Bioring has anyone heard of this?

Options
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/bioring-the-personal-trainer-on-your-finger-fitness-gadget#/?ref=11.go2.fund&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=11.go2.fund

This looks super cool! Automatically tracks your calorie INTAKE! Something tells me it might be too good to be true. Thoughts?

Replies

• BillMcKay1
    BillMcKay1 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Interesting idea, would need to see some pretty conclusive peer reviewed research to show that their bio-impedance measurements of cellular water and glucose can a) be done by their tech and b) is an accurate way to measure caloric intake.

Don't get me wrong, if this thing actually works as advertised, it would be a game changer to help accurately guage CICO. I will be following it closely.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    What they are suggesting is scientifically impossible. Some of the technology is actually highly inaccurate and to attempt to condense it all into a ring means even more inaccuracies. Looks cool, won't work like they say it will.
  • ejb499
    ejb499 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    What they are suggesting is scientifically impossible. Some of the technology is actually highly inaccurate and to attempt to condense it all into a ring means even more inaccuracies. Looks cool, won't work like they say it will.

Kinda what I thought as well. Would be really awesome if they could get it to work accurately though!
  • EDollah
    EDollah Posts: 464 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I just heard of this elsewhere and searched the forums to see if it was discussed and found this thread. I was hoping to see if there was any sort of verification done, because it does sound too good to be true but it looks like no independent validation has been done yet.

If it's accurate to 90%, for each individual measurement, I'll strongly consider getting one.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Looking at the bioelectrical impedance analysis part only I don't think that it would be even 90% accurate. The two contact points for measurement are on the same finger. In studies they determined that hand to hand BIA measurements (meaning a sensor in each hand) is the least accurate, foot to foot is still inaccurate, medical grade sensors attached to each hand and each foot (four site method) was the closest to accurate and still off by 5%. Consumer grade BIA is simply not accurate and having both sensors on a single finger makes zero sense from a scientific standpoint.
  • EDollah
    EDollah Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    In the true spirit of the "scientific standpoint" I'm going to wait for the results to be observed and measured. I'm well aware of the flaws of bioelectrical impedance and, absent any technical advances for this product, will be evident in the resulting data. I just want to see the data.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »
    Hang on, let me scan it with my tricorder.

I :heart: that

I'm reading it with this expression :huh:

I have to say yes that would be cool, no it is not possible, the margin of error for bio impedence even in the most complex 4 point scales is massive, a ring is not capable of measuring calories. The accelerometer on a finger?

It just all sounds ridiculous
  • juniperfox
    juniperfox Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    So it measures the amount of liquid going in & out of your cells. That's cool.

Would love to test one of these for a week & validate it against known data.