Back pain after running

Options
I've noticed the day after running I've normally got some lower back pain, does anyone have any recommendations for stretches I can do to help with this?

Replies

• megan_elizabeth8
    megan_elizabeth8 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I also used to experience this after running. One big problem for me was that running on concrete footpaths was too high impact for my body. Running on softer surfaces or even a treadmill made a massive difference for me!
    The 'childs pose' stretch was a great one for my lower back. The 'cat and camel' stretch was also really effective. I also found that strength training, in particular strengthening my core worked wonders for me, and I rarely experience lower back pain anymore, even after running! :smile:
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Planks, back bows, supermans, swimmers. Not stretches but exercises for the loser back. You have to balance ab work with back work. I had the same problem. Strengthening my back really worked.
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    If the back pain makes you bend over a bit, or harder to stand straight, you could do some hip flexor stretches...
  • fattothinmum
    fattothinmum Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    My back hurts if I hunch over while running, so I've learned to keep my back straight, and get the right shoes to soften the impact underfoot. For me, it's Hoka, and nothing else, but you might find your shoes are not right for you. If you haven't been fitted, I'd go to a running shop and see what they recommend based on your gait and back, but go to a proper running shop if you plan to. You don't have to buy from them.
  • JayRuby84
    JayRuby84 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I also experience lower back pain after my jogs. I've had in iffy back for a few months now from a separate injury that running seems to aggravate. I agree that doing back strengthening exercises will help.
  • jshordon_86
    jshordon_86 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions I'll try and work some of them into my routine
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Get new shoes
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    check your footwear snd make sure you're wearing the correct shoes for your stride and body mechanics, especially if you aren't running on natural or cushioned surfaces.
  • moxiept
    moxiept Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Strengthen you core. I was having a similar issue. When I started incorporating daily plank exercises in various positions, I was able to eliminate the back pain.
  • socalrunner59
    socalrunner59 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    1. Try a black foam roller over your back, legs, & glutes before and after running. The white ones are too soft to do much good.
    2. Try hip flexor exercises and stretches. Tight hips rotate the pelvis forward and cause strain on the back.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I've noticed the day after running I've normally got some lower back pain, does anyone have any recommendations for stretches I can do to help with this?

Back pain is an indicator of core strength issues, rather than flexibility.

The planks etc mentioned upthread help, as will squats, deadlifts, press ups etc.