Is there a place where I can ask questions about supplements and get answers like here?

MelaniaTrump
MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
I found this site, because I have osteopenia (bone loss), and needed to track my calcium. But I have questions and I don't know where to ask.
Question: The body can only absorb 500 mg at a time (2 hours). On here the DRI is 1,000 mg or 100%. So if I eat 10% calcium in a meal, along with my multi that has 50% calcium, I will subtract 10% calcium on an entry. Is this ok?
I have an open diary. Also, today I ate a lot of spinach/kale power greens, and I think oxolates in spinach do not allow calcium absorption. It would be nice to ask in a place that really knows their vitamins.
Yea, I should buy multi's that have less calcium, but I have two bottles of 300 pills on sale at Sam's club.
My doctor said my minimum with my condition should be 1,200 with a max of 1,500.

I would love it if there were sites where people can talk about vitamins and supplements.
I tried yahoo answers but it was full of 12 year old's asking inappropriate questions about health.

Replies

• minniemoo1972
    minniemoo1972 Posts: 295 Member
    Your doctor should have given you a diet to follow or a prescription for calcium supplements suitable for your condition.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,179 Member
    @MelaniaTrump , it's not a website, but if you visit one or two of your local health food stores you may find employees who speak confidently of their product offerings. Is it scientific? No. Is it helpful? Maybe. That's about the best you're going to get.
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    I would also make sure you're getting enough Vitamin D and K2 along with the calcium. Magnesium I think is another cofactor.

My mom was taking calcium pills but I found her a product called Alive! Bone Formula that has all the extra goodies needed for proper absorption. It's important that the calcium gets to the bones and doesn't build up in the soft tissues.

• andrea_nichol
    andrea_nichol Posts: 47 Member
    Do you have access to a registered dietician? Some grocery stores have one on staff and they may be a better resource for answering your questions.