Jump Rope!

Options
I recently invested in a jump rope for exercise.

According to livestrong.com, a 200lb person at a rate of 70 jumps per minute could burn 500 calories in 34 minutes (or 14.8 calories per minute). If done everyday, you could burn one pound in a week!
Also according to this article, someone weighing 160 lbs could burn about 730 calories in 60 minutes of jumping.

I found this to be inspiring and easy for me since I have 5 kids and it's harder for me to get out for a run everyday and usually am not much of a runner anyway (as of yet).

Thought it was worth sharing!

Replies

• dlm7507
    dlm7507 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Can you jump rope? It's a self limiting exercise. Very limiting until your good at it. There is good instruction available if you are not already good at it. Like this.
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    I'm dying to jump rope. I think it would be an excellent addition to my workout! Used to do it as a kid, I'd probably need a bit of ramp up time.
  • lozerrfaceXOmommy
    lozerrfaceXOmommy Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    At first I kept getting caught up after about 20 jumps, but I've now got the hang of it now and it's super fun! I think it's a perfect addition to any workout routine.
  • Gaz_Palmer
    Gaz_Palmer Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Firstly 30 mins of jump rope is extremely high intensity...until you get so good at it that it would become extremely low intensity, from muscle memory and technique.
    Also that much cardio (when its high intensity) will give you huge appetite and you'll mostt likely eat the 500 calories back.
    Its a great exercise, but use as part of a complete routine.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I've got a jump rope and never use it because I'm no good at it and it hasn't been for a lack of trying. I can't even imagine jumping rope for 30 mins in a row, let alone 60.

If I can manage to avoid catching the rope in my feet, I'm done in a min and I really don't aspire to do better. So, for cardio, I'll stick to my spin bike or rower which I am much better at. LOL!!!
  • nikki8412
    nikki8412 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Love jumping rope! When I've got 30 minutes or less to work out I go outside, listen to some music and get 'er done! Have fun and thanks for sharing.
  • BodyzLanguage
    BodyzLanguage Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Do it. It's f*king awesome. You'll be dropping the fat real quick jumping rope. You can do 1 minute on then 1 minute off to get your stamina up. Once you build your stamina you can increase your minutes and decrease your rest time.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    Curious now that it's been a few days as to whether the OP is able to jump for 30 straight minutes (most beginners can't run that long, let alone jump that long).

Don't get too caught up in "this exercise burns X calories in 30 minutes." Most of the ones with higher numbers have those high numbers because of their high intensity which limits the amount of time a person can actually do the exercise.
  • HamsterManV2
    HamsterManV2 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Jumping rope for longer than 5-10 minutes straight (with varying intensity) is already a challenge, much less 30 minutes. Don't use jump rope to burn calories, use it to increase cardiovascular abilities.

Most weight loss comes from the kitchen, not the gym.
  • loridz
    loridz Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I love my jump rope. Great cardio to mix into other workouts or do on its own.
  • GaryRuns
    GaryRuns Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I'm so awful at it. I had spin-tone class once and he added jumping rope one session. He laughed his butt off at me! It's like watching a child learn to do it when you watch me. LOL.

That's why I like running, zero skill because I'm a zero skill type of guy. ;)
  • kellyshell215
    kellyshell215 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I like Jumping Rope, I dont do it everyday because after I while it tends to be boring, I'm not a running person, but I can say its just like running but more intense because you almost use lots of muscles, unlike from running where you use your lower body.
    I like mixing it up with other workouts, like kickboing or maybe bodyweight cardio exercises. Most of the time I make myself a challenge to do 1500-3000 reps of jumping rope (every 500rep I rest for 30 sec) and it takes me from 15-40min.
  • pdxhak
    pdxhak Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I used to jump rope a lot and doing it for 30 minutes is difficult. Doing it for 60 minutes would be extremely difficult. My old routine would sometimes last 25-35 minutes and that was interval based and taking 60 second breaks.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    I bought a jump rope recently and am pretty excited to start doing it again. I figured I could use it in the mornings before work if I have about 5 - 10 mins and want a quick mini workout...just enough to wake me up from my haze. Plus it looks like fun!