Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

women over 50

shazzmatazz
shazzmatazz Posts: 18 Member
AnY women just need to lose 20-50lbs? How did your meals go?

Replies

• nddavis1
    nddavis1 Posts: 9 Member
    That's me.....my meals are all calorie counted, no alcohol, no bread, and no added sugar, smaller portions, each every 3 hours to get the metabolism going?
  • misscagal
    misscagal Posts: 195 Member
    edited July 2016
    Not quite 50 but close - just tracking everything, cut back alcohol to special occasions and little to no snacking unless it's fruit or vegetable. Down -13 of 40lbs since May

Edit - I still do have the odd treat such as chocolate but very infrequently
  • b3achy
    b3achy Posts: 2,082 Member
    edited July 2016
    I'm 51yo, have lost 10lbs, and have 20lbs to go.

Not really sure what you are asking. It's going to vary greatly from person to person. Your calorie allocation is going to depend on your start weight (vs height), how fast you want to lose, how much you want to lose total, and your activity level. Those variables could be the difference between 100's of calories/day. And then take into account the type of food you like to eat and which nutrients you might be tracking, and the potential meal combinations are quite varied.

Personally, I've not restricted myself from eating anything, if that is what you are asking. My primary goal is to maintain a calorie deficit with a secondary goal to meet my balanced macros for protein/carbs/fats at 35/35/30. I didn't do a high carb macro ratio because I needed more protein (tend toward a protein deficiency at my advanced age), but I also can't do a low carb ratio for other health reasons. So, I've been trying to do a balance ratio, and it has been working for me. What you decide will depend on your goals.

Some days I eat pretty healthy and balanced (fav easy meal is steamed mahi, steamed corn on the cob, fruit for dessert), other days I have some less than healthy meals (beef jerky, pringles, cheese, fruit) though I will try to restrict this to one meal or snack for that day. Though it really doesn't matter for weight loss as long as I keep within my calorie goals. The less healthy meals though aren't the best for getting proper nutrients, but sometimes it's just a grab and go issue. I need to get better at pre-prep of food, to reduce this from happening.

I will say the calorie limit combined with the macros causes me to make decisions about what I will eat each day. Do I really want something with empty calories (like some candy (50-160 cals) or a sweet drink like a can of soda (250 cals)) or would I rather use those calories to fill me up and give me nutrients (like have some fruit (70 cals), or make a protein smoothie (150-240 cals)). Honestly, sometimes that answer is that I'd rather have the empty calories because I really want that piece of candy or that soda. However, the decisions tend to be getting better as I go along, especially when I get to the end of the day and I'm still hungry because I didn't make the more nutrient filled decision. Though I do tend to allocate enough calories for at least a glass of wine or a beer each day (BTW, a light beer or glass of wine has less calories than a can of soda).

Hope some of that helps...

ETA: And yes, as others said, Log EVERYTHING...the good, the bad, and the ugly. Logging every little thing that goes into your mouth - food, condiments, drinks - is key to understanding how much you really are consuming each day.
  • tipadoo
    tipadoo Posts: 104 Member
    I'm 51 with MS and menopause! Double whammy in the heat of the summer. I've lost 19 pounds since March. I'm pretty darn happy about that. I'm doing 10,000-12,000 walking steps a day and eating under 1700 calories. I want to maintain long term so I don't deny myself any food...I just keep my calories under the 1700 mark. Eating more protein keeps me full longer so I'm not hunting for snacks. Seems to be working. Good luck everybody.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    51 with 20 pounds to go. I Barely drink, eat clean and stay within my weekly deficit, primarily as a result of walking 60-90 minutes a day. I try to end every day with 250 calories in the green.
  • daworley
    daworley Posts: 238 Member
    54, want to lose 20 more (I have lost 20) but should lose 30 or 40 more! I eat between 1200-1500 calories a day and do not stress over it. Although I would like the weight gone tomorrow, it isn't going to happen that way, so I just live my life and eat in that calorie range. I do 20-60 minutes of exercise/activity at least 5 days a week and I get at least 10,000+ steps nearly every day which is about my max during the week as I sit at a desk all day! I started in mid May this year.
  • DebBahr
    DebBahr Posts: 110 Member
    I am 50 years old and it took me 9 months to get to my goal weight. I am 5' 9.5". Start weight was 208 and current weight is 160. I'm thinking I could lose a few more pounds but I am pretty happy. I go to the gym 5 days a week and workout for about 1 hour 30 minutes - cardio and weight machines. When I was losing I logged my food about 5 days a week. I cut way back on carbs. I still will eat oats, quinoa, brown rice, etc. but I rarely (once a month) eat pasta, pizza, bread etc. I've cut back on sugar but will still have a treat 2-3 times a week. Before it was almost everyday.

Many times I eat something different than my family. I make pasta a couple times a week as one of my sons is a distance runner. I will just eat the sauce with veggies. I eat overnight oats almost everyday for breakfast and I have salad 5 days a week for lunch. I usually have an apple and almonds for snacks at work. I prep my breakfast, lunch, and snacks the night before because I go to the gym at 5:30 in the morning so I don't have time for any od that before work. It's an effort but worth it.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!