Acknowledging my weight loss Plateau - all advice appreciate

Options
Hi guys :smile:

i've never posted before but i'm at a lose end here and would really appeciate some advice!
I lost 15 pounds prior to joining myfitnesspal but for the last 8 weeks i've been stuck between 154 & 151 pounds and the scales just don't seem to want to budge :sad:

I go to the gym 4 days a week alternating between upper/lower body exercises for 30 mins and use those machines with weights on (i don't lift weights) and then when i come home i do 20 minutes of strength training. I also go to a zumba class one day a week and i'm just about to add in a 6th day of exercise which will be either pilates for beginners or swimming.

I'm following the Holford Diet which consists of 3 carbs per day (preferably wholegrain if i can) 2 fats, 2 dairy, 2 protein, 2 fruit, 3 veg, no caffine, i always have a fruit juice or diet coke or a malted drink in the evening as my 'pudding/treat' and once every 1-2 weeks i do eat pizza or icecream or kfc and have a bloody good night out :tongue:

With my diet i measure everything precisely but generally struggle to make 1200 calories but the book says this is ok as everything i'm eating is healthy and good for the body and the portion sizes are fair too, initially i was always hungry but now i'm contempt. However i'm always tired :cry: and feel wiped out after i exercise.

So so so sorry for giving you my life story and if anyone is still reading ALL advice will be greatly appreciated!

xx

Replies

• louiseei
    louiseei Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I can't see your diary, but it sounds to me as if you perhaps aren't eating enough, is the 1200 cals after exercise?
  • queen_bea
    queen_bea Posts: 118
    Options
    yeah, sleepy to me sounds like you arent eating enough to fuel yourself for exercise.... hence the dead tired after exercise.
  • simplysara9
    simplysara9 Posts: 521
    Options
    If you are always tired and wiped out you are not eating enough to fuel your body. You may need more protein / carbs in your diet. The plan you are following sounds very restrictive. Have you looked into clean eating? It is eating more nutritious filling foods and doesn't have restrictions.
  • SarahLovesCheesecake
    Options
    Id change your exercise, just a suggestion as the 2 times Ive experienced a plateau, I look back and Id changed something to get out of it. The first time Jan / Feb 2011, I bought a bike and started running. I also checked my diet as Id not been counting. The second time I increased my running.

Edit: Also second time I started 30 Day Shred
  • instructor03
    instructor03 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    It looks like you do more strength training and not much cardio. Try upping the cardio to at least 3-4 times per week. Water? Are you drinking the recommended amount of water? Also, you shouldn't feel so tired every time you exercise. Eat your calories. Maybe it is time to reevaluate the diet you are following. Diets are temporary, eating healthy is a way of life.
  • welloiledmachine
    welloiledmachine Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you have been doing the same thing over and over which means you've hit a plateau. Now is the time to switch things up. Sometimes you can do too much cardio. I normally keep mine to 4-5 times a week with each being 30 minutes sessions on the Arc trainer or elliptical.
    I highly recommend lifting weights as that is what really burns the fat. Hence, muscle burns fat. And it does sound like you aren't getting enough carbs and possibly protein.
    For me, I eat 5 small meals a day with each meal consisting of complex carbs, protein and fat. Doing this keeps your body energized with no afternoon slumps, boosts you metabolism and helps lose weight.
    I know this is what works for me and may not work for everyone, but at least it is another option. We always need to keep shocking our body to avoid plateaus.
    Good luck and open your diary so we can possibly help you out more.
  • essentials2x7wl
    essentials2x7wl Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thankyou for all the replies :smile:

Just to answer a few of the questions.. i haven't been keeping an exercise diary on here as my laptop has been broken for some time and i have no other access to the internet. I do cardio/strength training and then eat roughly 1100 calories throughout the day.

what is clean eating?? how would that differ to what i eat in my diet?
    I do cardio 4-5 times a week from 30mins - 1hour and drink 2-3 litres of water a day without fail!
    when i say i don't lift weights i mean i don't lift the heavy weights but i do have a couple of 2kg dumbells that i use.. does that count?

Eating more sounds interesting. this is what i eat in a typical day..
    Breakfast: 40g porridge oats with desiccated coconut, flaked almonds, mixed seeds. fruit and a cup of tea.
    Snack: a homemade protein ball with protein powder, peanut butter, agave nectar, raisins, nuts.
    Lunch: either scrambled egg on wholemeal toast with mushrooms or 1/2 can soup 1/2 can mixed pulses and wholemeal toast
    Snack: low fat yoghurt with mixed berries
    Dinner: either chicken, salmon or turkey with wholewheat pasta, basmati rice, or couscous and 2 portions of veg.

how could i add in more carbs and protein into that because i feel like i'm eating a lot already?

Once again, thankyou for all the advice :happy:

xx
  • bean177
    bean177 Posts: 75
    Options

EXCELLENT article - it helps:happy: to refresh why we are on this journey and outlines a plan plain and simple - thanks for posting this link!!!!!!!
  • drrif
    drrif Posts: 28
    Options
    I would say too much carb...rice, pasta, porridge, all bad. Also running is best as you also get excess post-exercise oxygen consumption' or EPOC..
  • essentials2x7wl
    essentials2x7wl Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I've just read that too! Thankyou :) I will up my calories a little just need to work out how lol

Xx
  • ktmcqueen
    ktmcqueen Posts: 81
    Options
    I didn't read everyone's replies so someone might have already said this but just saw something I wanted to point out. The diet coke has caffeine in it. You have to drink the caffeine free sodas for it to not have any. And I do agree with the person that said you might not be eating enough. Good luck with your weightloss, keep us posted!