my calories

Options
crystal479
crystal479 Posts: 59 Member
they worked my calories out at 1,200 i know i cant stick to that i would get to hungry and give up could i do 1,300 calories and still lose weight kathy

Replies

• sharondjs
    sharondjs Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    ??? who is Kathy and did you mean to start a new thread & who is they ?? Put your stats into MFP and see what is says very rarely does it do 1200 as that is the lowest limit for women that mfp will set . Also you will have exercise calories when you workout eat back some of those also .
  • fattyclatter
    fattyclatter Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure Kathy is her name and she used it to sign off the end of her post.
  • fattyclatter
    fattyclatter Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    But yes, if MFP gave you 1200 calories to lose weight and you ate 1300, you'd still lose weight. It will just be a little bit slower. Maybe change your rate of loss to 1/2lb a week so you have more calories to work with.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Hello Kathy,

If you exercise you get to eat back your exercise calories, this gives you more to eat.

If you do not exercise, then certainly you raise the calories to 1300, it just takes 700 calories off your "weekly" deficit to loose weight (thus loosing a little slower).'

edited to say: MFP gives me 1200 calories to loose around 7 ounces a week. I am fairly small and short. So just increase if you need to or change the weight loss goal if it will allow 1/2 pound, you see I get the bare min that is not even 1/2 pound.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    crystal479 wrote: »
    they worked my calories out at 1,200 i know i cant stick to that i would get to hungry and give up could i do 1,300 calories and still lose weight kathy

Probably
  • Vegplotter
    Vegplotter Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    It is easy to eat well on 1200 calories. Just look at any magazine, bookshop or blog to get recipe advice. The secret is good nutrition and then I promise you won't feel hungry. Also try to keep away from anything in a packet especially if it offers low fat or low sugar. (The low fat is almost always high sugar and vice versa!)
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Don't put sedentary unless you seriously are stuck on a couch or bed all day. I'm an accountant with a desk job and I'm still "lightly active", as are most people. Try 1300 for a few weeks. See how you do. You may drop weight too fast and feel way too hungry. You'll know to up your calories. Or track how many calories you typically eat and subtract 200 calories from that every couple weeks until you're losing weight consistently without starving.

When I first joined, I put sedentary and 1/2 pound per week and it gave me 1200 also... but using a Fitbit, I see I burn 1750 on a typical day without intense exercise... so even eating 1500 per day, I should lose 1/2 pound per week. Just need to experiment a bit to learn your needs.
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    MFP also gave me 1200 calories which I upped to 1300 I am not losing as fast as I could but I am fine with that
  • ericatoday
    ericatoday Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    If you change your setting you can change the amount of calories. If youre starting off it is very hard to go straight to 1200 so try setting it to losing .5lbs per week then increase later on