DETOX!

Options
Hi, I am in need of a major detox! Can someone help please?? Thanks!

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    If your kidneys and liver are not working, you need to head to the emergency room. If they are, you do not need a "detox ". Don't buy into the hooey.
  • July62008
    July62008 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    If your kidneys and liver are not working, you need to head to the emergency room. If they are, you do not need a "detox ". Don't buy into the hooey.

This is the first I've heard of detoxing being a bad thing. Even reading online I never came across anything stating it would not be beneficial. I will definitely check with my doctor. Thanks.
  • BodyzLanguage
    BodyzLanguage Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Wanna detox? Naturally? Water fast for 24 hours. Let the body work it's magic. PS daily fasting *Intermittent fasting eg. 16/8, meaning (16 hours fasted 8 hour easting window) is a handy tool for optimizing your digestion.
  • deanaferrari2
    deanaferrari2 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Regardless of the other two posters' responses, I understand the "need" for a good detox to help you feel refreshed and energized... it's kind of a physical and moral booster. I don't often have money for the "kits" so just go with some home strategies: Throughout day, drink mixture of 1:1 water+lemon (squeeze one full lemon into a glass and drink it down, then drink down a glass of water) -- I drink that about 6+ times a day (lots of lemon and if you're diabetic this may not be for you). Next will blend cucumber and watermelon and drink about 6 cups of that over the day. For munchies, eat celery, iceberg lettuce, and radishes. Towards the end of the 8 hours, drink a cup of cranberry juice and more water. In all, you'll have drunk (hopefully) about a gallon of water, 6 cups of lemon juice, 6 cups of watermelon/cucumber blend, and gotten LOTS of water-soluble fiber through your system. I tend to do this on a Saturday so that I have the Sunday to recover before going to work. On the Sunday, I have oatmeal, air-popped popcorn, hard-boiled eggs, and baked chicken (seasoned only with oregano), with a small salad at each meal. It's homemade and may not be for everyone but I like the way it works on my skin and balances my digestive system. Since you're young yet, you have time to develop your own "recipes" if you wish :) Good luck! (By the way, I only do this about 1-2 times a year.)
  • July62008
    July62008 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Regardless of the other two posters' responses, I understand the "need" for a good detox to help you feel refreshed and energized... it's kind of a physical and moral booster. I don't often have money for the "kits" so just go with some home strategies: Throughout day, drink mixture of 1:1 water+lemon (squeeze one full lemon into a glass and drink it down, then drink down a glass of water) -- I drink that about 6+ times a day (lots of lemon and if you're diabetic this may not be for you). Next will blend cucumber and watermelon and drink about 6 cups of that over the day. For munchies, eat celery, iceberg lettuce, and radishes. Towards the end of the 8 hours, drink a cup of cranberry juice and more water. In all, you'll have drunk (hopefully) about a gallon of water, 6 cups of lemon juice, 6 cups of watermelon/cucumber blend, and gotten LOTS of water-soluble fiber through your system. I tend to do this on a Saturday so that I have the Sunday to recover before going to work. On the Sunday, I have oatmeal, air-popped popcorn, hard-boiled eggs, and baked chicken (seasoned only with oregano), with a small salad at each meal. It's homemade and may not be for everyone but I like the way it works on my skin and balances my digestive system. Since you're young yet, you have time to develop your own "recipes" if you wish :) Good luck! (By the way, I only do this about 1-2 times a year.)

Thank you ☺
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    How to choose a cleanse or detox that's right for you!

Step One: Identify the results you wish you achieve. There are many different cleanses and detoxes out there today and they target different things. In order to choose the recipe that's right for you, you need to know what you're trying to achieve. For instance, if you suffer from heavy metal poisoning, then you may need to consult a doctor. If your liver or kidneys are no longer working at peak performance, then you may need to consult a doctor. If you want to rid your body of toxic build-up from pesticides, then you may want to consult a doctor.

Step Two: Research your condition to find out the best treatment for it. This may require a trip to the doctor so that you can have bloodwork done to identify what ails you. If you're pretty sure that you know your body better than medical professionals, then head on over to Google and Pinterest and start that search!

Step Three: No really, read through the resources on this site about detoxing/cleansing. Especially this link to get you started: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1159755/looking-for-a-detox-cleanse/p1
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    How to choose a cleanse or detox that's right for you!

Step One: Identify the results you wish you achieve. There are many different cleanses and detoxes out there today and they target different things. In order to choose the recipe that's right for you, you need to know what you're trying to achieve. For instance, if you suffer from heavy metal poisoning, then you may need to consult a doctor. If your liver or kidneys are no longer working at peak performance, then you may need to consult a doctor. If you want to rid your body of toxic build-up from pesticides, then you may want to consult a doctor.

Step Two: Research your condition to find out the best treatment for it. This may require a trip to the doctor so that you can have bloodwork done to identify what ails you. If you're pretty sure that you know your body better than medical professionals, then head on over to Google and Pinterest and start that search!

Step Three: No really, read through the resources on this site about detoxing/cleansing. Especially this link to get you started: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1159755/looking-for-a-detox-cleanse/p1

Couldn't have said it better!

OP, the terms detox and cleanse are commonly used by people who want to separate you from your money. While most of the products are unlikely to cause you any harm it's a virtual certainty that you won't benefit in any tangible way either.

Eat a well balanced diet including lots of fresh fruits and vegetables, lean meats etc., get lots of sleep and be physically active (ride your bike, go for walks, go for a swim..) and you'll feel much better without resorting to fads.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    Why do people love diarrhea so much? A guy at work (from China, so I think it may be a cultural thing?) comes to use the hot water out of our dispenser for lemon water. He says it's "like a detergent for your insides....BUT NEVER DO IT MORE THAN ONCE A WEEK." Even though he buys into it for whatever reason, he still knows its bad news.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    Totally unnecessary
    Extremely unproductive
    Potentially unsafe

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Drugs? Or alcohol? I suggest starting with your doctor to make sure you are getting the medical support you need for the withdrawal symptoms, they are brutal and can be life threatening. Best wishes. Stay safe.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

But... why? Isn't this just going to act as a natural diuretic? By all means, eat plenty of fiber and stay hydrated. But all that lemon juice is just eating the enamel off your teeth.

OP, you don't have to torture yourself for a weekend, just start eating better! Lean protein, plenty of produce, whole grains, stay hydrated, move more, and make sure you keep your psychological health by continuing to eat the foods you love in appropriate portions. Seriously, your body will do what it needs to do! And definitely read the link @diannethegeek posted. :drinker:
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    July62008 wrote: »
    Hi, I am in need of a major detox!

From what? How do you know you are in need of one?

Often, this means someone is constipated or wants to drop water weight quickly -- being clear about your goals will help get appropriate advice. To me (as with nutmegoreo) detox suggests drugs/alcohol and the related withdrawal, but since this is MFP, I'm assuming it more the kind of thing popularized by Gwyneth Paltrow or maybe Beyonce (although I think her thing was a "cleanse," not a detox) or Jillian Michaels or all kinds of scammy marketing campaigns involving juice or tea and sometimes some weird additives that either are supposed to give the digestive system a break (not the same thing as detoxing, and not a real thing) or, most commonly, are diuretics or laxatives (not really a great idea and, again, nothing to do with actual detoxing).

The dieting world could teach George Orwell a thing or two, that's for sure!
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    OP, there is absolutely no scientific studies to support detoxes, at all. Why? Because they don't work. Our liver and kidneys (and digestive system) do a great job on their own. If you're feeling crappy, just increase your fiber, fat and water and so exercise. If you're looking to reboot, don't. We aren't computers. We cannot be restarted.

My GP often says detoxes are bunk, and I agree with him.

Detoxes are generally either diuretics (that can cause dehydration if you're not careful) or laxatives. Peeing and pooping more does not equal detox....

If you've read about the digestive system needing a break or a boost, It's all false. Our digestive systems run 24/7 and cannot be restarted, rebooted or need a break. If our metabolism stops, it generally means you're....dead.
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    Drugs? Or alcohol? I suggest starting with your doctor to make sure you are getting the medical support you need for the withdrawal symptoms, they are brutal and can be life threatening. Best wishes. Stay safe.

This.

Also...anyone who is still interested in detoxes..what toxins are you detoxing from. I'd really love to finally have an answer to this question.