Should I bulk or should I cut?

Options
elishazf
elishazf Posts: 332 Member
Hi all,

Lately I've been getting into lifting again after several months of not lifting. My question is, should I bulk or should I cut? Currently I'm 6 foot and approximately 190 pounds

Replies

• jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    What is your body fat percentage? You could be 190 shredded or 190 with a fair amount of fat.
  • elishazf
    Options
    I'm not sure. I'll have to figure it out. I'm definitely not shredded, as you can see from my picture. I have a fair amount of fat, but I wouldn't say I'm fat or chubby
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    elishazf wrote: »
    I'm not sure. I'll have to figure it out. I'm definitely not shredded, as you can see from my picture. I have a fair amount of fat, but I wouldn't say I'm fat or chubby

Then you probably want to cut
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    How are we supposed to answer this for you
    How do you want to look?

Based on that answer, choose the path that's heading in that general direction.
  • elishazf
    Options
    I wanna get that tapered V, lean look
  • cecsav1
    cecsav1 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Generally, if you have to ask, you should cut.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

Do you have any appreciable muscle mass?
  • Tomm88
    Tomm88 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I really would avoid the whole cut and bulk thing, magazines and pro bodybuilders gave us the idea that you need to get fat in order to gain size which isnt the case at all. I'd find out your maintaince calories and add around 200-300 and try and add strengh with the main lifts year round, squat, bench, deadlifts and weighted chins and dips.

The whole get fat then lean out thing is a supplement company scam to sell you "mass gainers" and creatines then sell you L carnitines and hydroxycut *kitten* to "pull the fat off"
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    If you have a decent amount of fat hanging off ya (sorry for not being eloquent, haven't finished coffee), cut.

If you're looking good, why not just lift around maintenance calories for a bit? How long have you been lifting for? Do you have a plan, training wise, for a bulk?
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I struggle with this too. My solution is to set mostly arbitrary objective targets in one direction or the other and then when I get there, set an arbitrary objective target the other direction. Of course, I tend to tweak these as I get closer. My current target is sub-12% body fat (which should be around 165 pounds). (I'm currently at 13.5% as of my most recent dexa, down from ~22% at the beginning of the year.) From there, my next target will be however big I can get while staying under 16ish%. And then back down to sub-12% (which hopefully won't take as long this time since I'll be starting leaner.

As for which one first, just pick one...or don't pick one at all. There are plenty of arguments online for either direction. Just work hard at whatever goal you pick now and then work hard when you pick a different goal several months from now. You won't be at your ultimate goal in six months no matter what you choose now, so in the big picture, it really doesn't matter.
  • BodayJohnnay
    BodayJohnnay Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    What are your goals? To have a better looking physique or to increase performance? (sport athletic)
    Are you going for the 6 pack with low bodyfat or would you want more mass on your frame?
    8%bodyfat at 190lbs is a lot different than 8%bodyfat at 220lbs.
    Bulk is to gain muscle...cut to lose bodyfat. So, now what do YOU want to do?
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options

Do you have a shirtless photo.. not flirting.. LOL

looking for a better photo to see your body fat around your mid section.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options

A v taper will come from developed lats, shoulders and traps. Along with a naturally thin waistline dependant on genetics, also good posture. If you want a tighter waistline as well, work on performing stomach vacuums a few times a week. Getting leaner won't give you a V taper if you don't have adequate muscle mass.