Blender help

Options
I need to buy a new blender soon while visiting the states. I will be bringing it in a suitcase back to Costa Rica with me and want suggestions. Everyone tells me vitamix, but I'm not sure I need something that extensive for what I use it for.

I generally use it to make my husband fruit protein smoothies. Also use it to blend soups and beans for recipes as I am a vegetarian.

Suggestions, please.

Replies

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Vitamix or blendtec. it's worth investing in a good blender that will last you YEARS, can actually blend smoothies fully without chunks, gives good consistency, is easy to clean, and most importantly is actually strong enough to handle whatever you want to make in it.

I went through 4 terrible crappy blenders in a couple years before i finally got a nice one. it's well worth it and the amount of money i spent i nothing compared to the numerous crappy blenders i had to replace.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    Ninja is a little cheaper. Vitamix is on sale at Costco (today last day). Still over $350.
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Vitamix.
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I got one on Amazon for less than $50 bucks and it works like a champ
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    i use the nutribullet rx... but i prefer my vitamix
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Nutribullet/ninja. I wouldn't get my money's worth from a vitamix.
  • bwhitty67
    bwhitty67 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Vitamix ❣. It does cost more but it makes smooth creamy shakes, blended soups are amazing (I make fresh tomato soup in the summer).... Well worth the money and I have heard you can buy refurbished ones that work just as well.
  • ganzelly
    ganzelly Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I got a ninja from Amazon that included a food processor, large blender container and 2 cups for shakes and I love it!
  • Puravidablonde
    Puravidablonde Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I am close to sucking it up and buying a vitamix but am on the fence between that and the ninja.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I'm satisfied with my ninja.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,008 Member
    Options
    Have you considered an immersion (stick) blender? Much easier just to blend your soups and beans in the pot, rather than ladling hot liquids into the blender container. Mine came with a tall plastic cup that I use to make smoothies.
  • tryett
    tryett Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Just bought a new Ninja. Was very pleased with the previous one. This one came with a pitcher, food processor, and three cups (one of them stainless steel). Got it on sale at Kohls, used $50 in coupons and Kohls cash to get the price even lower and earned another $20 in Kohls cash. Awesome deal.
  • Yivs_87
    Yivs_87 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Depends what you want - price or quality or something light you can easily carry without worrying about suitcase's weight.
    What I do know is that blenders with glass pitchers are much better, mode durable, and you don't have to worry too much about crushing ice.
    I'm personally a Philips user. I got mine for like... $60? Glass pitcher, with ICE-crushing option. But it's heavy.
  • rainbowbow
    edited August 2016
    Options
    The ninja is one of the ones i bought previously i had to replace. Let me tell you, it is a giant piece of crap when it comes to blending anything other than fruit.

Want nuts in your smoothie? You'll be choking down chunks
    Want veggies? You'll have a gritty mess.

Here's a good comparison video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeX0s8K9GSw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ko4DVwLQTB0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NweA-ybN_Y

I am not the only one whose had this issue, believe me. not to mention bot the vitamix and blendtec have very long warranties. The ninja? One year.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    The ninja is one of the ones i bought previously i had to replace. Let me tell you, it is a giant piece of crap when it comes to blending anything other than fruit.

Want nuts in your smoothie? You'll be choking down chunks
    Want veggies? You'll have a gritty mess.

Here's a good comparison video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeX0s8K9GSw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ko4DVwLQTB0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NweA-ybN_Y

I am not the only one whose had this issue, believe me. not to mention bot the vitamix and blendtec have very long warranties. The ninja? One year.

I've never had a problem with my Ninja because I don't have a full Ninja blender system, but I agree with this. I own a NutriNinja Pro and a Vitamix Professional Series 200. For everyday protein shakes blended with fruit or some greens, I go for my Ninja since you just put the smoothie cup on, blend, and go. When I make nut milk or fresh juice with multiple fruits and veggies, I pull out the Vitamix. If you want a blender that does a variety of things, then you're going to want to invest in something like a Vitamix.
  • Puravidablonde
    Options
    And now. The blendtec entires my blender competition. Was looking at those last night and they look super nice too, and possibly more powerful than a vitamix! Aaaaaaarrrggghhh
  • rainbowbow
    Options
    loridz wrote: »
    And now. The blendtec entires my blender competition. Was looking at those last night and they look super nice too, and possibly more powerful than a vitamix! Aaaaaaarrrggghhh

Having used both, i'd say they are almost the same. Power wise, ability wise, warranty wise, etc.
  • Puravidablonde
    Options

Having used both, i'd say they are almost the same. Power wise, ability wise, warranty wise, etc.

Which would you choose?
  • rainbowbow
    Options

Which would you choose?

either, honestly. I'd go to a local store that has them, look at them in person, and go for whichever is cheapest, you think looks the best, etc. I only got the blendtec because it was in stock. :lol:

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I just use a cheap immersion blender. I hate cleaning the inside of typical blenders, and with an immersion, it's just a stem and blade that goes down into whatever container you want to use. A lot of them come with a food processor attachment as well.