Ovaltine! Is it good for you?

Options
Ovaltine has a lot of vitamins in it and it seems good for you, but is it?
Does anyone know if it will make me gain weight because it has 9 grams of sugar per every 2tbs of ovaltine mix.
I put it in fat free milk. :)
thanks everyone

~Always love new friends, feel free to add me. :)

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    As long as it fits in your calorie goal it will not make you gain weight. Nothing on its own will make you gain weight, you need to eat more calories than you burn to gain. That being said, I would not consider it "healthy" as it is processed, but if most of your diet is clean then no reason why you cannot make it a part of your balanced diet.
  • Jadesfattorment
    Options
    Thanks, I will try to limit it, Sadly I love processed foods :)
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    its not totally horrible and there are many better choices for you...I wouldnt put it in my body
  • rayleansout
    Options
    I would just go with a low carb (low sugar) protein powder and water - much better nutritional value. Skim milk has sugar in it. Every 8oz has 12 grams of sugar and most of us will drink more like 14 - 16 oz. Personally id stay away from sugar or sugar alcohols as much as possible. I bet the ovaltine has about 18 grams of sugar for two tablespoons. So if you add it all up say about 40-42 grams of sugar. More than a 12 oz can of coke.

1 gram of sugar = 4 calories so - 42 x4 = 168 calories of sugar which spikes insulin causing fat storage.

Insulin lowers fat utilization because insulin will prevent the oxidation of fatty acids by blocking fats from entering the mitochondria of cells to be used for energy and insulin when affected by a sugar spike has the direct ability to prevent you from using fat for fuel.

Big doses of sugar are never good for weight loss.
  • Jadesfattorment
    Options
    This makes since ^^ thanks! I will try and limit the sugar for sure! but what about calcium from the milk?
  • starshine420
    Options
    It's better than say hershey's syrup, but it's not "good" for you, the vitamins in are good, the calcium in it is good, but you don't want to have a real ton of sugar. Use it as a once and while treat and you'll be fine. Find a healthy alternative for when you want that chocolatey drink but it's not time for a treat. Do you know what I mean?
  • Amandadale06905
    Amandadale06905 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This is a drink to have every morning like I do. It is very good for the body with lots of vitamins and minerals. It also gives you energy. Drink 20oz every morning. It fills you up for most of the day too.
  • norie92
    norie92 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    The sugar content is not great, it'd be better to have a chocolate protein shake but feel free to indulge every now and then.

Just to break it down, Milk has about 12g of sugar per 1 cup, that Ovaltine has 9g per 2tbsp so it's likely that you're having sugar well into the 30 gram mark. Sugar causes your insulin to spike which causes storing of fat. If you have this every day with other carb-heavy foods it's likely that you will become insulin resistant which makes it harder for your body to use it as energy.

No, not trying to scare you. I took a weight loss nutrition course so I've been trying to spread the word.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    If you like it and can fit it into your calorie, why not?
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Why not just have milk with a multivitamin? The vitamins in ovaltine are just ground up vitamins anyway.
    * I never buy products because they are fortified with vitamins.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    What's up with the necro today?
  • norie92
    norie92 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    What's up with the necro today?

Damn, I should've checked the date
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    017f8f9.jpg
  • CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    It makes you more than keen at games and sports :-)

https://youtu.be/qMyY1hTqTzc