Diabetic Type 2

Options
I am a Type 2 diabetic. Does My Fitness Pal allow you to track your blood sugar before and after meals to help identify trends?

Replies

• WildlifeCoach
    WildlifeCoach Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Maybe just put in under "notes"? If you find it, send me a message!
  • Vegplotter
    Vegplotter Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    With diabetes type2 you shouldn't need to track your blood sugars. Why are you doing that?
  • jennilee1074
    jennilee1074 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Vegplotter just curious as to why you say that. My doctor told me something similar. He's more concerned with the a1c.
  • RainaProske
    RainaProske Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I track my blood/sugars, too, using MFP to do it. As suggested, I use the notes to do it. I also changed the three meals to times of eating ("12 a.m. - 11:59 a.m."; "12 p.m. - 4:49 p.m."; and "5 p.m. - 11:59 p.m.")
  • mom22dogs
    mom22dogs Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Vegplotter wrote: »
    With diabetes type2 you shouldn't need to track your blood sugars. Why are you doing that?

My mother has type 2 and tracks her blood sugar. She didn't for a long time and she ended up in the hospital because of it. Why wouldn't you track it?
  • xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    MFP doesn't track blood sugars at the moment, but there are plenty of programs out there that do. I personally use MySugr to keep track.
  • babybird2016
    babybird2016 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thank you to all that responded. I currently track with Glucose Companion. RainaProske I will try your suggestion.
  • MarkusDarwath
    MarkusDarwath Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I just track with my glucometer. If I wasn't tracking I wouldn't have figured out how basically useless the meds are, and wouldn't currently be fixing it with my diet.

Also, type 2 can go into insulin dependence (I'm avoiding that one), and from what I understand, tracking is absolutely vital when taking insulin.
  • RainaProske
    RainaProske Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I'm a bit anal about tracking, because I am on insulin by necessity. Things were going downhill fast before I started taking insulin, even though I'd lost @123 pounds and was down to a eight of 113. Also, I am very undisciplined, so I have to see what I'm doing by tracking it here. I have to see the blood/glucose numbers and mull over how much insulin to take.
  • juliehoweneanover
    juliehoweneanover Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I too am type 2 and without tracking I would be on insulin. If I'm not tracking I am not compliant on my eating. It's the if I don't see it....it won't hurt me theory. It helps me see what foods to eat and how they effect my sugar levels.
  • beerbelly74
    beerbelly74 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My fasting is always around low 80's to high 90's ..every now and then it will hit 104.. but I don't take any meds. I'm 284 lbs and need to drop weight hope this app works for me . I'm type 2 , hopefully I'll make some friends in here