Too fat to lift

Options
I am in a deficit calories diet, trying to eat mostly fruit, Greek yogurt, fibers, turkey or fish. I lost almost 20 pounds in two months. I started at 211 lbs after giving birth.
Some days I don't go down with the weight or I even go up a couple pounds !
For exercise I'm walking 3-4 miles every day or hiking up hill.
I want to start weight lifting, but my husband says is better I keep walking until I am in the 160 lbs or II'll have the muscles under the fat and I will ruin my progress/diet because I will be starving after workout.
What do you think ?

Replies

• PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    Muscle isn't bad. You might stall out for a little bit if you add lifting, but you'll catch up in no time.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Start lifting. His point regarding increased hunger is certainly true for some, but the benefits of muscle retention far outweigh any increase in hunger. That hunger may also be alleviated with a high protein diet, which will have the added benefit of helping muscle retention.
  • shumm090
    shumm090 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Your husband had no idea what he's talking about. I agree with previous comments. Lift NOW! I started lifting at 198lbs after having a baby. I am now almost at my prepregnancy weight. I am smaller and look much better than I did before baby. Get to lifting!!
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I agree with those that say start lifting now. It will help preserve the muscle you have now. It's much easier to keep it than to try to rebuild it. You may be more hungry (I always am), but you can eat a little more, because you're working out. It took a while to find the right balance of nutrients and while meal timing doesn't influence your weight loss, you may find that certain eating patterns work better for you. These are individual factors, so you will need to experiment. I love how strong I feel when I'm lifting regularly.
  • cinnag4225
    cinnag4225 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    As others mentioned, your husband doesn't seem very well informed on the matter. When I was going to the gym I was 300+ and was able to handle lifting. The only thing that would keep me from doing it now (besides interest) is that I'm in need of some chiropractic therapy atm to fix some problems in my spine's C and upper T zones.

Your best bet would be to research lifting for beginners. Even if you're not ready to do the general recommendations, you can always cut pack weight, reps or sets to something you can sustain with moderate effort.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Here are the most popular programmes

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

Read theough them and find one you think will work for you.
    Most can be adapted for hand weights when you begin. I did body weight until I was a bit stronger. Loved Nerdfitness.

Start slow and low, concentrate on form. There is no rush, this is your goal.

Also, try to hit 1g of protein per lbs of what your weigh would be mid normal BMI.

Remember MFP is designed for you to eat back calories earned through exercise. (Your deficit is built into your basic goal) Start doing that now. 50-75% is what most eat back as MFP can overestimate.
    You will need all of those calories so your exercise doesn't drain energy from your everyday life.

Cheers, h.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    If you want to lift, start tomorrow. There is no reason to wait. Your mind and body composition will thank you.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Start lifting. I started at 5'3" and 240 lbs. I'm now 157 lbs and looking pretty darn fabulous thanks to lifting. There's no reason to wait. Start slow to ensure you don't overdo it, but start! Now!!

This is a great point. Lifting when you are bigger will give you an entirely different look when you diet down, even when you are on the heavier end of average/healthy. I'm 5'6ish and hover around 148-150. I look so much better now than I did 15 years ago at the same weight and the difference is the muscle base.

And this.

I'm 5'4" and I look just as small at 130-135lbs compared to other women my height at 120lbs, who don't lift.

BTW I'm heavier in my profile pic so don't judge
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    lift now,I started 4 years ago when I was at my heaviest 209 lbs. I wear smaller size clothing now weighing 25lbs more than I did when I was 25lbs less. it will change your body for sure.