Getting enough protein?

Options
slieber
slieber Posts: 765 Member
I am celiac and also have to be lactose and dairy free. I have noticed that I've been at least 50 to 75 g under my protein requirement on my exercise days. Any ideas how I can get in enough protein without adding too many calories?

Replies

• JimiJelly
    JimiJelly Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    lean meat (chicken breast, ground turkey)...you can get 20-25 grams of protein for 100 calories or so....most fish as well - tuna, tilapia, cod, etc....all pack a nice protein punch and won't cost you too many calories.
  • slieber
    Options
    That is a lot of food, though. I am not sure I can eat that much! That was my problem tonight. I'm still 50 g under, have calories left, but I'm too full to eat anymore.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Eat less carbs /sugar /fruit in order to fit in eggs, gf bacon, turkey, beef, nuts, fish, shrimp, other meats. Log the day before.
  • littlechiaseed
    littlechiaseed Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    There's gluten free, lactose free protein powder. Make a smoothie.
  • JasonL2000
    JasonL2000 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I don't face the same lactose and dairy free, however I have trouble getting enough protein in without going over one or both fat and carbs. Today was my best day at it. I had 18oz of chicken (2 meals), 2oz of salmon (snack), 4oz of oven roasted turkey (snack) and was still short 16g from the 175g of protein I'm supposed to get. And still had 600 out of 2,000 calories left for the day as well by 10pm. So I cheated and went to taco bell and got a couple things off the value menu. That put me at 176g of protein but over carbs by 33g and fat by 18g. I had no meat left in the house though. I plan to stock up on chicken, lean pork loin, salmon, lean ground turkey and/or beef, possibly other kinds of fish, and I'm considering adding one egg a day. I'm assuming 24oz or a little more of a combination of these a day should get me to the 175g I'm supposed to get.
  • berolcolour
    berolcolour Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Are you eating back your exercise calories? I don't, so I'm always under. I try to eat 100g protein a day minimum. Some exercise days it says I need 150g, but I ignore that because I'm keeping in a deficit.

Pulsin Soya protein powder is GF, vegan and dairy free. I buy a kg bag and it's cheap per serving. 10g is 37kcal and gives you 9g protein. (I usually use 20g in a shake)
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    First, make sure you have set your calorie goal correctly - if you want to lose weight, you should aim for no more than 1% of your total body weight per week. Then, make sure you are logging correctly - weigh everything in grams on an electrnic food scale, check entries for errors (or create your own), and log everything.

Setting the right macros is important to ensure satiety. If you are full already, maybe you don't need any more protein. Your protein need is pretty constant - 0.8 grams per pound of body weight at a healthy weight is a good goal. Don't eat back all your exercise calories - numbers are notoriously inflated.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Pre log your day so you can fit the protein in
  • slieber
    Options
    Thanks for the help. Not eating back the exercise cals will help considerably. I don't eat them ALL back but I was in them to about 100 calories over the past few days.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    slieber wrote: »
    Thanks for the help. Not eating back the exercise cals will help considerably. I don't eat them ALL back but I was in them to about 100 calories over the past few days.

If you're using mfp numbers you should be eating back exercise cals.
  • littlechiaseed
    edited July 2016
    Options
    slieber wrote: »

If you're using mfp numbers you should be eating back exercise cals.

I don't think mfp counts them correctly so it probably doesn't hurt to not eat them ALL back, as long as you're not like 1000 cals under
  • slieber
    Options
    I understand what you both mean. I know there's an inbuilt 500 calorie deficit. I also have that setup in my Fitbit.
  • JasonL2000
    JasonL2000 Posts: 21 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I have manually set my goals to 2,000 calories, 30% (150g) carbs, 35% (78g) fat, 35% (175g) protein. I have not manually set the micro-nutrients as I have not verified what they should be. I quickly used info from this thread (community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819055/setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets) to come up with the protein and fat numbers. I'm going to fine tune these goals as I had forgotten to find out more accurately my body fat percentage and BMR. Having the correct BF% should help me better reach the protein goal. I eat at least 2,000 calories but try to avoid going over by more than about 100 calories since my goal is to lose weight.
  • slieber
    Options
    Mine are also manually set. I have a little over 1600 in MFP.
  • JoshuaMcAllister
    JoshuaMcAllister Posts: 500 Member
    Options

It usually tastes like worse than plastic better sticking to real food.
  • slieber
    Options
    That is my worry, Joshua! :D
  • littlechiaseed
    Options

It usually tastes like worse than plastic better sticking to real food.
    Maybe if you use plastic fruit? I'm not sure what you are even talking about.
  • socalrunner59
    socalrunner59 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I'm celiac too. And lactose intolerant, my doctor tells me there is a very high rate of lactose intolerance with celiacs.

I get my protein from the following
    Peas
    Lentils
    Beans
    Eggs
    Chicken
    Fish
    Lactose free whole milk
    Tofu
    Quinoa
    Nuts
    Plant based complete amino acid powder