Breakfast bars

Options
oBirdieo
oBirdieo Posts: 148
My friend gave me this recipe and I just made a batch of these at the weekend. They're SO GOOD. Great for breakfast, of course, but also perfect for a quick snack.

200g wholemeal flour (approx 1.5 cups)
75g light brown sugar (approx 1/2 cup)
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp mixed spice
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp sea salt
150g rolled oats (approx 1.5 cups)
160g dried apricots, chopped (approx 1 cup) -- or any dried fruit of your choice
70g sunflower seeds (approx 1/2 cup)
175ml unsweetened apple sauce (approx 6 oz)
100 ml unsweetened apple juice (approx 3 oz)
3 eggs
2 tsp vegetable oil

Line a 9 x 11 inch pan with baking parchment and spray lightly with PAM or Fry Light. Preheat the oven to 200C (400F).

Combine the first 10 ingredients. In a separate bowl, combine the apple sauce, juice, eggs, and oil. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients. Pour into the pan and spread evenly. Bake 20 minutes. Let cool, then flip them out of the pan and peel the parchment off. Makes 16 bars.

I keep mine stored in a tupperware container in the fridge and zap them in the microwave for about 15 seconds to soften them up in the morning. These freeze wonderfully, too.

With my ingredients, the values are: 163 cals, 26 carbs, 5 fat, 3 fiber, 5 protein, 1 sat fat

Replies

• Kimmer2011
    Kimmer2011 Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Thanks you, these look great!
  • susiewusie
    susiewusie Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I was just going to ask you how you made these when Isaw your diary ,thanks :) x
  • Pattywack74
    Options
    Bump!
    Thanks for sharing! sounds yummy!
  • Sarah_uk
    Sarah_uk Posts: 209
    Options
    Bump (for future use :) )
  • hedwardsb
    hedwardsb Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I'm always looking for breakfast bar options for my children because the prepackaged ones contain so much sugar.
  • ccsmiller
    ccsmiller Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    bump
  • crystalmichelle82
    Options
    sounds good. How much does it cost you to make that? About how many bars? I found that I need a lot more protein though so I shoot for at least 10 g of protein for that amount of calories, I want up to 20 g of protein if possible.
  • oBirdieo
    oBirdieo Posts: 148
    Options
    sounds good. How much does it cost you to make that? About how many bars? I found that I need a lot more protein though so I shoot for at least 10 g of protein for that amount of calories, I want up to 20 g of protein if possible.

The recipe makes 16 bars. I don't know how much they cost to make though -- maybe £2 (I'm in England). All of the ingredients are pantry staples for me, so I wouldn't have to go out of my way to whip up a batch of these.

You could definitely tweak the recipe to up the protein! The next time I make them I'll probably use less flour and sugar and include protein powder instead. This was the first time I made them so I wanted to follow the recipe exactly as written. :smile: