Boredom eating

Options
Hi guys!
At the minute I'm struggling with boredom eating!
My mind is telling me I need to have something to eat.. I just can't say no!
And using its cause I'm bored
The only idea I have is to drink either water or juice to keep me occupied

Has anyone got any tips for this?

Thanks
Sam xx

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Why can't you say no?
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    - Find something else to cure the boredom.

- Practice self discipline.
  • Zombella
    Zombella Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I completely understand what you are saying. I say either find something to do, or pop a piece of gum in your mouth. I know that for myself, I have certain associations that I have to stop. For example, being on the computer makes me want to eat something to enjoy my time on the computer. Do I need to eat on the computer? No. I am usually not hungry but just have the want to because I've done this for such a long time.
  • YvetteK2015
    YvetteK2015 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I tend to have this problem also. I don't have any junk food in my house, but there are still things that would be bad, IMO to eat when i'm bored. So for instance, I'll go for fruit and veggies, sometimes with some hummus. Those are low in calories rather than eating something in the bread family. Not that bread is "bad", but it's higher in calories, and it seems once I start to eat bread, the more hungry I feel. For me that is a vicious cycle.
    Sometimes I feel like I'm eating veggies all morning, so my hunger really isn't under control, but I'm eating vegetables, so there isn't all that guilt there.
  • MorganMoreaux
    MorganMoreaux Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Exercise if you're bored. Doesn't have t be anything major, but if you have the extra time and nothing to do than exercise is a good alternative. Doesn't have to be anything major - go for a walk or do routines around your house. It will also buy you extra calories for later.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Boredom will only last as long as you stay bored. Get up and do something else and when you sit back down, if you get it again, do something else, rinse and repeat until snack time or meal time.
  • sambam4493
    sambam4493 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas!
    I think I just need a hobby.. something to keep my hands busy whilst I'm relaxing!
    I've started to do exercises that my PT been working on with me to improve them when I'm not up to much which keeps me busy.. also I found playing on my phone or tablet keeps me busy too for so long !
    I will defiantly practice self discipline!

Thanks again
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,989 Member
    Options
    My mother cured me of boredom when I was quite young.

I'd go to her complaining that I was bored ... and she'd tell me that I'd better find something to amuse myself or she'd find something for me to do. I learned very quickly that meant cleaning my room or doing the dishes or some other sort or housework. :grin:

Take a night class
    Get a part time job and put the money away for a sunny, warm holiday in winter
    Take up a sport ... or try several sports
    Learn to play the piano, or paint, or knit
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    I get busy. If my hands and mind are busy, I'm not eating. All of @Machka9 's suggestions are great. My mom was the same way! I never get bored now.

Is hard to eat if you're knitting or drawing or painting or cleaning or gardening or walking as well.
  • celumie
    celumie Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Maybe buys some gum or lolipops just to keep yourself occupied? And stop yourself from grabbing the big calorie foods
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,989 Member
    Options
    Here's an idea ... we went to a concert/event this weekend featuring the local organisation and especially a group from Japan. It's impressive! We love the concerts!

But they've got some beginners workshops coming up, and I might be interested if I weren't already scheduled for a cycling event which I've been training like mad for ... and if I weren't rhythm challenged.

http://www.taikodrum.com/
    http://www.taikodrum.com/training

Have a look at what's available in your local area ... maybe you've got a Japanese drumming club in your area. :grin:

Another one I've got on my list of Things To Do if I ever get a few spare weekends in a row is Archery. The local club offers 4 beginners sessions the first 4 Saturdays of every month, so quite regularly.

Or browse your local Eventbrite to find out what's on ... https://www.eventbrite.com