Question about breakdown of fats and proteins

Options
Hi all,

I read with interest about the risk of losing muscle mass whilst losing weight, and wondered whether muscle is consumed more or less readily than excess fat during a calorie deficit.

I've been doing a lot of running and walking and the weight is coming off, but now I am also starting to do a bit more weight-based training at the local gym and ideally I'd like to gain a bit of muscle or at least not lose any gains.

I guess my question could be thought of as, 'is there a point at which fat is burned but muscle can be increased'. I am not looking for bulk so much as strength and stamina, if that makes a difference.

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,737 Member
    Options
    You might want to go read this thread (even though the thread title sounds just a little bit different from your question - you'll find a lot of relevant info):

Recomposition: Maintaining weight while losing fat
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Eating adequate protein and doing resistance training will mitigate muscle loss while dieting. You're always going to lose some lean mass in the process...but maintaining a reasonable deficit, adequate protein, and resistance training will help keep those losses in check.
  • wessx1
    wessx1 Posts: 58 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I don't think reading will help , whilest it might provide general information it would be best for you could hire a trainer/coach at your local gym (or look for one ) who will be able to advise you with what will be best for you and your body and guide you to reach your targets.
    All the best
  • Vegplotter
    Vegplotter Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Eating adequate protein and doing resistance training will mitigate muscle loss while dieting. You're always going to lose some lean mass in the process...but maintaining a reasonable deficit, adequate protein, and resistance training will help keep those losses in check.
    This is sound advice. As long as you aren't a couch potato (in which case you won't have much muscle anyway) you will lose mainly fat.
    Make sure your diet is balanced (protein, carbs and fat) and keep active. It doesn't matter if you go to the gym or volunteer at an old folks home - it's all exercise that will keep your body in shape.
    Thin people BMI <19 are far more likely to lose muscle mass than slimmers.
    Also don't be duped by unscrupulous companies selling you whey protein or any type of high protein product. It will do you zero good unless you are consuming the carbs, fats, water and vitamins to go with it. And if you are eating masses of everything you are going to get fat!
    10% (pure) protein by mass should be your minimum consumption. There really isn't a max because like excess vitamins, most excess protein is excreted.