Is it better to make a smoothie from fruit or just eat them as they are?

Options
strawberryswirl01
strawberryswirl01 Posts: 31 Member
edited July 2016 in Food and Nutrition
So I've been making smoothies as I struggle to get my fruit in.
I apologise in advance if this a dumb question but is there a difference in goodness?
I find that when I've had a smoothie it sometimes makes me hungrier. I was hoping drinking smoothies would make me less hungry between meals.

Replies

• Lynzdee18
    Lynzdee18 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I'm the same. I eat too much when I use smoothies. And I'm always starving. It's better for me to eat the real deal. I think I need the chewing to make me feel like I've eaten something....
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Doesn't really matter from a nutrition or weight perspective. If you need to chew or just to have solid foods to feel satisfied, then that's your answer.

I eat a lot of smoothies this time of year. Frozen raspberries, protein powder, peanut butter, milk, maybe other goodies sometimes too. It's HOT. These are like sorbet so it's really nice.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I prefer smoothies over plain fruit, the only problem is my smoothies are rather... calorific. I add protein powder, pb2, chia seeds, flaxmeal and yogurt. But they are oh so delicious and very filling and thick enough to eat with a spoon.
  • upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    In the summer it is the fresh fruit, in the winter it is smoothies as I am using frozen.
  • 007Aggie
    007Aggie Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I prefer smoothies, as they take me longer to consume. I like to sip.

I make mine with fruit, Icelandic style yogurt, and a bit of water to loosen it up.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    So I've been making smoothies as I struggle to get my fruit in.
    I apologise in advance if this a dumb question but is there a difference in goodness?
    I find that when I've had a smoothie it sometimes makes me hungrier. I was hoping drinking smoothies would make me less hungry between meals.

You're hungry due to lack of chewing, less fibre (if juicing) for same calories

I would suggest for you with this response best to eat rather than drink your calories
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    Fruit is usually quick digesting so it's normal to feel hungry soon after eating it.

I make a 1,000 cal green smoothie every morning... it takes me about an hour to finish it and I feel hungry soon thereafter.

Try adding greens, protein powder, or some flax/chia seeds to your smoothies.

• littlechiaseed
    littlechiaseed Posts: 489 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I use smoothies for breakfast but I add in protein powder so they have about 24grams and I add some ground flax and half a banana and whatever fruit like peaches and raspberries or strawberries. So I'd suggest adding in a fiber like flax or chia along with 1/2 -1 scoop of protein powder.
  • JasonL2000
    JasonL2000 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I make smoothies and also enjoy the fruits the way they are as well. I don't follow smoothie recipes to the letter though. I basically take fruits on special and try them as smoothies. For example this week cantaloupe, blueberries and grapes were on a real good sale. So I bought some. I took 250g of cantaloupe, 200g of blueberries, and 200g of grapes and blended them together. I then divided that into three portions of about 8oz each. So one portion was 113 calories, 28g of carbs, 57% vA, 72% vC, 3g fiber, and 399mg potassium. I can't recall if I verified the accuracy of the entries in the database used to log these. The nice thing about fruit smoothies is you can add flax seed, spinach, carrot, and various other non-fruit things for a variety of nutrient benefits to form a pleasing sweet tasty healthy snack.
  • strawberryswirl01
    strawberryswirl01 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all you responses. My smoothies are usually bananas, berries & soya milk.
    I didn't think of the not chewing point, so thanks for those who pointed it out! :)
    I think from now on I'll make smoothies & eat fruit. Without making smoothies I don't intake as much fruit.
  • JC77721
    JC77721 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Any quick recipes? I used my nutribullet and added orange, strawberries, blueberries, (don't remember what other fruit) and almond milk but I really disliked the taste, I like it better just eating them.

OP, it is fine to blend fruits and drink them, just don't juice them
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    You are likely to eat less if you have to chew it than drink it.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I normally think that eating makes me more satisfied than drinking a smoothie, even if the ingredients are exactly the same, and if that's your experience, eat the fruit. Lately I find (with summer and all) that I'm craving smoothies and they have been really filling breakfasts. I do add vegetables (mostly greens, sometimes cucumber) and some protein powder (the vega + greens is my current thing) plus some coconut water and ice, and try not to go overboard with the fruit.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Fruit in either case isn't really particularly satiating IMO...fruit is just something I usually have as a quick snack or for desert, I really don't expect it to fill me up or keep me full. Personally, I don't really understand the "smoothie craze"...the only time I really ever have one is for recovery from a long ride or something...and it's a calorie bomb at about 900 calories.
  • fattyclatter
    fattyclatter Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    If it's just fruit, I'd suggest eating it rather than turning it into a smoothie just because eating it takes longer and tends to result in feeling fuller sooner so you eat less, or at least you can snack on it over a longer period of time so there's less opportunity to snack on the higher calorie foods.

But if it contains some veggies as well, sometimes turning it into a smoothie is a good way of adding those extra greens you might not want to eat raw or with your meal.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    JC77721 wrote: »
    Any quick recipes? I used my nutribullet and added orange, strawberries, blueberries, (don't remember what other fruit) and almond milk but I really disliked the taste, I like it better just eating them.

OP, it is fine to blend fruits and drink them, just don't juice them

No, that doesn't sound particularly appealing. Maybe in the right proportions it would be okay. I have a nutribullet as well. I usually do half full spinach (you won't taste it at all, but it makes the final product green), and then add some fruit, but only one or two types. Strawberry and banana, or strawberry and other berries are good together. Cherries (pitted) with some cocoa powder and honey. Honeydew and pineapple are good together. I have used coconut water, but usually just use tap water or black tea (depending on how tired I am. You can all add in some carrots for a little sweetness without changing the flavour too much.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    You should do whatever fits in your calorie goal and you enjoy, HOWEVER, this is my personal opinion.

I'm going to copy and paste a reply i made previously to someone who wanted to juice or drink smoothies for every meal because she wanted to give her digestion a break.

i don't agree with "you must eat all whole foods" in this video, but she provides some really good information on not only why eating blended/smoothies/etc. is not better than whole foods, but also the reason why it's NOT recommended.

I suggest you watch it, it's pretty eye opening. She is addressing the RawTil4 lifestyle, but her points address the way you're eating. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDLNstgQcBk&t=5m44s

And if you don't want to watch it let me go ahead and sum it up for you.

Essentially when you are eating whole foods in their natural form they are combined with fiber and micronutrients. When you are masticating your food it releases enzymes to break down the food you are eating. This food is meant to be broken down over a long period of time in your stomach and the fiber is meant to slow the absorption of carbohydrates into your blood stream. In addition, the more you chew, the slower you are eating, and the sooner you will feel "full".

Our hunger is triggered by a hormone called "ghrelin" which is produced stomache/duodenum. This hormone says "I'M HUNGRY FEED ME!" when the stomach is empty. When the stomach is stretched it reduces the hormone to say "okay, i'm full, i don't need to eat anymore".

When you are drinking juices or smoothies with a high water content they pass through the digestive system in a very short amount of time. This means that you will feel hungry again in a short period of time because the stomach is not being stretched (which triggers that hormone to stop producing). Whereas with the slow digestion of whole foods they would take up more space in your stomach causing you to feel fuller longer.

In addition, because eating foods in their whole form takes a longer time and requires a lot of chewing you will feel full sooner. For example, if you tried to sit down and eat all of these veggies/fruits you would find it a struggle, whereas you can drink them in a smoothie/shake/juice in 5 minutes no big deal. Where's the problem with this? If you were to eat them in whole form you may get a few hundred calories in before you're full... you can drink a 1,200 calories date-o-rade and be hungry an hour later.

Also, something that needs to be addressed is the idea that our digestion "needs a break". This could not be farther from the truth. In our body we have both voluntary and involuntary muscles and actions within the body. Our body has evolved to work this way.

For example, when you want to move your arm, your leg, blink your eyes, etc. These are all voluntary muscle contractions.

HOWEVER, involuntary muscle contractions happen without us even having to think about it. For example, your body is breathing and respirating right now. Your body is using energy right now. Your heart is pumping blood right now. And guess what... Smooth muscles found in the internal walls of the stomach, intestines, uterus, and blood vessels are working all the time whether you like it or not. In other words, even if you consumed nothing but water, or heck, nothing at all they are working ALL THE TIME.

So, consuming food this way is not only bad for regulating calories, digestion, and hormonal regulation....there's just no scientific backing to eating in this manner. There's no "giving your body a break". If there were... you might very well be dead. :open_mouth:
  • AnnieintheN0rth
    AnnieintheN0rth Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Personally, I find eating the fruit whole makes me feel full for longer. I think it's cos it takes longer to digest the solid fiber in the fruit than it does just the liquid content. Also, fruit juices are high in sugar so I think I have a typical 'sugar crash' afterwards.
  • JasonL2000
    JasonL2000 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Fruit in either case isn't really particularly satiating IMO...fruit is just something I usually have as a quick snack or for desert, I really don't expect it to fill me up or keep me full. Personally, I don't really understand the "smoothie craze"...the only time I really ever have one is for recovery from a long ride or something...and it's a calorie bomb at about 900 calories.

900 colories? How many ounces/grams serving or what the heck is in it to make it that much calories? I mean my typical 8 ounce serving smoothie runs at most 200 calories. And that's if I put something like yogurt in it.