First time lifting weights FEMALE advice (which program)

Options
lima013
lima013 Posts: 80 Member
Hello,
I would like to start lifting weights as part of a routine for weight loss and toning. Does anyone have suggestions on a program that I can follow? I have free weights at home up to 24 pounds. I have a little baby and I do prefer working out from home. I have no clue where to start and I though a good advice from experienced people is always welcome!!. I am currently 188 lbs. 5'5" female. I am planning to begin iifym.
Thanks in advance

Replies

• socalrunner59
    socalrunner59 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Strong Curves by Bret Contreras & Kellie Davis.

Gives a number of routines from body weight exercises to advance weight lifting. It's specific to women.
    He provides information on nutrition as well.

Contreras is a Ph.D, respected trainer. Davis is a mom, competitive bodybuilder and trainer.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I'll second Strong Curves. I recently bought the book and started the program. Even with the modifications I have to do because I work out at home, I'm really enjoying it. Just finished Week 4 tonight :smiley:

I also bought New Rules of Lifting for Women. Read it and liked it, but Strong Curves was a better fit for me.

One of my co-workers has been doing Strong Lifts 5x5 for a few years and she swears by it. But I find it a bit too much for me. I don't think I could handle the weight progression yet. Maybe when I've lifted longer and gotten stronger.
  • lima013
    Options
    Thanks so much for your responses!! I will look into strong curves to know more about it.
  • Arathels
    Arathels Posts: 6,883 Member
    Options
    I don't follow a program, I just pick things up and put them down again.
    What I did do however was to hire a Personal Trainer wile I was getting the hang of it.
    I fear I might need him again to improve myself but it's worth it.. so my advice, get a gym membership, find a personal trainer and pick stuff up.
  • megemrj
    megemrj Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    I do Strong Lifts 5x5 and really enjoy it. I started it at the end of March 2016 and have seen so many changes in my physique it's almost surreal!!
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    I vote for Stronglifts 5x5 as well, because it is super easy to follow and it has an app you can download to track your progress!
  • Bmoremama
    Bmoremama Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I love StrongLifts but it's not something you can do at home unless you have a squat/power rack.
  • lima013
    Options
    I've heard good things about SL but I don't think I will receive the same benefits by workings out with free weights. I wish I can have a power rack at home but at the moment is not possible.
  • BodyByBex
    BodyByBex Posts: 3,685 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    megemrj wrote: »
    I do Strong Lifts 5x5 and really enjoy it. I started it at the end of March 2016 and have seen so many changes in my physique it's almost surreal!!

I started in January and after YEARS of hating how large my calves were, they slimmed slightly and the definition popped out earlier this month. I love them now because they show part of my progress!

ETA: You can also progress at your own pace, you don't always HAVE to do what the app tells you. I've deloaded and been progressing more slowly after a minor injury in May. I still really enjoy it.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Someone who likes to workout at home and only has 24lb Dumbbells is not going to be able to follow stronglifts or elements of strong curves

OP you will probably need bodyweight or dumbbell programme adaptions to bw

https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/prison-workout-the-jailhouse-strong-routine.html

Remember strength is all about progression