Weightlifting with adjustable Dumbbells?

Options
I see all of these posts about the importance of lifting heavy weights and after seeing the results, I am totally drinking the heavy lifting kool aid. The only problem is that I am a mom of two small children (2 year old and a 4 month old) and I am unable to go to a gym to workout. I do however have two sets of power blocks (I.e. Adjustable Dumbbells). One set goes up to 33 lbs and the other to 55lbs. Is it possible to do any sort of heavy weight lifting routine with the equipment I already have? If so, can you suggest any good ones? Most of the ones I have looked at seem to require a barbell but I don't have one, nor do I have the space to put one.

Replies

• chookywillow
    chookywillow Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I received my set of Power blocks yesterday and the leaflet in the box pictured a bar attachment that you attach a set to either end.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    There are certainly dumbbell routines, I'm sure someone will be along to advise.

Personally I lift lighter for more reps with my Powerblocks (and use Fitness Blender routines). Results may be a bit slower but I enjoy it and it's still strength training.
  • llmg970
    llmg970 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I have seen a lot of programs where they are using barbells but give alternatives with dumbbells.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    Should be okay until you are progressing to the point that the weights are too light for what you are doing.

Then maybe look into joining a gym? Maybe one that provides childcare if it fits your budget.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    Options
    You can do all of the major compound movements used in Stronglifts - a linear progression barbell program - with dumbbells. You will quickly top out in weight if your dumbbells only go up to 33/55 lbs BUT something is better than nothing.

The major lifts are squats, bench press, overhead press, deadlift and rows. Do a search for "how to" videos of the lifts on Google and just mimic the lifts w/your dumbbells.

Start w/the lowest weight that challenges you a bit but is still light enough to allow you to successfully do 5 sets of 5 reps and then progressively increase the weight each workout (usually no more than 3 days/wk) until you max out. At that point, you need to find heavier dumbells or transition to barbell training.

Good luck!
  • vjrozmia
    vjrozmia Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I did Chalean Extreme with dumbbells. After that I bought equipment for a home gym, barbell, weight bench, full rack etc. , once I had gotten a taste of the kool aid. :-)
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Hereis a list (link below) of the most commonly used lifting programmes.

Most of them can be adapted to use Dumbbells, would work for you, and even a selection of machines at the gym.
    Read through and then google how the lift is performed using what you have.
    Your hand weights will take you a so far then, If you want greater strength, or improved mass, you will have to move on to a bar bell. No need to worry about that at this stage though.

In the list of programmes there is one called All Pro. It is progressive compound like all the others, but it focuses on a rep progression (8-12) before a weight progression. This may make using your Dumbbells last a little longer.
    It does lean towards muscle gain over strength slightly, higher reps. But if you wanted strength over mass you could probable cycle it with lower reps. No expert, just my thought there. It is the programme I use.

I have a friend on the forums @RunRutheeRun, who has done wonders just with hand weights, hopefully she will get a chance to chime in.

Cheers, h.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • terrinicolefit
    terrinicolefit Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I have a ton of workouts on my video Instagram (@terrinicolefitness) where I include a lot of videos with Dumbbells for people to do at home! I also try to include in the description which muscle the exercise is targeting. Hope this helps!