C25k too much too fast

fireytiger
fireytiger Posts: 236 Member
edited July 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi all, I'm trying to get into running, and everyone and their cousin recommends Couch to 5k to get started. But I'm obese category II, and I have a lot of issues with my tibialis anterior muscles getting strained if I do too much too fast. C25k is, for me, too much too fast. Right now I can just manage running 1 minute and then walking 3 mins, repeating 6 times. That last minute of running feels pretty brutal. But the first week of C25k wants me to run 1 minute and walk only 1.5 mins, repeating 8 times, and doing this 3 times a week. What's a fat girl to do? I know the shin pain issue isn't due to poor form, nor is it due to bad shoes (just got fitted for the best pair of running shoes i've ever owned), but simply because my muscles are weak as all get out. Are there any suggestions for maybe working up to each week of this program? Or maybe a better program for someone like me? I don't care how long it takes me to be able to run a mile (or eventually a 5k) but I want to do it right and not hurt myself. Thanks!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    So start with 1 minute/3 minute intervals
  • fireytiger
    Right, and I have been, but I don't know how to increase my running without doing too much too fast, and C25K is too big of a jump.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Then 1 minute 30 running, 2.30 walking... etc etc
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Take your time... if you are feeling it's too much, too fast - then listen to your body. Maybe you need 30 seconds of running and two minutes of walking (or four). C25K works for lots of people, but not EVERYONE!

Do what you can do for now, you'll get better and be able to run more eventually. :)
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Wolfena wrote: »
    Take your time... if you are feeling it's too much, too fast - then listen to your body. Maybe you need 30 seconds of running and two minutes of walking (or four). C25K works for lots of people, but not EVERYONE!

Do what you can do for now, you'll get better and be able to run more eventually. :)

This. And go slower. Even if you're shuffling along at about the same pace as you would be walking if you get both feet off the ground then you're jogging. Also, you can repeat the days as often as you want before moving on.
  • CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    C25K is a bit much for some. My sister did it and actually tried to warn me against doing that program. She did a 12 week program and had a much better experience.

Garmin has a 3 day per week for 12 week program through Full Potential if you would like I can send it to you. Unless you have a Garmin Connect account, then you can access it under Training Plans.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Yeah, I couldn't do it either, so I started with this followed by this
  • gramacanada
    gramacanada Posts: 558 Member
    Good on you fireytiger for getting started! Many programs are too much for some people to start on.
    If you've been away from exercising for a while (probably?) You may have to start at a less ambitious level.
    Maybe skip the running and just walk? You can always work up to the full program.
    There are lots of good walking programs. CDs. Leslie Sansone is popular. Google and YouTube have tons of info.
    Prevention magazine puts out a regular, Walking Issue.
    My thoughts are; exercise doesn't have to hurt. You should definitely-definitley! feel like you've done something, but if it actually hurts, many people quit. My opinion only.
    I use exercise bands. So much can be done with them, it is to a degree, like a gym workout.
    Especially for people just starting out.
    A quick (ish) few minutes walk to warm up. Lots of long slow stretching after.
    Right now it might be best to get your body doing Something Anything. And Hey! You Are!
    One step at a time. One day in a row. Good luck to you.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Personally I wouldn't go from zero to C25K, particularly in the obese category and particularly since you already have issues with tiabialis muscles...it's not an overly aggressive program, but that doesn't really matter when you're coming from nothing.

Personally, I just started out doing a lot of walking and then some other things like the elliptical, etc to just get my body used to being up and moving. I didn't start my C25K program for a few months once I was at least to moving my butt a bit more and my muscles and tendons were used to getting some work.
  • MissTattoo
    MissTattoo Posts: 1,203 Member
    Don't feel like you need to complete day 1 perfectly. Repeat day 1 until you can do it without dying. lol And you don't have to start in a full run. You can walk and then do "boosted walking" until you build up to a jog.

I failed C25K because I felt like I needed to do it perfectly. It's too much if you are overweight and never ran before. So I would start off by walking and then walking a bit faster with a little bounce in your step until you are comfortable with jogging. Repeat day 1 for a month if you need to!
  • fireytiger
    Thanks everyone for the advice! To those suggesting walking first, I have already been walking quite a lot. I've been on the path to getting healthier and more fit for 2 months now. My goal at first was to walk at least 15 mins every day, and pretty much right away I was able to move up to walking about 30-60 mins at a time daily with no issues. Right now, if you give me a pair of good sneakers I could walk a good pace (3 to 3.5mph) for miles and miles, up hills, gravel, dirt, pavement, etc. So i'm feeling ready to start running, but the running is hard on my shins, and it always has been since I hit adulthood (and obesity). I used to be an athlete in my teens and ran a lot, but what worked then is clearly not going to work now.

To those who linked/suggested running programs, thank you! I will look into them a little more closely and see which one will most likely work for me before I go out tonight. I've been sitting at 1 min/3 mins x6 for a couple weeks now and I really want to move on.
  • thiosulfate
    thiosulfate Posts: 262 Member
    edited July 2016
    If you think running is too much for your shins, you could always try a different exercise. Swimming is great exercise and it's not hard on the joints
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    fireytiger wrote: »
    Thanks everyone for the advice! To those suggesting walking first, I have already been walking quite a lot. I've been on the path to getting healthier and more fit for 2 months now. My goal at first was to walk at least 15 mins every day, and pretty much right away I was able to move up to walking about 30-60 mins at a time daily with no issues. Right now, if you give me a pair of good sneakers I could walk a good pace (3 to 3.5mph) for miles and miles, up hills, gravel, dirt, pavement, etc. So i'm feeling ready to start running, but the running is hard on my shins, and it always has been since I hit adulthood (and obesity). I used to be an athlete in my teens and ran a lot, but what worked then is clearly not going to work now.

To those who linked/suggested running programs, thank you! I will look into them a little more closely and see which one will most likely work for me before I go out tonight. I've been sitting at 1 min/3 mins x6 for a couple weeks now and I really want to move on.

Maybe you'd be better suited to a lower impact workout. I don't run anymore due to the high impact...I'm a pretty avid cyclist though and do a little swimming.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited July 2016
    If you decide to try the programs I linked, I strongly suggest you start with the conditioning one. Yes, you won't feel like you are doing much by running for 5 seconds, but it's called conditioning for a reason. It gets your muscles and tendons gradually used to the running movement and to having shorter walking intervals. Another tip: slow down. When I first started running I could walk faster than my running speed.

Edit: if you have an Android phone Impetus is amazing (and free).
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    How far can you walk without pain? I suggest you focus on walking further & faster before you try c25k. There's no reason to torture yourself. Running us hard when you're out of shape, overweight, & with physical issues. I know, I was there. It too me 1.5 years of walking before I tried c25k.
  • fireytiger
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    fireytiger wrote: »

Maybe you'd be better suited to a lower impact workout. I don't run anymore due to the high impact...I'm a pretty avid cyclist though and do a little swimming.

As stupid as this sounds, I know high impact is probably not the best choice for me right now (especially as i'm *ahem* well endowed), but I actually feel a real *need* to run. Like, I love the way it feels to run and my muscles feel a longing to run. I even have the stamina to do it, I'm rarely out of breath when I run. But my dang shins don't want to cooperate with this urge lol. I want to make it work because this is truly what I want to do. Plus i'm already out for the walks anyway.
  • fireytiger
    If you decide to try the programs I linked, I strongly suggest you start with the conditioning one. Yes, you won't feel like you are doing much by running for 5 seconds, but it's called conditioning for a reason. It gets your muscles and tendons gradually used to the running movement and to having shorter walking intervals. Another tip: slow down. When I first started running I could walk faster than my running speed.

Edit: if you have an Android phone Impetus is amazing (and free).

I do have an android phone, i'll look into that! Thanks! :) I'll probably end up trying the conditioning program too.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Honestly, you may just need to keep it much lower until you get some weight off. Running is damn hard on the body as it is, anyone who can do it when they are bigger than I was when I started is a superhero to me! I probably did too much high impact stuff for my weight to begin with (210lbs with old niggles I should have been more mindful of). It all resolved but I'd have had a happier time if I'd been more patient with myself and my fitness progress.
  • fireytiger
    lorrpb wrote: »
    How far can you walk without pain? I suggest you focus on walking further & faster before you try c25k. There's no reason to torture yourself. Running us hard when you're out of shape, overweight, & with physical issues. I know, I was there. It too me 1.5 years of walking before I tried c25k.

I can walk for hours without pain as long as I have good shoes. I love to walk, I used to walk 5 miles with my dad daily, sometimes twice a day, and I'm back up to the fitness level that I could do that again if he were here (he lives 2000 miles away, kinda hard to walk with him now lol).
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    C25K is a guide. You can (and should) adjust it to your needs if it moves too quickly for you.
    If the first week works well for you, do that for a second week.
    Then increase your running by 30 seconds and decrease your walking by 30 seconds. See how that works. You may need to adjust it more. For example 4 sessions of Week 1 timing, alternating with 4 sessions of your home-made Week 2 timing.
    As long as your progressing, you're improving. Don't get hurt in the process.
    You can do this. You're off to a good start.

How are your shoes? Good shoes help your legs and joints, which helps your running.
    How is your breathing? If you struggle with breath, slow your pace.