Anyone with experience in fasting?

Options
I'm interested and wondering if it really works due to the fact that supposedly your body "stores fat" and goes into "starvation mode" when you don't eat.

Anyone have an suggestions for a beginner? I think it'd be cool to test out.

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    What type of fasting! It's a way of eating but you still need to count calories.
  • lizzynose
    lizzynose Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    http://m.disclose.tv/action/viewvideo/110651/BBC_Horizon_2012_Eat_Fast_and_Live_Longer/

This BBC documentary about the 5 2 diet and the science behind it is a good place to start!
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    What type of fasting! It's a way of eating but you still need to count calories.

This. There are a few different types to think about.

And ignore anything you've read about "starvation mode".
  • stinsjer000
    stinsjer000 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »

I did some research on the different types, but wanted some real insight and which type was possibly the best. That will definitely depend on the person. I have done the 16 hour fast and 8 hour window to eat (while counting calories) and it worked somewhat, but I'm still weighing out my options.
  • Karb_Kween
    Karb_Kween Posts: 2,681 Member
    Options
    Here's a link of health benefits

http://www.lifehack.org/articles/lifestyle/10-benefits-of-fasting-that-will-surprise-you.html

I usually do the 16/8 method and occasionally the eat stop eat method which is 24 hours.

Eat stop eat is really hard but its very beneficial for your digestive system
  • stinsjer000
    stinsjer000 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Karb_Kween wrote: »

http://www.lifehack.org/articles/lifestyle/10-benefits-of-fasting-that-will-surprise-you.html

I usually do the 16/8 method and occasionally the eat stop eat method which is 24 hours.

I came across the OMAD... diet. (If that's what you'd like to call it.) It's just like the stop and eat method. You eat your calorie intake at one point of the day, and then wait until the next day to be able to eat again at that same time. I know it will be hard for me because I love snacking on fruits during the day, but everyone loves the results they get. And since tomorrow is Monday, I'm going to give it a go. I mean I don't have anything to lose, because I am not going far with what I'm doing now. Exercise,1700 cals a day. I end up plateauing after 8 pounds, even with a cheat day once a week to reset your metabolism and lowering my calories. (I first started out with 1900.) Plus, I've been something of that sort. I've been fasting til 8PM-12/1PM and eating only two moderate meals a day within my calorie intake.

The thing I hate most is being on summer break from my classes cause I'm one of those people that mindlessly eat, and when I'm more occupied, I don't even think about food or the fact that my stomach is growling. Definitely am a bored eater!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »

I did some research on the different types, but wanted some real insight and which type was possibly the best. That will definitely depend on the person. I have done the 16 hour fast and 8 hour window to eat (while counting calories) and it worked somewhat, but I'm still weighing out my options.

That's more about what makes it easier to create a deficit than any magic benefits, but is worth a try if it appeals to you. I think eating windows work great for many people. I do a similar thing by just not snacking, but have considered doing an eating window or (more appealing to me, but can't figure out how to work it with my lifestyle/workout schedule) 5:2.

And, as others have said, starvation mode is not something to worry about, nor is a metabolism slow down from such a short fasting period (or even many longer ones). You won't want to cut overall calories too low for a number of reasons, but claims about "starvation mode" making it impossible to lose weight are bunk.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    Karb_Kween wrote: »

I use Eat Stop Eat on religious fast days (Ash Wednesday for example) and for the occasional medical test. I don't have trouble when I fast for religious reasons, but struggle when I am doing it for medical reasons. That says more about me than fasting, I think.

I have tried 16:8 as well, but it doesn't always work out with my family's schedule, so I gave it up. I've lost weight without it and didn't notice any change in weight loss or general health with it.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I'm interested and wondering if it really works due to the fact that supposedly your body "stores fat" and goes into "starvation mode" when you don't eat.

Anyone have an suggestions for a beginner? I think it'd be cool to test out.

starvation mode isn't a thing

You might want to have a read about IF specifically for women, when i was looking into it i found some interesting stuff about longer feeding windows being better for women to help balance hormones.

I found it useful in terms of learning to eat more mindfully - having breakfast when hungry instead of because its breakfast time, for example , but it never really stuck for me. I have plenty of pals who love it though.

The other thing is that IF is an eating style, not a weight loss method. so you'll need 5:2 fasting if your primary motivation is weight loss.
  • kevinf2380
    kevinf2380 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I was interested in this as well. Mainly after watching naked and afraid. The definition of these people after 21 days was crazy. I know their fasting was extreme but the results couldn't be denied. I'm sure they lost muscle as well as fat. I was wondering if a fast method could be a way to reset your body. Get it to a place where you're at a weight you like then build muscle from there? Is that super unhealthy or a common way some people go?