When should i start weight training?

Options
skyhowl
skyhowl Posts: 206 Member
edited July 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
Hello everyone, i've been logging on MFP for about 3 months, til now i was able to lose 12 kg
i am 173 cm (5ft 8in) and i am currently 71.5 kg. i am not sure how much do i want to lose, but i am thinking a few more kgs but i don't know what would be the best weight to stop my caloric deficit diet and start muscle gain??.
i know that weight training in a calorie deficit will not make me gain muscles (or at least that's what i think)
i don't really know much about weight training. but is there's a certain point that you would recommend weight training at?

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    You should do it right away, if you want.

Do you feel ready to start?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Yesterday. Weight training will mitigate the loss of lean mass during the weight loss process..it's far easier to preserve what you have than to lose it and then have to rebuild it later.
  • skyhowl
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

i am very ready actually :), i just don't know where to start yet. i am kinda planning ahead too much i guess. thinking about when i am going to stop losing and when i am going to stop gaining. i will probably start right away. any tips? :)
  • arditarose
    Options
    skyhowl wrote: »

i am very ready actually :), i just don't know where to start yet. i am kinda planning ahead too much i guess. thinking about when i am going to stop losing and when i am going to stop gaining. i will probably start right away. any tips? :)

You're not planning too much. You SHOULD have plans and goals.

So, there is standard advice and programs you'll get on here. But what are you doing now? Have you touched a free weight or a barbell? What is your history with exercise like?
  • skyhowl
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Yesterday. Weight training will mitigate the loss of lean mass during the weight loss process..it's far easier to preserve what you have than to lose it and then have to rebuild it later.

True :) i should probably start right away, i should expect muscle gain, but it will at least preserve the muscles i already have, but what would be the ultimate weight to stop my calorie deficit? and do i have to eat at a surplus to gain?
  • arditarose
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

True :) i should probably start right away, i should expect muscle gain, but it will at least preserve the muscles i already have, but what would be the ultimate weight to stop my calorie deficit? and do i have to eat at a surplus to gain?

The goal of weight training in a deficit shouldn't be muscle gain, it should be to preserve muscle-so body composition. Sometimes overweight beginners gain a bit of muscle in a deficit, but it's not an amount that stops the scale from moving downward.

You'll know when to stop the deficit once you see what you like in the mirror. From there you can move into maintenance if you continue weight training you will STILL see your body change. Eating at a surplus will cause you to gain fat and muscle, considering you are on a proper training program. I wouldn't think that far down the line yet.
  • skyhowl
    Options

So, there is standard advice and programs you'll get on here. But what are you doing now? Have you touched a free weight or a barbell? What is your history with exercise like?

well, the only time i actually done weight training in my life was last year "i went to the gym for 3 months continuously, 4 days a week probably", but i was doing it pretty wrong, was training all muscles group at the same day, and i was probably at a calorie deficit -not sure- so after 3 months not seeing improvement other than i was able to increase the weight a little (i was pretty much focused on how i look like and not seeing improvements made me quit), so i used free weight and a barbell, and also some of the weight training devices that you can only find in the gym.
    i did some weight lifting for my back, shoulders, triceps, biceps, legs.

i don't really remember the weights i used, but i probably used the range from first to the third weight in those devices -sorry for my terms- i don't know what you call the weights that are attached to the device.

right now, I've been only doing cardio, running, and elliptical. not too much though.
    the only thing i can do good in terms of training is squatting -i used to squat alot with no weights for years-
    but now squatting is kinda easy for me. i can do like +50 reps until i can feel the burn.

i don't know if this counts
  • arditarose
    Options

well, the only time i actually done weight training in my life was last year "i went to the gym for 3 months continuously, 4 days a week probably", but i was doing it pretty wrong, was training all muscles group at the same day, and i was probably at a calorie deficit -not sure- so after 3 months not seeing improvement other than i was able to increase the weight a little (i was pretty much focused on how i look like and not seeing improvements made me quit), so i used free weight and a barbell, and also some of the weight training devices that you can only find in the gym.

i don't really remember the weights i used, but i probably used the range from first to the third weight in those devices -sorry for my terms- i don't know what you call the weights that are attached to the device.

right now, I've been only doing cardio, running, and elliptical. not too much though.
    the only thing i can do good in terms of training is squatting -i used to squat alot with no weights for years-
    but now squatting is kinda easy for me. i can do like +50 reps until i can feel the burn.

So the compound lifts with a barbell that are the basis for a good training program are the squat, deadlift, overhead press, bench press (and maybe barbell row). These need to be learned with good form. There are a lot of programs out there that will tell you what to lift, how much and when. There are videos on form. But there is nothing like having a trainer help you with form, if you can afford it. It is worth an investment to meet with someone once per week for a couple of months.

Beginner programs include: Strong Lifts 5x5, New Rules of Lifting, Starting Strength, All Pros Beginner Routine, just to name a few.

Strong Lifts 5x5 has a website that describes the program and shows videos of all the lifts. Why don't you peruse it, see if it's something you're interested in, and ask questions. If not that exact program, does lifting in this fashion seem like something you want to do?
  • xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    Weight training helps prevent muscle loss, so starting now helps ensure that what you lose is more fat than muscle.
  • skyhowl
    Options

So the compound lifts with a barbell that are the basis for a good training program are the squat, deadlift, overhead press, bench press (and maybe barbell row). These need to be learned with good form. There are a lot of programs out there that will tell you what to lift, how much and when. There are videos on form. But there is nothing like having a trainer help you with form, if you can afford it. It is worth an investment to meet with someone once per week for a couple of months.

Beginner programs include: Strong Lifts 5x5, New Rules of Lifting, Starting Strength, All Pros Beginner Routine, just to name a few.

Strong Lifts 5x5 has a website that describes the program and shows videos of all the lifts. Why don't you peruse it, see if it's something you're interested in, and ask questions. If not that exact program, does lifting in this fashion seem like something you want to do?

i am checking the website now, thank you. i will also see if i can meet with a trainer. :)
  • dreaming13000
    dreaming13000 Posts: 68 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    NOW!! I started with light weights in my living room, supreme 90 x, affordable set of dvd's, and I got in great shape and I learned a lot about proper form etc. 6 months later I started stronglifts 5x5 at a weight room near by! Learned traditional compound lifting. 2 years later I found crossfit and by the time I started there I was ready for powerlifting.

Go for it! You'll feel amazing and it's nice to be strong too as a side effect!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Yesterday.