what have u learnt about diet and /or fitness?

Options
I just learnt that if u are tracking calories and starting to work out u can actually temporarily gain weight in the beginning due to water retention repairing your muscles...

When I was just watching my calories the last few weeks I lost weight. Now that I am working out I gained a couple pounds and but it's slowly going down again.

Crazy how our body works

Replies

• hockeysniper8
    hockeysniper8 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Eating healthy at restaurants may not be healthy. I had a chicken breast burger from a restaurant and it still had 50 grams of fat, 700 calories. Myfitnesspal has been really good with tracking, just started using app 7 months ago
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Not to be afraid of carbohydrates. It's all good :)
  • lessismoreohio
    lessismoreohio Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    I've learned that weight loss is (for me anyway) 80% nutrition and 20% exercise.
  • LisaBrown23
    LisaBrown23 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    its boring
  • mom22dogs
    mom22dogs Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    It's time consuming.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Based on that my goal has never been "bikini fitness", just a normal, healthy body: It takes an effort, but if you're struggling, you're doing it wrong.
  • gwynethsomeday
    gwynethsomeday Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Real food seldom comes in grab-and-go snack form. Food prep @ home is important.
  • LisaBrown23
    LisaBrown23 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    i disagree with if youre struggling your doing it wrong, course it takes an effort to get started going, till your used to it, ive been doing mine every day for the past three weeks and im used to it now
  • kschramm7
    kschramm7 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Salads are not always the most healthy option on the menu. Check first, then order.
  • cinnag4225
    cinnag4225 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Sodium runs rampant in manufactured food.

Also, don't run a calorie deficit if you have to work late.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    Regular exercise is wonderful for so many things, but I could easily be overweight if I don't watch my calorie intake.

Oh and I don't burn nearly as many calories as I think I should be when out running :)
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    i disagree with if youre struggling your doing it wrong, course it takes an effort to get started going, till your used to it, ive been doing mine every day for the past three weeks and im used to it now

Change one or a few little behaviors at a time, something you easily can do, implement new ones when they become habits, and you won't even notice it. I enjoyed the weight loss, and I am enjoying maintenance. It feels strange to not worry (because I too believed weight management was supposed to be a constant battle), but so wonderful. I still change things up from time to time, and I've been in maintenance for 21 months :)
  • ClarityPeace
    ClarityPeace Posts: 81 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Drinking the recommended water per day helps weight loss & reduces hunger & that walking my 10000 steps every day ensures weight loss & is fun to boot.
  • norie92
    norie92 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I've learned a lot. I went ahead and took a course to be able to guide friends and family to a healthier place. I got a certification in Weight Loss Nutrition and it's awesome.

Eat a lot of fish & chicken, drink lots of water, fill up on vegetables, find healthy alternatives, have measured out servings of peanuts and/or vegetables nearby for a healthy snack, and that's been my formula lately. 11 pounds down, 4 more to go. I've also lost 25 pounds before simply using a calorie deficit.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Lifting programs with just the Big Four with an upper-back accessory (Squat, Bench, Deadlift, Press, and rows/cleans) are the most time-efficient ways to get stronger fast. The discipline needed to gain strength carries over to all parts of life.
  • mom22dogs
    mom22dogs Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    The other thing I've learned about diet is that it is amazing how relatively little food we need to eat to be healthy. 1400 calories is not much food at all.
  • saramichelle89
    saramichelle89 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Learn so much every day of it. It definitely takes commitment and consistency. With out that there will be struggles. Good luck to you!