tight and painful calves

Options
Hi there, yesterday I went to an aqua aerobics class with my boyfriends Mum which was wonderful but today my calves are killing me!

They feel incredibly tight and painful can anyone advise on how to ease this pain? I've been doing my usual housework and they have eased a little but after resting they are just as painful again.

Is this to be expected when you aren't used to exercise? I haveto admit I've been somewhat of a couch potato over recent months

Jenna xxx

Replies

• leilamarie
    leilamarie Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    2 words. Rolling pin. Roll them with a rolling pin! I should feel some what uncomfortable but the long run, it will feel good!
  • adrian_indy
    adrian_indy Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    It wasn't the aqua aerobics that got me {although I have done them), it was a full body strengthening class, and my calves froze up everytime I sat down.

Drink lots of water, take a long walk, and stay moving. Do some stretching also. And even though this sounds crazy, stand on your stairs and do some calve raises to get the blood flowing to them. See if that helps.
  • LaurieEReid
    LaurieEReid Posts: 273
    Options
    Any calf stretches: stand on the edge of a stair and push your heel down. One at a time. Hold for a count of 10 and do the other one. 5 or 6 reps. Do it again later in the day.

Forward lunge. Make sure that the toes are pointed straight forward.

Just stand and lift the toe off the ground as high as you can. One at a time. Hold and then the other.
  • iamvillanueva
    Options
    Stretch the calves out by standing on a step with your heels hanging off the step and gently press your heels toward the floor. Should feel good.
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    It's not expected with exercise if you warm-up properly.

Do some stretch. Feel better
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    Lots of water, and STRETCH!!! Then walk around, then stretch some more. Like shampoo, REPEAT. Good luck!!
  • ABL0930
    ABL0930 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I was just about to give the same advice as Adrian - drink a lot of water!

I also agree on continuing to do exercise and be sure to do full stretches afterwards - that's when you really get the benefit.

I think the yoga position downward dog (google it) is a great one for calf stretches.
  • kristalhope
    kristalhope Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Laurie's advice is great.

I have flat feet and chronic achilles tendonitus. My calf muscles are always tight and I stretch them a few times a day to stop the achilles from becoming inflamed. I do the stairs 3 times a day.

here are some easy calf stretches with images: http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-241-287--8969-0,00.html
  • jea1668
    jea1668 Posts: 32
    Options
    Girl I get the same thing if I work out really hard! I can tell you that rolling helps, there are also foam rollers you can buy especially for this kind of thing that can be used for calves and i think backs and necks etc but I havent tried them before, I had my boyfriend rub along the muscles and although it absolutely killed in the beginning after 4 or 5 minutes they felt fabulous, from there on out stretching is a good way, like some of the MFP-ers mentioned above there are those stretches designed specifially to target your calves and they do help!!! Mine just seem to respond better to massaging them out and then BEFORE I got to workout doing some of the stretches for them and also after working out to try and keep the tightness at bay:)! hope youve found something that works!!!
  • irridia
    irridia Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    you can also take arnica homeopathic tablets (they are actually naturopathic and contain arnica), or asprin/ibuprofen if it is safe for you, sports cremes, heat and then stretch. Do NOT use a pain reliver and stretch without warming either by exersizing or through external heat! Arnica creme or gel is also good.

Oh and if you do massage or rollers as others suggest, make certain that you push towards the heart to help push the lactic acid out of the muscle. Also BCAA right after a hard work out is supposed to help. I've not been taking it long enough to report on its effectiveness, however. Be forwarned if you don't get the flavoured stuff it tastes NASTY!
  • ziggy67
    ziggy67 Posts: 351
    Options
    Yep...this sounds like a case of unaccustomed exercise.....I do water aerobics three times a week and I remember the feeling when I first started.....it got me in my feet as well and I used to get terrible cramp in my toes. I found self massage very helpful...just rub and press the calves as hard as you can stand it and this should help relieve the pain. I do this sitting down not standing... Remember to rub upwards so that the blood flow is directed towards the heart.
  • nyctraveler
    nyctraveler Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    i can totally relate!!!

my right calf is killing me after monday's work out

I look like a limping dog when I walk ....if I sit down and then have to walk it's so painful but if you keep moving, the pain gets better
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I had the same thing happen yesterday at water jogging. I got a cramp in my left calf and after stretching and trying to walk through it for 20 mins I had no relief. It's still there today and feels more like a charlie horse gone bad. :(

I've been drinking lots of water so that should help but I've also been told to eat a banana, not sure if that really helps but foods rich in potassium, magnesium and sodium are supposed to help replace electrolytes and help cramps..
  • Project28
    Project28 Posts: 21
    Options
    Thank you all so much there is some really fabulous advice here!

I'm definitely unacustomed to exercise but fingers crossed I shall soon be accustomed!

I love this website and all you guys on it you're so helpful, there's no way I'd feel motivated to carry on without all this great support!

xxx
  • LoraEllen
    LoraEllen Posts: 81
    Options
    Lots of great ideas posted here. Stretching, lots of water, massage.....I thought I would add that Biofreeze or Mary Kay's Mint Bliss Lotion (it has eucalyptus in it) are two products that really help me. I did my first marathon in January and they had Biofreeze at the stations and I think it saved me there towards the end. Now, if my muscles are sore I use that.

Keep in mind that this is a good soreness. It means your muscles are changing and adjusting to a new healthier lifestyle. So most importantly do all these suggestions but under NO CIRCUMSTANCES should you quit because you feel uncomfortable. This will pass.

Many people give up because its uncomfortable (including me in the past) but I pushed through that when I was preparing for the marathon and I'm SO GLAD I did because I was able to accomplish my goal. I hope that you will too! Keep moving :)
  • Project28
    Project28 Posts: 21
    Options
    Lots of great ideas posted here. Stretching, lots of water, massage.....I thought I would add that Biofreeze or Mary Kay's Mint Bliss Lotion (it has eucalyptus in it) are two products that really help me. I did my first marathon in January and they had Biofreeze at the stations and I think it saved me there towards the end. Now, if my muscles are sore I use that.

Keep in mind that this is a good soreness. It means your muscles are changing and adjusting to a new healthier lifestyle. So most importantly do all these suggestions but under NO CIRCUMSTANCES should you quit because you feel uncomfortable. This will pass.

Many people give up because its uncomfortable (including me in the past) but I pushed through that when I was preparing for the marathon and I'm SO GLAD I did because I was able to accomplish my goal. I hope that you will too! Keep moving :)

Thank you so much for this :0) All these comments are really helping to keep me motivated!1 I have quit in the past but refuse to this time, I've exercised each day since but am mkaing sure to take time to stretch properly and I'm not over doing it.

How did you do in your marathon? What a great acheivement! xx