experience, powerlifting or something similar, not just your regular old let's do squats on a bossu ball trainer
  • Isca_1
    Isca_1 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Start simple and go from there. Some good programs listed above. I started with New Rules of Lifting for Women. I had NOOOO idea what I was doing walking into the gym last year. Dec I started Stronglifts. Beginning of June I started Thiner, Leaner, Stonger, which I am really enjoying. I also bought Starting Strength to learn positioning of the lifts. A bit technical on the read, but I like stuff like that.

I have a fair bit to go on the weight loss, but my body has totally changed. I love lifting and now doing it 5 days a week. If I miss a day, I am bummed.

Just keep doing it. Get into the gym and lift. Good luck!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Hey I'm still dragging my feet when it comes to strength training/lifting any:
    -Advice to get started
    -Words of encouragement/wisdom
    -Favorite exercises/resources
    Any help is appreciated

To get started find a program you think you will like and then a plan b just in case.
    Words of encouragement - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1096001-halp-heavy-lifting-made-me-supah-bulky?page=13#posts-19366042
    Favourite exercise for me would be bench press I used to just love Deadlifts but since I hit that goal I started really gaining on my bench. Least fav is rows
    Resource - google and http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women
    and http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/10118-eat-train-progress
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1185582-why-people-have-to-squat-differently
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1263563-ohp-video-rippetoe-patform-2
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/another-look-at-metabolic-damage.html#more-9313
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/of-whooshes-and-squishy-fat.html
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
    Go to this page for sure

• moxiept
    moxiept Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I just got " The New Rules of Lifting for Women" and am enjoying it so far. Good luck to you!
  • pattyandthemoos
    pattyandthemoos Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I suck at advice but I'm pretty good at encouragement. I will say one thing. This is my second try at strength training after taking a lot of time off. And, one thing I did differently was to really focus on my form and feeling things and not on how much I lift. I already know a lot of people can lift more than me, but I just look at my own progress and know that I haven't been doing it as long as others.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

Above is another good link.

It lists the most popular routines. Read through them and chose one that fits your particular goals. Most can be adapted to Dumbbells if a 45lbs bar is too heavy.

I found doing the Nerdfitness bodyweight routine before starting to lift really helped.

After a 2 month hiatus I started back in the All Pro programme this week.
    By the end of the routine my arms were so week I could only curl 7.5 lbs. was I embarrassed that every one around me was moving triple that weight, no. I was doing what I could safely do at that point in time. Nobody stared, nobody pointed and laughed. I did me and they did them.

Find what suits you, watch the videos on form, then start light and slow.

Cheers, h.
  • stapark
    stapark Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    For me, reading a lot about what lifting could for me was encouraging. I also watched a lot of Instagram and YouTube videos of women lifting, and still do these to keep myself motivated! I do Stronglifts because it's simple and doesn't take a lot of time.
  • Arathels
    Arathels Posts: 6,883 Member
    Options
    Hmm Just you know, pick things up and put them back down. That seems to work fine for me ;)

But I recommend strong lifts. I like to feel the burn in my muscle when I work them. Try to keep lifting to the point that when the burning starts you get a silly smile on your face... When you're at that point you won't wanna quit.
    Make it a routine and try to enjoy it :*
  • kenestrick1
    kenestrick1 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    This site has been extremely informative for me http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/ (No lol im no where near a bodybuilder). I am currently using Beachbody's Bodybeast program as i research and learn enough to make my own routine. I absolutely love it:) i love weightlifting in general.
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I love Alan Thrall videos. He's funny, to the point but most importantly extremely informative. I have see MANY how to videos, but this guy has all the info I didn't even know I needed.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/athrall7
    Make sure to eat according to you goals. I'm trying to keep my muscle while in a calorie deficit. I eat lots of protein to help keep what muscle I have. When I loose the weight, I'll up my calories to a bit above maintenance and build a bit more. Lifting is my new lifestyle as the body I want to sculpt will take a while... That's not every ones goal though. I've made changes when I learned new things etc. So don't be afraid to work with plans to see which fits you best! I like Strong Lifts 5x5 with accessory work. Good luck!!
  • treehugnmama
    treehugnmama Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I don't have experience but I was feeling g the same way. My goal was to have a routine by the time the pool closed a s I want to do it at home.

I was so overwhelmed by all of the routines I started with two exercises this week two days ago. Today I will add one new one and I write it down in a book . I did the same for the pool when I started and for someone that gets easily overwhelmed with new things this worked. I will keep adding a new exercise as I know what I am doing with the ones I have. I bought weights to do at home.
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    What is your strength training goal?
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Everyone else has given you really good advice, so I'm just going to add that resistance training can help increase bone density and protect against osteoporosis. If for no other reason, it makes resistance training really important for women.
  • KDar1988
    KDar1988 Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    I agree with all of the above. I started Strong Lifts 2 months ago and I feel like it is something I have to do. Nobody cares if I go to the gym to do it, except me. I have set days that I go and work my schedule around it if I have to. (like today I started work at 6:30 so I can leave at 3 to get it done before the 4pm crowd). It works. You just gotta commit. Good luck!