C25k too much too fast

Options

Replies

• lizzieloo934
    lizzieloo934 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    How overweight are you? I was 90lbs over a healthy BMI when I started. I've lost 15lbs in the process. I can now run for 30minutes!! Don't let your weight stop you, but DO listen to your body!

For your shin pain a few things to consider:
    1) Make sure you are doing a proper warm up before running.
    2) Since you are having shin issues stretch it after your warm up but before your workout.
    3) After you cool down make sure you stretch all your muscles and extra for your shins. If I am having a problem I will hold a stretch for 30-60 seconds
    4) Try elevating and icing your shins if it's really bad

Make sure you are running slowly. You should be able to have a conversation with someone - if you can't you are running too fast.

Each week shorten your walking period by 30 seconds. So this week walk 2.5 minutes and then run 1. Repeat it 6 times. Then the next week you walk 2 minutes and then run 1, repeat 7 times. etc until you can run 1 walk 1 and repeat it 7-8 times.

Then each week add a minute to your run time. walk 1, run 2, then walk 1 run 3 etc. If that seems too hard then just increase 30 seconds of running each week.

You can do this, just listen to your body. If you ignore any pain you are having you could develop an injury!

• berolcolour
    berolcolour Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to say yay running!

You are already doing a half hour workout so you could just shift slightly more running and less walking. Like adding 15s to the first run and knocking 15s of walking off the last walk. When that seems ok, shift the second run and second to last walk and so on. I like to play around with intervals so this is what I do when I'm not following a program.
  • Philtex
    Philtex Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    Agree with repeating weeks or even days as needed. You already said you don't care how long it takes so take your time with C25K. This concept helped me when I did C25K: If you can run any slower you are running too fast.
  • KiwiAlexP
    KiwiAlexP Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    This might not be effective for you but re the shin pain - my physio recommended running on the balls of my feet I.e. not putting my heel down and once I got used to it no more shin pain

And don't be afraid to repeat days/weeks until your comfortable
  • Wildflowers70
    Wildflowers70 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I agree with KiwiAlex. This technique helped me beat shin splints. Here are a couple articles I read that helped me.
    http://www.runnersworld.com/run-faster/proper-running-form
    http://www.runnersworld.com/social-studies/11-tips-for-new-runners
    Hang in there! You can do it!
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    I did C25K and the two pieces of advice that really helped me get through it were, 1) start slow, slower than slow - if you are walking at 3.5 mph, that's the speed to start running at - it can take a lot to condition your body to running. 2) Even if you really want run, some days it just won't happen :)

Take your time, it will happen but most importantly you want it happen injury free!
  • gorple76
    gorple76 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I didn't use a plan or app when I started. I did what you're doing now and just increased the running (shuffling) and decreased the walking but 15 seconds each week (running three times a week). I knew that if it hurt, I wouldn't want to go out again, so took it as gently as I could. As I got stronger, I didn't mind it hurting so much and pushed myself a bit more. That was 18 months ago, and yesterday I ran my first 18 miler in preparation for a marathon in a few weeks. The key, I think, is to make it gentle enough that you don't put yourself off going out, and to make sure you go out regularly (no excuses - rain or shine). and remember, every time you go out, even if you don't have a 'good' run, it makes you stronger and fitter.n It all counts, whatever the speed.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    When I started out I couldn't run at all, instead I used the C25K replacing the running sections with fast walking (on the treadmill as it was Winter). Once I was walking faster the whole 25 minutes then I started again but with very slow jogging that was probably on 1km/hr faster than my fast walk. I can jog the whole time now, but tbh I find running/jogging for extended times boring and prefer intervals. The subscription version of Zombies Run is great for that, not only does it give you a storyline while you walk/jog but you can set it to chases and there's even an interval option which you can set to your exact needs.
  • ziggy2006
    ziggy2006 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    1. Investigate whether or not your running shoes might be the problem. Did you go to a store that specializes in running? If so, go back with your shoes, explain the issue, and see if they have any suggestions. Did you go to a general sports store (like Dick's, Foot Locker, or Sport's Authority)? Bring your shoes with you to a store that specializes in running and have them analyze your gait and make recommendations.

2. On what type of surface are you running? If you are running on asphalt or concrete, that could be the issue. See if you can find a track made of a softer surface, investigate trail running (with appropriate shoes), or try using a treadmill for your running workouts. A softer surface might help with the soreness you are experiencing.

3. Add some resistance training to strengthen all of your leg muscles. If you have muscle weakness, then other muscles will compensate while you are running, which can result in soreness.

4. Patience, grasshopper. Doing too much too soon and ignoring painful symptoms will result in injury and ultimately bring your progress to a painful halt while you recover. Your shin pain in a sign that something is wrong. Adjust your workouts so that your pain is minimal or eliminated. Continue working your calorie deficit and building your fitness level. It is possible that running might be too much for your individual situation right now, but it is still an excellent goal that you can achieve. You may find that you have less pain as your BMI lowers.
  • ouryve
    ouryve Posts: 572 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    It's worth investigating whether or not you have issues with hypermobility, as that can often make it necessary to avoid high impact exercise. Do make sure your trainers are correctly supporting your feet. Maybe as an alternative, consider power walking. My hips won't let me do it anymore, but it's as good a cardio workout as jogging.
  • ICameToGetDown
    ICameToGetDown Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    My two cents:
    - awesome that you are trying!
    - get fit for sneakers at a real running store
    - be sure you can walk at a nice clip for over 60 min (sounds like you have this one down)
    - walk/jog at a track if you can. It is such a big difference to your knees / hips
    - start 15/30 seconds jog, 1 min walk and go up from there. Do the 15/30 seconds for 10 sessions if you have to - - there are no rules of how fast you build up your endurance
    - stretch / warm up before
    - stretch after
    - stretch again after

Good Luck!
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Amazon has "Personal Running Trainer" 4 weeks to a mile. Might be the softer start you need to be going. Otherwise stay on week 1 day 1 until you are comfortable in moving on. We all progress at our own rate. This isn't the race. I restarted running about two years ago walking. Got to a three mile walk. Then one day just got the urge to break into a jog. Jogged a half mile, walked a half mile for the three mile course. Didn't know this was a program. Got the ...to a mile program. Did it. Got the 8 weeks to 5K. Did it in about 10. Now training for a Half Marathon in September and have my long runs up to 10 miles.

It takes time and a steady commitment. But, it is doable and I have enjoyed, and am enjoying, the journey.
  • ridiculous59
    ridiculous59 Posts: 2,834 Member
    Options
    You've had a lot of great advice from people but I thought I'd throw in my two cents :) I used to be a runner too. Not an intense marathoner or anything, but I could comfortably do 10 kms. But after my third baby I never got my weight off . And then just added some more for good measure. When my kids all left home I realized it was time for ME and I was going to get healthy. I figured once a runner, always a runner. Right????? Wrong!! Shins and hips screamed otherwise. It didn't matter if it was on a treadmill or on pavement. I couldn't do it :( So that was my goal....to be able to run again. I started out walking. Then spent the winter going to "deep water running" classes at the pool. As I lost weight I was able to more things. I bought x-country skiis and started doing that again. And snowshoes too. The common thread here is that they are all low impact so I never had pain. Yes, my muscles would know they'd been working, but never the hip and shin pain that I had experienced when I tried to run.

Fast forward 2.5 years and I've now lost 80 pounds (and would like to lose 5-7 more). I just started C25k two weeks ago and guess what....I'm not experiencing ANY pain! There's a 5 km run in town in October and that is my goal.

So for me, WANTING to run didn't mean that I was able to run. I had to lose some weight first. But WANTING to run was my incentive to keep losing. Maybe c25k isn't right for you at this point in your weight loss journey. Maybe other low impact activities would be better for you. But if you need to run, which is how I felt, you'll get there :)
  • JamestheLiar
    JamestheLiar Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    It has been my experience that running and obesity and injury go hand in hand. How will an obese person (like myself) know if their warm-up routine is insufficient? Injury. How will an obese person know if they've overdone it with speed or distance? Injury. How will an obese person know if their shoes are worn out? Injury.

In my opinion, the best advice you've seen on this thread (besides waiting to run until you've seen significant weight loss) is to go slow. Slower than you think is necessary. The problem with an obese person running is that a huge part of it is in your head. Determination - the inward decision to NOT STOP. And as an obese person, your sense of determination may be way way way more ready to run than the rest of you're body.

I used to watch TV shows like the Biggest Loser and think that I should be driving my body to sprint up mountains. Don't be fooled by that (like I was). The fact is, you will not believe how easy it is for an obese runner to injure themselves. It's physics, and you absolutely cannot escape it.

With that in mind, it's possible that the answer to your question is that C25K is not the problem, but rather that you are not going slow enough. Don't let your determination drive you to injury, because it will if you let it. Go slow. Don't neglect the warm-up. Repeat the weeks until you have the confidence to make the next jump.

• JamestheLiar
    JamestheLiar Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    You've had a lot of great advice from people but I thought I'd throw in my two cents :) I used to be a runner too. Not an intense marathoner or anything, but I could comfortably do 10 kms. But after my third baby I never got my weight off . And then just added some more for good measure. When my kids all left home I realized it was time for ME and I was going to get healthy. I figured once a runner, always a runner. Right????? Wrong!! Shins and hips screamed otherwise. It didn't matter if it was on a treadmill or on pavement. I couldn't do it :( So that was my goal....to be able to run again. I started out walking. Then spent the winter going to "deep water running" classes at the pool. As I lost weight I was able to more things. I bought x-country skiis and started doing that again. And snowshoes too. The common thread here is that they are all low impact so I never had pain. Yes, my muscles would know they'd been working, but never the hip and shin pain that I had experienced when I tried to run.

Fast forward 2.5 years and I've now lost 80 pounds (and would like to lose 5-7 more). I just started C25k two weeks ago and guess what....I'm not experiencing ANY pain! There's a 5 km run in town in October and that is my goal.

So for me, WANTING to run didn't mean that I was able to run. I had to lose some weight first. But WANTING to run was my incentive to keep losing. Maybe c25k isn't right for you at this point in your weight loss journey. Maybe other low impact activities would be better for you. But if you need to run, which is how I felt, you'll get there :)

I wish I had seen this comment before I posted mine ... I could have saved a lot of typing. I agree with every word.
  • goofylady5692
    goofylady5692 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    fireytiger wrote: »
    Hi all, I'm trying to get into running, and everyone and their cousin recommends Couch to 5k to get started. But I'm obese category II, and I have a lot of issues with my tibialis anterior muscles getting strained if I do too much too fast. C25k is, for me, too much too fast. Right now I can just manage running 1 minute and then walking 3 mins, repeating 6 times. That last minute of running feels pretty brutal. But the first week of C25k wants me to run 1 minute and walk only 1.5 mins, repeating 8 times, and doing this 3 times a week. What's a fat girl to do? I know the shin pain issue isn't due to poor form, nor is it due to bad shoes (just got fitted for the best pair of running shoes i've ever owned), but simply because my muscles are weak as all get out. Are there any suggestions for maybe working up to each week of this program? Or maybe a better program for someone like me? I don't care how long it takes me to be able to run a mile (or eventually a 5k) but I want to do it right and not hurt myself. Thanks!

• goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Personally I'd stop running altogether until that shin pain is completely gone.
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    Amazon music has a couch to I mile from Personal Running Trainer, 4 weeks to 1 mile. There is no rule that says you have to do it in 4 weeks, you can take each workout and do it 3 times, that will make it 12 weeks to 1 mile.

That's what I'd do. Slow increase is much safer, and once you can do a mile continuous then the couch to 5k may work, or you can use the same method and do each workout 3 times.
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I had shin problems when I started doing c25k on concrete, and switched to mostly turf with a little concrete and asphalt thrown in. That fixed the problem (plus, good shoes). Turf will definitley make you work harder, but is gentle on your bones. The more I ran, the more I could run on asphalt without having a shin issue.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i might suggest that you do intervals with the c25k but instead of running, do speed walking.

make sure you take your breaks. you should take at least a day between the walks/speed walking. take more than one if you need it and only 3x per week

do active stretches to start and cool down after with stretches/yoga

congratulations on starting to be a healthier person