Strength training routine with machines?

Options
I'm obese and have been successfully eating at a calorie deficit for the past 60 days. My weight loss is slow but steady, and I'm fine with my rate of loss since I struggle with binge eating. I'm in this for the long haul, so I don't mind if it takes a year or two.

In addition to my occasional swimming, treadmill, and elliptical workouts, I'd like to begin regular strength training to ensure that I don't lose muscle mass with weight loss (at least, that's my understanding of the science: http://www.wbur.org/commonhealth/2016/07/29/biggest-loser-weight-regain).

My gym does have free weights, which it seems is what many people recommend for strength training. But that area of the gym is mostly super fit men telling each other how to workout, and I'm not eager to step into that zone as a woman at nearly 300 lbs. I have worked out with free weights and machines over the years, and I've been instructed in and feel comfortable with proper technique. However, in my particular situation, I'm currently more comfortable with the machines to start out this regular practice.

Can anyone show me what a strength training routine should look like with machines? I'm aiming for 20 minutes twice weekly, and my gym has a pretty good selection of equipment. Should I make one day for arms and another for legs? How many reps/sets per exercise? Any particular machines that are especially helpful (or unhelpful) in your experience? How quickly should I increase the resistance (is there a percentage formula or something)?

I appreciate your feedback! :)

Replies

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Is there any way you can do body weight movements?
  • sst036
    sst036 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    There is no reason why you can't just work out with the machines and cables until you're comfortable going into the free weight area. Find a program that you like doing (check out body building.com) and then do all of the movements on the machines that would target the same muscles, and go from there. I like to do Lee Labrada's workout, which is three sets of twelve for each exercise, with a back/biceps day, a chest/shoulders/triceps day, and a leg/abs day. Try to complete say three sets at the same weight, then next time do a set at that weight and then go up one graduation for the next two. Then the next time do three at that weight, and so on.

Or do what I do, and put my resting *kitten* face to good work ;)
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    It's not that easy to answer your question without knowing what machines you have at your gym. But I can tell you that a lot people like to split their weekly strength work into something like Push/Pull/Legs.

Push moves (think peck deck, shoulder press)
    Pull moves (think lat pull down, seated rows)
    Legs (leg press, seated extensions and curls)

The best advice I can give on machines is to get one of the gym staff to give you an overview and perhaps help to work out a 3 or 4 day routine.

But, I wanted to comment on the other stuff you wrote:

You're spot on that strength training is a good idea to preserve muscle mass. And, as @rainbowbow points out, that strength work does not have to be weights or machines based.

I hear what you are saying about being comfortable with the machines but remember, as a member of that gym you have as much right as anyone to use those free weights and despite that area being used by super-fit men I'd be surprised (and very disappointed) if you weren't met with courtesy and a certain amount of admiration for "stepping up to the plate" and lifting with the guys. you may even find that they give you some good advice.

That said, if machines are your thing (and there isn't anything wrong with that), then make sure you get some specific core work added into your routine, since machine only routines are often light on the multiple stabilizer muscles that are engaged when using free weights.
  • whisker1984
    whisker1984 Posts: 26 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »

Can you tell me more about what you mean? Are there any websites on the topic that you find helpful? There's TOO much info out there on this kind of thing, and I struggle to sort the good advice from the bad!
  • whisker1984
    whisker1984 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    It's not that easy to answer your question without knowing what machines you have at your gym. But I can tell you that a lot people like to split their weekly strength work into something like Push/Pull/Legs.

Push moves (think peck deck, shoulder press)
    Pull moves (think lat pull down, seated rows)
    Legs (leg press, seated extensions and curls)

The best advice I can give on machines is to get one of the gym staff to give you an overview and perhaps help to work out a 3 or 4 day routine.

But, I wanted to comment on the other stuff you wrote:

You're spot on that strength training is a good idea to preserve muscle mass. And, as @rainbowbow points out, that strength work does not have to be weights or machines based.

I hear what you are saying about being comfortable with the machines but remember, as a member of that gym you have as much right as anyone to use those free weights and despite that area being used by super-fit men I'd be surprised (and very disappointed) if you weren't met with courtesy and a certain amount of admiration for "stepping up to the plate" and lifting with the guys. you may even find that they give you some good advice.

That said, if machines are your thing (and there isn't anything wrong with that), then make sure you get some specific core work added into your routine, since machine only routines are often light on the multiple stabilizer muscles that are engaged when using free weights.

Very helpful post, thank you! :smiley: Are you familiar with any specific core routines or exercises that you'd recommend?

It's definitely not that I don't feel entitled to use the free weight area. I have every right to be there, and I wish more women would venture it! But I'm just at a stage where I'm really, really not interested in unsolicited feedback. I get it near-daily on my diet (today was "I know someone who lost 100 pounds by ONLY eating turkey burgers!"). In a few months, I'll be more mentally prepared to accept their input.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    These core exercises look good:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/content/beginner-core-training-guide.html

for non-weights use I'd probably make a program based on:
    • Russian Twist
    • Ab Crunch Machine
    • Oblique Crunches
    • Crunch - Legs On Exercise Ball

Aiming for 3 sets of each around the 12- 15 rep range. This hits Abs, Obliques, and Intercostals.

You could, for example tag core onto one of your other training days or, if you train 4 days a week, add one of the exercises above to the end of each day's work out.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Bodyweight is any move that just uses your body really: push ups, planks, lunges, squats, pull ups, chin ups, leg lifts, step ups...the list is endless really. The heavier you are, the more effective they can be really since it's your own body weight that provides the resistance.

These are moves you can do anywhere with no equipment. Find they're good for keeping warmed up while waiting for machines too ;)

As others have said, don't be afraid of the free weights. Most people concentrate on their own workouts so you won't get much judgement. They were all beginners once too. And in my experience, lifters tend to be very helpful when asked for assistance in learning the ropes.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »

Can you tell me more about what you mean? Are there any websites on the topic that you find helpful? There's TOO much info out there on this kind of thing, and I struggle to sort the good advice from the bad!

This just means any movement which can be done without a machine or weight. It's also resistance training (which is what helps with muscle retention).

I personally find that when i train beginners they benefit the most from bodyweight movements because many lack good balance, coordination, core strength, and power. I think it's great to improve upon these (along with the many potential postural imbalances that are common in beginners) before really moving on to free-weights. Unfortunately, because machines only work through one plane of motion and one guided track of motion, they do not help with these issues too much.

If i were you and i was just starting out i would take the time to fix these things now, increase overall function, learn proper form of key movements, and THEN move on to things like machines, cables, or free-weights.

There are many excellent programs out there for this but you'll probably want one that includes:

Some sort of Speed Agility and Quickness training
    Some sort of Balance training
    Some sort of Core Stability Training
    Resistance Training (like body weight movements)
    Some sort of Cardio training like LISS, interval training, etc.
    Stretching and Foam Rolling
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Lyle McDonald's machine-based routine for beginners is here:

* Lyle McDonald's barbell and machine routines - http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/beginning-weight-training-part-4.html/