Always hungry

Options
So I have planned to start eating better from Monday and I have planned all my meals for the week but I'm just worried I will fail straight away as I always find that I am always hungry at night and just crave chocolate or biscuits or just anything sweet. Any advice would be appreciated.

Replies

• JoenDeb1958
    JoenDeb1958 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Rach0792
    Why at night? Do u work what's your schedule? Is your body clock off?
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, if you feel like you're going to fail, there's nothing any of us can say to change that. You need to have inner-motivation to take charge of your journey.

Secondly, there's nothing wrong with chocolate or eating at night. Save calories for a sweet snack at night. This is a lifestyle change, not a diet. So anything you are doing now, you will be stuck doing the rest of your life. So cutting out a whole food group, such as sweets, is not something you should do unless you will live your life that way once at your goal weight. Moderation is key.
  • Jelly_Beaner
    Jelly_Beaner Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Drink alot of water during the day..atleast a gallon of water especially if your working out. Eat more than the "3 meals a day"
  • B4Rachael
    B4Rachael Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Save calories for your night time snack, there is no reason that you can't work your snack into your daily meal plan.
  • Rach0792
    Rach0792 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I think there could be a few reasons
    1. I may have gotten into a habit of eating at night
    2. Could be boredom as my son goes to bed at around 8pm and I just find myself on my iPad
    3. I probably don't drink enough water

And so on.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,236 Member
    Options
    Also, besides what's been suggested already:
    • Be sure to get enough protein and healthy fat, spread through the day, from your eating.
    • It it's boredom, consider some new hobbies - ones that require clean hands are especially good (knitting, drawing, learning to play a musical instrument, etc.)
    • Try different variations on number & timing of meals/snacks to see what's most satisfying for you. Satiation is very individual, so what works for others may not be the same thing that works for you.
    • Review your food diary often (every few days at least) to identify foods whose calorie "cost" isn't worth the nutrition, satisfaction, or tastiness they give you. Reduce or drop those, and instead eat other foods you like that better meet your goals.
    • If you decide to save calories for evening snacking, it may help to identify a list of healthy snacks that work for you. Some to consider are home-made popcorn, cut-up veggies, fruit. (But it's OK to eat any snack in reasonable portions, as long as you get your daily nutrition & hit your calorie goal.) SOme people find it helpful to pre-portion or pre-log their snacks, as a sort of "snack budget".

And don't start Monday. Start today, even if it's only by logging what you'd normally eat, to get a baseline to work from.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Plan to have a square of dark chocolate at night. 60 calories. Victory!
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    I save 100 calories for a frozen ice cream bar every night after dinner, then I brush and floss my teeth and I only have tea (I have a million kinds that I love) for the rest of the night.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Always hungry and craving something sweet are two different things in my book, although I occasional get them mixed up too. I have had a little treat and then found myself wanting much more, and realized I was trying to satisfy real hunger with treats. I eat something nutrient dense in that case. I don't ignore real hunger very often, I think it's counterproductive in the long run to do so. If you're truly hungry that often, you might consider upping your calories.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Yeah I'm not seeing the link either. When I'm hungry, the last thing I want is to eat sweets.. I want something actually filling.
  • caradack1985
    caradack1985 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Sounds more like boredom eating than hunger. I'd agree with taking up a hobby that keeps you busy and make sure you drink enough. I found it really surprising how much of my hunger was actually boredom or thirst, once I learned how to distinguish the difference it was much easier to not eat all the things.
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Pre-logging a biscuit or chocolate for evening will allow you to have a sweet at the end of the day as part of your plan. This might make it easier to stay on plan and not feel so "hungry" (probably not so much physically hungry as just anxious about the idea of feeling hungry) and/or deprived. Having the biscuit or chocolate will be part of your plan. This would also provide a way of practicing eating a portion of biscuit or chocolate that is reasonable and part of a food plan, rather than a departure from your plan (which often leads to eating more biscuit or chocolate than is reasonable).

@eveandqsmom suggeston of brushing and flossing your teeth after your evening treat is excellent.
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    vespiquenn wrote: »
    Unfortunately, if you feel like you're going to fail, there's nothing any of us can say to change that. You need to have inner-motivation to take charge of your journey.

Secondly, there's nothing wrong with chocolate or eating at night. Save calories for a sweet snack at night. This is a lifestyle change, not a diet. So anything you are doing now, you will be stuck doing the rest of your life. So cutting out a whole food group, such as sweets, is not something you should do unless you will live your life that way once at your goal weight. Moderation is key.

That part.
  • willworkoutforwine
    willworkoutforwine Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I make room for a snack each night and it gives me something to look forward to each day, and helps me stay on track all day. I find the best motivation is seeing results on the scale, so give yourself time to get there and don't give up!
  • Rach0792
    Rach0792 Posts: 44 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I know it's only been 6 days but I've found it a lot easier than I thought it would be. I have been sticking to my meal plan and have also been under my calorie allowance so looking good so far. Let's hope that I can keep it up. Thank you for all of your advice
  • MiamiSeoul
    MiamiSeoul Posts: 1,809 Member
    Options
    Drink half your weight in water every day and try to get half of that in before lunch/noon.

Have your first meal a little later in the day. I know some people who eat very early. I find that I can wait to have breakfast after I've had my morning work out.
  • heartofplastic
    heartofplastic Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I have found that drinking a lot of water and a cup of green tea helps! Green tea and nuts (unsalted) kills the appetite in my opinion. Maybe it'll help you?