Why is this happening : (

Options
I have been working out 6 days a week for almost 2 months and I figured my endurance would increase over time. Lately I have not been able to work out as long as I normally do. I get tired rather quickly and even though it feels as though I have done the 30 to 45 min workout, it turns out I've only done 15 min. What's really going on?

Replies

• Jenscan
    Jenscan Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough?
    Is your iron level okay?
    Are you bored with the workout and need a change?
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Maybe let your body take a break - you can swim or walk or something different than what you have been doing, and then find a new, exciting workout to try.
  • shellee9tj
    shellee9tj Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Yes I agree to change things up a bit and definitely let your body have rest days!
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough?
    Is your iron level okay?

All good suggestions.

How hard are you hitting these workouts? What sort of workouts are they? Are you working the same body parts day after day without letting them rest?

You may be overtraining. Being tired, having difficulty sleeping and the same workout seeming more difficult over time instead of easier are signs of overtraining. Essentially, the muscles are torn down with exercise and rebuild and grow stronger while resting. So if you never rest, then all you do is tear down. Make sense?

Your diary is locked, so it's hard to see what you're eating. But the composition of your diet can also make a big difference in your endurance and recovery from exercise.
  • riannenrings
    riannenrings Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    even taking a one day a week break always seems to really impact my endurance level. the first day back is always hard. boredom can also play a big role. find something fun like a dvd or something, go for a bike ride, and see if you feel the same?
  • foodforfuel
    foodforfuel Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Just curious, do you take statins or anything for high cholesterol?
  • cpauscher
    cpauscher Posts: 41
    Options
    I agree with all of the other messages. One thing I would add--when was your last medical check up. Maybe there is something medically going on.
  • cjpblue
    cjpblue Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have mornings when I feel this way and it is always tied to not eating enough the night before for me. Make sure you are getting enough fuel in your system. Is there a chance you are pregnant? Also, if you haven't had a blood panel done in the last 6 months go in and request one from your doctor.
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    Go see your doctor, tell them your symptoms, it could be many things, over training, not enough calories, not enough rest(which is basically the same as over training) or it could be serious like a blockage in an artery, this is very common with an arterial blockage.
  • barbiex3
    barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    your body is probably just exhausted. I can run 6 miles in 55 min one week then the next week I cannot even run 1 miles without thinking i'm going to die.

Try resting. I think eating clean helps. If you are drinking a lot of diet pop or just regular pop or energy drinks or anything or alcohol or junk it will slow you down.

I would go out to the store and buy muscle milk light then rest it today try doing yoga to get the extra calories or go on a walk

but tomorrow try hitting it hard again!
  • Tereztaylor07
    Options
    You might be anemic, which can lead to fatigue and shortness of breath. A doctor can diagnose you and prescribe an iron supplement. Also, if I use the same workout routine alot, it gets boring and FEELS longer to me.
  • Akiyah
    Akiyah Posts: 57
    Options
    Are you eating enough?
    Is your iron level okay?

All good suggestions.

How hard are you hitting these workouts? What sort of workouts are they? Are you working the same body parts day after day without letting them rest?

You may be overtraining. Being tired, having difficulty sleeping and the same workout seeming more difficult over time instead of easier are signs of overtraining. Essentially, the muscles are torn down with exercise and rebuild and grow stronger while resting. So if you never rest, then all you do is tear down. Make sense?

Your diary is locked, so it's hard to see what you're eating. But the composition of your diet can also make a big difference in your endurance and recovery from exercise.
    I have treadmill at home and I walk and run everyday for 30 to 45 min. then I do floor exercises, crunches,squats,pushups,leg lifts and weights for the arms.
  • TinaDay1114
    TinaDay1114 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    I'd get a really good check-up w/your doctor. Your endurance should get better.

Be careful of this kind of tiredness, too. My dad had severe blockages in his arteries that turned out to be completely hereditary -- he was doing everyrthing right, eating well, working out hard, even had low blood pressure, but started getting drained completely when he did his morning workouts. He had to sit down afterward. Turns out he wasn't getting enough oxygen to keep his body going. It was a wake-up call, and he had to have a triple bypass.

I've already had a baseline stress test @ age 38 so I could have something to compare later. Even if nothing is twrong, it couldn't hurt to have one.

Good luck, and keep listening to your body!!
  • Akiyah
    Options
    You might be anemic, which can lead to fatigue and shortness of breath. A doctor can diagnose you and prescribe an iron supplement. Also, if I use the same workout routine alot, it gets boring and FEELS longer to me.
    [/quote

That's a good possibility.
  • Caseyanna
    Caseyanna Posts: 53
    Options
    I would take a short break (maybe 3-4 days off). I just started working out vigorously about 2 months ago as well and my endurance is far better.
  • Akiyah
    Options
    Are you eating enough?
    Is your iron level okay?

All good suggestions.

Makes a lot of sense, thanks!
  • jea1668
    jea1668 Posts: 32
    Options
    I agree with alot of what was said above:)! 2 months and 6 days a week (first off great job!), you could be getting very bored if youre doing the same thing everyday for cardio or weights, try changing what you do up, if you switch from treadmill or elliptical or bike daily or every now and then, try doing ten minutes at a time on each machine, then youve already got 30 minutes before you know it! thats what I do if I start to get tired too quick, thats when I know I'm getting bored and maybe even subconsciously making it so I feel like I need to stop. That or maybe throw in another rest day for a week or two and see how youre feeling (and check your eating! if youre working out that much you should be eating a bunch more!), could be that your body just is running low on its reserves and needs another day or so to charge itself up :)!
  • Akiyah
    Options
    Just curious, do you take statins or anything for high cholesterol?

No I see my doctor on a regular basis and only take the high blood pressure meds. My cholesterol is fine. I have been told that my good cholesterol is a bit low...hence the exercise...it's a good way to get the good cholesterol.
  • Akiyah
    Options
    I agree with alot of what was said above:)! 2 months and 6 days a week (first off great job!), you could be getting very bored if youre doing the same thing everyday for cardio or weights, try changing what you do up, if you switch from treadmill or elliptical or bike daily or every now and then, try doing ten minutes at a time on each machine, then youve already got 30 minutes before you know it! thats what I do if I start to get tired too quick, thats when I know I'm getting bored and maybe even subconsciously making it so I feel like I need to stop. That or maybe throw in another rest day for a week or two and see how youre feeling (and check your eating! if youre working out that much you should be eating a bunch more!), could be that your body just is running low on its reserves and needs another day or so to charge itself up :)!

I should try another day of rest, it's hard for me to give myself a break because I feel guilty if I skip too much knowing I have so much weight to lose...lol
  • Akiyah
    Options
    your body is probably just exhausted. I can run 6 miles in 55 min one week then the next week I cannot even run 1 miles without thinking i'm going to die.

Try resting. I think eating clean helps. If you are drinking a lot of diet pop or just regular pop or energy drinks or anything or alcohol or junk it will slow you down.

I would go out to the store and buy muscle milk light then rest it today try doing yoga to get the extra calories or go on a walk

but tomorrow try hitting it hard again!