How much have you lost in 6 weeks?

Options
Just wondered how many lbs people have managed to lose in 6 weeks....off to a wedding in September and would love to lose 14lbs...my friend is aiming for 42lbs. ...is that possible??

Replies

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I have lost about 8 pounds in the past 6 weeks. 14 is possible if you are obese or just starting (water weight), if not then it's not possible without extreme and unhealthy measures. 42 is definitely impossible unless your friend has crossed the 450 pound mark.
  • Nads36
    Nads36 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I weight 335 lbs and am 5'6...I think if I increase my excercise I can shift a stone. My friend is slightly heavier than me around 340lbs. We shall see how she gets on as she is adamant she will do it!
  • nickisa28
    nickisa28 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I've lost 11lbs in 6 weeks. 3lbs in week one, then a steady 1-2lbs(ish) per week after that but I've plateaued this last week :( so frustrating when I'm only 3lbs off my goal!!! I've done it with 3 workouts per week, 1200cals a day, low carb, high fat and protien meals. Only one small sweet treat per day-find that one the hardest! I think 14lbs is do-able for you, good luck :) Wow 42lbs in 6 weeks?? Good luck to her
  • DJMayes2016
    DJMayes2016 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I've managed near enough a stone since the end of June starting at 198lbs on around 1700 calories a day and exercising each day as a 5'9" male. Not necessarily advisable weight loss rate but this was particularly fast at the beginning and has settled down to a rate of around 2 lbs a week now.
  • oolou
    oolou Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    In the last six weeks I've lost 8 pounds.

How much you will lose will depend on what your current weight is and the calorie deficit you can safely achieve. If you share more information about yourself (height weight age), people will be able to give you a better estimate of what you can safely achieve in 6 weeks, rather than comparing yourselves to others.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    Approximately 4 to 6 pounds I think.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I've lost 12.8 lb since June15. That includes a 3-day vacation of big extravagant restaurant meals.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Between 5-6lbs for me. But I'm near my goal so I'm not losing that quickly. I've actually lost more than I planned due to some very busy days.
    5'5" and 139lbs currently.
  • caradack1985
    caradack1985 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I've lost 13lbs in the last four weeks, so 14lbs is definitely doable, depending on how much weight you have to lose. I've gone from 239 to 226, if I was going from 150 to 136 I would expect it to take a lot longer than 6 weeks.
  • cecsav1
    cecsav1 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    About ten pounds. Of course, my weight fluctuates, so tomorrow I might answer nine, or even eleven. 42 is NOT realistic or healthy. 14 may be possible, if you're just starting out and/or have a lot to lose.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I've lost 7.4lb in the last 6 weeks, at one point I was losing a steady 2.5lb a week, but it slowed as I got down to 200lb and purposely ramped up the weights while reining in the cardio. I've got loads of saggy skin at the top of my arms thanks to how quickly I was losing, so while I could lose another 15lb in 6 weeks, I'd prefer to lose half that or even less.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Nads36 wrote: »
    I weight 335 lbs and am 5'6...I think if I increase my excercise I can shift a stone. My friend is slightly heavier than me around 340lbs. We shall see how she gets on as she is adamant she will do it!

At your weight, sure, you could easily lose 14 pounds in 6 weeks just by plugging your stats into MFP, setting a weekly weight loss goal of two pounds per week, and adding some walking but not eating the exercise calories you earn from that.

Keep that up and you will slowly, steadily, safely, and sustainably lose weight. Once you ramp up exercise you should start eating at least 50% of exercise calories back.

Sounds like your friend is watching too much Biggest Loser. Sure, she might be able to lose 7 pounds per week, but people who lose weight rapidly often put it back on and then some or suffer health consequences.

What Are the Risks of Rapid Weight Loss?
  • wrharvill
    wrharvill Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I've lost 9 pounds in the last 6 weeks. I'm 5'3" 138 pounds with 8 pounds to go to undershoot my goal (as of now). I don't exercise much at all and stick to just under 1200 calories daily.
  • 76thrasher
    76thrasher Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I just started6 weeks ago. I'm down 16 lbs from 243 by sticking to a 1200 calorie limit and walking. Good luck!
  • daniip_la
    daniip_la Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    When I started losing weight a few years ago, at 368lbs, I dropped 30lbs in less than two months (July - September). It was from massive water weight loss, overtraining, and under eating.

At her weight, it might be possible, but not healthy.
  • fwitsend1277
    fwitsend1277 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I've lost 12.5lbs....your goal could be realistic for starting out. 42lbs is just plain crazy!
  • LisaKay91
    LisaKay91 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I lost 26-30lbs by 6 weeks but I had over 170 pounds to lose. Even 20+lbs in 6 weeks is a bit much as a goal. My actual goal was to lose 25lbs in 13 weeks or 3 months.
  • cariduttry
    cariduttry Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    7 pounds in 6 weeks. i do a lot of lifting at the gym, so i'm trying to gain muscle while losing fat.
  • kermax39
    kermax39 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    My first 6 weeks I lost 16lbs, 8 of which I lost in the 1st week.......but now im losing on average 6-7lbs because things have slowed as they do.