Ways to stay active with a desk job.

Options
I'm a college student, but I am working full time this summer at a desk job. Lately, I have started doing things like walking around the parking lot a couple times a day and using the first floor bathroom (I'm on the second floor of my building). I always take the stairs. Does anyone else have any ideas for ways to increase your activity level while working a desk job? Creativity is welcome :smile:

Replies

• sophieshaped
    sophieshaped Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Always make the tea ;o)
  • 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Its tough working a desk job. I have been at a desk job 5 years since finishing college. I put on 40lbs in that 5 years. I have gotten rid of about half of it this spring/summer, trying to get to my goal by mid August. My point is that its tough when at a desk job, you have to watch food intake all that much more because you can't just jump up and go run it off. Lunch time walks is something that can help, find excuses to get up and deliver stuff or visit other people in the office. Do situps/crunches, jumping jacks etc during the day or at lunch. They make exercise machines that go under your desk that you can use throughout the day, though I have never tried it nor wanted to spend money on it. I find excuses to take laps around the building and rather than pick up the phone or email someone I will walk over to their office and do a face to face. I figure this gives me some mobility plus gives my eyes a rest from staring at the computer, plus gives my back a chance to stretch out.
  • janna674
    janna674 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I sneak my lunch at my desk, always have my HRM, Sneakers and Ipod and at Noon i take a 30 minute walk...if i am starving i do 25 mins and hit the market where there is a salad bar ...so i can get something healthy to eat....I also constantly fill water bottles and leave them in the freezer til they get a little crunchy...i love some cold water and it keeps you full.
  • chicka200413
    Options
    try standing at your desk... my co worker does it all day, he had his computer moved up and everything. He says it is better for your posture and you burn an extra 60-100 calories or so... I never tried it so I don't know

I also go up one floor to the bathroom....

My co worker leaves hand weights at her desk to do when she needs a break.
  • amayzingamanda
    amayzingamanda Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I'm really interested in any suggestions too!

I work at an agency and our creative team is upstairs. A couple of them actually have those exercise balls that they sometimes sit on during the day. it helps your posture and it apparently works your core since you need to use those muscles slightly to stay seated properly. I'm considering getting one.
  • ksr5000
    ksr5000 Posts: 19
    Options
    it sounds like you have it pretty much covered. Basically, just find reasons to get up and walk around. Don't neglect your job or your responsibilities of course, but like was said before, go talk to someone rather than sending an email, use the rest room on the other side of the building or other stairs.

The only thing I think was missed was park as far away as possible. If close enough, walking to and from work would be even better.
  • alynnbennett
    alynnbennett Posts: 182
    Options
    Tricep dips!! I do them all the time. You put your hands on your desk with your butt towards the desk and just dip down, keep your feet about hip width apart try not to extend your knee over your toe or it will give you knee problems but they work great it works your legs and triceps at the same time plus gives you some energy and it's much better energy than the candy bar which is what I use to go too!!!! :o)
  • twilightfan20
    twilightfan20 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I'm currently working at a desk job over the summer at LSU until the Fall semester starts. It gets highly boring and I feel lazy sitting here most of the day doing absolutely nothing except answering phones. When my boss needs to run errands, I offer to go for her instead just to be able to walk the campus. Also, instead of using the bathroom in our building, I go to the one across the street. Other than that, I do most of my workout at the gym on campus.

393342.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • HalloweenNinja
    Options
    it sounds like you have it pretty much covered. Basically, just find reasons to get up and walk around. Don't neglect your job or your responsibilities of course, but like was said before, go talk to someone rather than sending an email, use the rest room on the other side of the building or other stairs.

The only thing I think was missed was park as far away as possible. If close enough, walking to and from work would be even better.

Those are nice suggestions, but I for one would definitely be letting any employee using these methods know that I consider them time wasting and would be keeping an eye on their productivity vs. their colleagues.

Of course they could use this as a motivational factor and instead jog/run around the workplace to talk to someone rather than email and to use the rest room on the other side of the building. As long as they agree that we aren't liable for any accidents and it doesn't affect their productivity, fair play to them. All the better if they can run to and from the far end rest room quicker than their colleague can walk to and from the closest. =]