Fitbit steps

Options
rosey35
rosey35 Posts: 150 Member
So far I have done over 36100 steps today. I also did 2 hours of other non Fitbit wearing workout which burned about 640 calories I'm using a zip.

I gave mfp set to sendendary i average about 22000 steps a day, 1 day a week I do no workout at all average maybe 2000 steps at most.

I'm 5"3 and 163lbs

Today the adjustment has me eating over 1800 calories

Does this seem high to you, how do I get a lower adjustment

Replies

• Lynzdee18
    Lynzdee18 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I don't believe sedentary means that many steps.

Your adjustment is likely correct.

I use sedentary although I more active. It rewards me for moving my body by reminding me IF I don't move myself enough, this is all I can eat today. Mean, huh? But effective! ;)
  • rosey35
    Options
    Anyone else want to weigh in
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    The 1 time I did that number of steps, I got a +1200 calorie adjustment.

I'm 5' tall and was ~120 pounds at the time.

Your 1800 isn't unreasonable as you're taller and heavier than I was.

~Lyssa
  • jmidd97
    jmidd97 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I'm with Lyndzdee18 on this - 22,000 steps is not sedentary, your calories should absolutely increase from the amount given to a sedentary person. I know it's hard to get out of the mindset that "but if I eat even less than what MFP gives me I'll lose weight even faster!", but trust me: bad idea. Been there, done that.
    For references sake, I'm also 5'3ish, 18, 114lbs and average about 12,000 steps a day - and I'm eating at least 1400 a day.
    You could do what many other people do, and not eat back all of the adjustment calories, maybe leave 100-200, depending on how big the adjustment is.
  • charlenekapf
    charlenekapf Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    22000 is a decent amount! That's over 10 miles. I use the stair master and then the treadmill, plus whatever steps i get going about my day...usually 3k more than after the gym by the end of the day. When I am super active i hit about 15k steps....and my total burn can be from 2500-3000 depending on who much intense power walking with incline and stair master i do. I get my heart rate up really high for 30 mins and that ads a good 200-300 calories on top of the other stuff. I would say try following the increased intake for as long as it gives it to you and if you start gaining, just reduce back down. i would always have the goal for maximizing your caloric intake while losing weight rather than eating less and getting frustrated when you have to decrease your intake more when you stall.
  • rosey35
    Options
    I have change it to active which gives me 1740 calories for a 1lb a week loss, should I eat back some of my calorie?. I have 20lbs to lose.
  • rosey35
    Options
    Bump
  • rosey35
    Options
    Bump
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    rosey35 wrote: »
    I have change it to active which gives me 1740 calories for a 1lb a week loss, should I eat back some of my calorie?. I have 20lbs to lose.

I am 5'7" weigh 162 and am 47 years old. I've been on MFP for 3 years on the 13th of this month. I lost from 197 to 157 and I have spent the last year between 156 and 168.5 (I gained some stress eating weight when my grandmother passed last year, not gonna lie about or even care, I'm getting back where I need to be.) I do NOT walk as much as you; I do lift heavy weights 3-4 times per week and walk at least 1.3 miles most days. My calorie allowance at active to lose .5lb/wk is 1680. Since you're allowed more calories than me I am going to assume you're younger than me - that does matter for metabolism.

My advice to you is this: if you're still hungry after 1740 calories, then eat into the exercise adjustment. If you're not, don't. It's really been as simple as that for me. I was starving after leg day yesterday. I shredded my posterior chain. I fed myself LOTS of protein to build it back up while I slept last night and had 85 calories of my exercise deficit left. I'll do chest day today and it's just not as hard a workout for me (I couldn't tell you why) so I'll probably eat less today than I did yesterday. You have to listen to what your body needs and do what your body needs.

Best of luck!

• rosey35
    Options
    Thanks for that Melissa