OMG, Mac & Cheese is EVIL!

Options
So I really wanted some today, I figured I have been snacking to eat my exercise calories lately, so might as well just use them at lunch right? Well now I have only 395 calories left for the day, over a cup and a half of mac n cheese! I just sat here for 30 minutes figuring this out, because I was sure it had to be wrong, over 1000 calories for a bowl of mac n cheese!? Ugh, never again!

Not to mention, I used less than what's on the box, to make it, only 2 tbsps of 2% milk and only 1 tbsp of margarine. So I added the mac n cheese unprepared first and then added the milk and ,margarine separately.

Replies

• RKA625
    RKA625 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    So I really wanted some today, I figured I have been snacking to eat my exercise calories lately, so might as well just use them at lunch right? Well now I have only 395 calories left for the day, over a cup and a half of mac n cheese! I just sat here for 30 minutes figuring this out, because I was sure it had to be wrong, over 1000 calories for a bowl of mac n cheese!? Ugh, never again!

Not to mention, I used less than what's on the box, to make it, only 2 tbsps of 2% milk and only 1 tbsp of margarine. So I added the mac n cheese unprepared first and then added the milk and ,margarine separately.
  • hapemopirate
    hapemopirate Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. I was ruined by the cheesey goodness once myself. :grumble:
  • mamaof2girls
    mamaof2girls Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    When you entered in the info for the mac & cheese unprepared did it ask for the serving size? I am pretty sure that the serving sizes unprepared are way different than the serving sizes prepared. You can maybe google the conversion, but I seem to remember reading somwhere that 1 cup of uncooked noodles is waaaaaayyyyyyyy more than 1 cup of cooked noodles. Hopefully it turns out to be better than you thought!!
  • heather0mc
    heather0mc Posts: 4,656 Member
    Options
    its a shame really. i cant NOT eat the whole box. i dont even keep it in the house because its too easy and to cheesy and to yummsy!
  • mamashrub
    mamashrub Posts: 128
    Options
    ugh.. I know..I looooooooove mac and chesse and I have had to accept that its evil..cheese has a lot of fat in it (120 cals for a 3 inch CUBE!!!) and pasta..well......sigh..
    I will eat it again soon..just right now it is soooo on my "No" list.
  • rmarlow
    rmarlow Posts: 64
    Options
    should have tried velveeta mac an cheese. It says it only has 344 calories, 54 carbs, 10 fat, and 20 protein for a 3/4 cup serving. Now how true that is, i don't know. Maybe I'll have to check on it and see.

127484.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Calorie Counter
  • mamashrub
    mamashrub Posts: 128
    Options
    Macaroni doubles its self as it cooks..1 cup uncooked macaroni will make 2 cups cooked.
  • rmarlow
    Options
    When you entered in the info for the mac & cheese unprepared did it ask for the serving size? I am pretty sure that the serving sizes unprepared are way different than the serving sizes prepared. You can maybe google the conversion, but I seem to remember reading somwhere that 1 cup of uncooked noodles is waaaaaayyyyyyyy more than 1 cup of cooked noodles. Hopefully it turns out to be better than you thought!!

You're right. A cup of uncooked noodles is more than a cup of cooked noodles.
  • mamaof2girls
    mamaof2girls Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I just found it...............2 oz. of dry pasta = 1 cup cooked pasta. Try altering your serving sizes accordingly. If you ate 1.5 cups of cooked mac& cheese you really only ate 3 oz of the package unprepared. Hope this helps!!
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    It depends on your brand... Kraft regularly prepared for 1 cup is 410 calories (and that's with all the milk and butter).

Don't beat yourself up...3 words... German Chocolate Cake. :grumble:
  • RKA625
    Options
    Well the noodles were cooked, just the butter and milk hadn't been added yet.

So tell me if I'm right. I scooped 1 and a half cups of cooked macaroni into my bowl. this means I ate 12 oz of mac n cheese.

So if a serving size is 2.5 oz, I take 12 oz and divide by 2.5 to get how many servings I had, which put me at 4.8 servings. Each serving has 260 calories in it, so I multiply 260 (calories per serving) by 4.8 (servings) and get 1248 calories, not including the 2 tbsps of milk and the 1 tbsp of margarine I used to prepare it. I added those separately.
  • chimpoco
    chimpoco Posts: 193
    Options
    When I cant fight the mac, I boil my noodles and add a slice of fat free kraft (the singles that are wrapped in plasic) I then give it a good spraying with fat free butter spray, With a little imagination this is almost as good as the "normal" mac and cheese.
  • rmarlow
    Options

So tell me if I'm right. I scooped 1 and a half cups of cooked macaroni into my bowl. this means I ate 12 oz of mac n cheese.

So if a serving size is 2.5 oz, I take 12 oz and divide by 2.5 to get how many servings I had, which put me at 4.8 servings. Each serving has 260 calories in it, so I multiply 260 (calories per serving) by 4.8 (servings) and get 1248 calories, not including the 2 tbsps of milk and the 1 tbsp of margarine I used to prepare it. I added those separately.

Slow down....that's too much math for one day. lol...Let me go back and read what was said earlier and I'll repost with some calculations for you.
  • crazybigchick
    Options
    I think the 2.5 is uncooked measure. There is no way a cup and a half of plain pasta was 1000 calories thank goodness!

Mac~n~cheese is still evil. It was my favorite comfort food and hard to stop at one helping.

Relax you definately ate under 1000 calories! :drinker:
    You could probably take it as two servings and still be on the safe side. JMHO
  • AmyNVegas
    AmyNVegas Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    I make my own-
    1 16 oz box of the Smart taste elbow mac(has a lot of extra fiber)(can also use whole wheat)
    1 8oz bag fat free sharp cheddar
    1 cup skim milk
    1 tsp prepared mustard or 1/2 tsp dry powdered mustard
    2 tbsp butter

Boil noodles and drain then stir in all other ingredients while it is still hot. I also like to put it in the oven to bake with whole wheat bread crumbs sprinkled on top but need to add a little more milk so it doesn't get dry. Bake for about 20 min on 350, until bread crumbs are toasted and mixture bubbles. Yum!:happy:

It's yummy with out the extra fat calories or chemicals in the processed mac n cheese.

Amy:bigsmile:
  • ChubbyBunny
    Options
    I think the math is off somewhere.
    Did you go in to the database and look up macaroni noodles?
  • RKA625
    Options
    lol, I'm so confused. Next time I'm just going to make the stinkin macaroni as it says to on the box. Although I don't NEED 4 tbsps of margarine in my mac n cheese.
  • rmarlow
    Options

Ok. try this and see if this works out.

2.5oz. of uncooked noodles is = 1 cup of cooked noodles

you had 1 1/2 cooked noodles

take 2.5/.5=.5

total that you had was 3 oz of uncooked noodles which is = to your 1 1/2 cup of cooked pasta.

Check that for your calorie intake on the food menu. I could be wrong...can anyone else double check my math here.
  • ChubbyBunny
    Options
    2.5oz=1 cup of macaroni

On this site in the database
    Macaroni noodles, enriched, cooked (plain) = 197 calories for 1 cup (2.5 oz)
    Macaroni noodles, enriched, cooked (plain) for 1.5 cups = 296 calories
  • rmarlow
    Options

Ok. try this and see if this works out.

2.5oz. of uncooked noodles is = 1 cup of cooked noodles

you had 1 1/2 cooked noodles

take 2.5/.5=.5

total that you had was 3 oz of uncooked noodles which is = to your 1 1/2 cup of cooked pasta.

Check that for your calorie intake on the food menu. I could be wrong...can anyone else double check my math here.

correction....you had 3.75 oz of uncooked noodles which is = to your 1 1/2 cup of cooked noodles