Meal Replacement Shakes

Options
Hey guys, I am wanting to try meal replacement shakes for breakfast and maybe dinner on days I teach evening classes. I am debating between Ideal Shape Shakes or the GNC Lean Shake 25. Has anyone had experience with either one?

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    If you *need* to do something like that, so be it, but I would suggest that it does not really help you learn how to eat for a lifetime.... And losing then MAINTAINING your weight is your goal, right?
  • Sloth2016
    Sloth2016 Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Welcome Kayla!

I take some of my snacks as whey protein shakes to help me meet my daily protein requirements. Here are some things to keep in mind about shakes as "meals":

1. They are just food, not magical weight loss products - There is nothing magic to shakes - you can lose weight with them or without them just as easily.
    2. They have calories and count toward your calorie goals and macro nutrient (protein, fat, carbohydrate) intake - In other words Pulverizing food and drinking it will not make the calories go away!
    3. Some people find solid food to be more satiating than shakes - You have to try this out for yourself and see what works for you. Also, satiety various by what's in the shake - I find whey protein shakes to be very satisfying, but soy protein not so much. Again YMMV - you just have to try a bunch of things and see what you like.
    4. Costs vary widely - A Cosco bag of whey protein is much less expensive than say an MLM marketed shake (e.g., shakeology, plexus, etc.) and could very well be superior in ingredient quality! So, often times you don't get what you pay for - buyer be ware.
    5. If shakes/smoothies/etc. work for you, consider investing in a good quality blender - Pre-mixed products are quite a bit more expensive than making up something at home. You pay for your conveniences!

I hope this is helpful to you. Best of luck with your health goals! :)
  • kayla1991
    kayla1991 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thank you Sloth2016. I used to do smoothies but I didn't find them filling. I knew to account for calories and I was just wanting something quick and easy to take on the go!
  • Sloth2016
    Sloth2016 Posts: 846 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Gotcha.

They stock Premier Protein in the 'fridge at my firm: (http://shop.premierprotein.com/Premier-Protein-Chocolate-Shake/p/PREM-714002&c=PremierProtein@Shakes). Chocolate is better tasting than the vanilla. Decent macro breakdown (160 cals., 30g. protein). I've seen them at Cosco, so if you are a member there you might be able to obtain them reasonably at a good price.

I've tried the GNC lean 25 - comparable taste and macro breakdown ( Serving ((170 calories, 25 grams protein) ) Likely a little more pricey, because GNC. ;)

Really comes down to what flavor do you like and your price range. :)

ETA: Not affiliated with either product.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Walmart and Target - they sell protein shakes that don't cost $5 each.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Overnight oats are pretty danged easy in the morning and make a Sammie with PB & J for the evening. Boom
  • kyleldrake
    kyleldrake Posts: 3 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I use the GNC Lean Shakes. They work fine for me. It's hard to eat 5-6 meals a day sometimes, so when that 2.5-3 hours pass, it's nice to keep your macro nutrients in check with a shake or two a day. 3 food meals, two shakes and a protein bar balanced across the day seem to give me optimum results for weight loss and body transformation. I'm sure it differs for everyone, but for me, it's great. This is exactly how you train your body to change to healthier eating habits, and MRP's are a helpful alternative.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    kyleldrake wrote: »
    I use the GNC Lean Shakes. They work fine for me. It's hard to eat 5-6 meals a day sometimes, so when that 2.5-3 hours pass, it's nice to keep your macro nutrients in check with a shake or two a day. 3 food meals, two shakes and a protein bar balanced across the day seem to give me optimum results for weight loss and body transformation. I'm sure it differs for everyone, but for me, it's great. This is exactly how you train your body to change to healthier eating habits, and MRP's are a helpful alternative.

Shakes? No. That's not how you "train your body to change to healthier eating habits". No.
    EATING a healthy well balanced diet is how you learn to eat right.

ETA: two shakes and a protein bar AND 3 "food" meals? What's your calorie allotment??!!?
  • svel713
    svel713 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Hard-boiled eggs that I've made and packed the night before are my go-to protein breakfast. I can add in veggies, hummus, or tortillas depending on what I want.

Weigh this or whatever you want for breakfast the night before and input your calories. Then you can quickly microwave, eat, and go to work without needing to worry about your calories. Its all taken care of in advance. Can do this for lunch, too. That's what I do to make my life easier.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I don't have a problem with meal replacement shakes other than they're usually a bit too high in sugar. The ones I've tried have never filled me up, so they were pretty pointless for me.
    So if you don't mind the sugar, they fill you up, and you won't go back to eating the way that made you put on weight in the first place when you stop you using them, then go for it.
  • Neanbean13
    Neanbean13 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Ewwww no. Food dude. Way forward.
  • caradack1985
    caradack1985 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I can't say I'm a fan, I need a long term way of eating so that I lose weight and then maintain a healthy weight. MRP 's are not a long term solution. I do have a green smoothie now and again but that's more about getting a good quantity of veg in me and I usually drink it with a meal anyway!
  • hiyomi
    hiyomi Posts: 906 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I've never tried meal replacement shakes personally, but my mom started using them and she has lost about 20 lbs in 4 months or so. She usually drinks one at dinner and then has a very small dinner of like a salad or soup/sandwich, anything really, but just a very small portion. There is one that I have tried, the Nutrisystem shake in chocolate and it tastes AMAZING! I would drink it just as a chocolate shake snack since they were only 150 calories haha, it was so good and by far the best chocolate drink I've ever had lol But again, I didn't use them as actual meal replacements :p
  • duddysdad
    duddysdad Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I've tried Atkins shakes, SlimFast shakes, smoothies, etc. They do nothing for my appetite, and usually cause me to be even more hungry. Usually they are loaded with sugar, which spikes your insulin which can lead to hunger and cravings. For the calories of just one shake, you could have a nice big plate of lean protein and vegetables, which would do you a lot more for you than some liquid. It's all about sustainability. If you drink shakes as replacement for meals, and you lose all the weight you want to lose, then at the end what have you learned? How will that prepare you for maintaining your new weight? It won't teach you anything about nutrition and sustainability. It's a shortcut that usually doesn't end with desired results. It's a fad and is not the correct way to go about weight loss. The same goes for "fat burners" or "fat blockers", it's non-scientific backed bunk. You don't need anything but a healthy diet, ideally some exercise, time and patience.
  • Jeyradan
    Jeyradan Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I use meal replacement shakes for breakfast occasionally - not to help me lose weight (I can make a light breakfast that's approximately nutritionally equivalent), but because I love the taste and texture of the inexpensive ones I get*. They're like a treat to me, and I could absolutely make them a habit for life (and probably will). A lot of people here don't like them because they can be high in sugar and most people don't consider them a permanent lifestyle change, but I budget for the sugar in mine (although there are versions with low or no sugar out there if you look) and, as I said, would definitely consider them for life.

I make mine with unsweetened almond milk (it happens to be low on calories, but that's coincidence - I just use it because I don't tolerate dairy well) and they keep me full until lunchtime with no problem. For health value or deliciousness, you can always blend in some extra nutrients. A frozen banana turns most flavours into an amazing milkshake, or you could add peanut butter/PB2 for protein, frozen fruit, nutritional supplements (things like chia, oats or flax), or even vegetables.

*Tesco store brand (my favourite flavour is the vanilla), so not much help to you unless you're in the UK.
  • christareid28
    christareid28 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I use them once in awhile if something happens that is unplanned and I need something to eat. My doctor actually said its a good idea to have them available. I buy HMR shakes online just because I love the taste. I think all of them are fine it's just to each it's own.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Jeyradan wrote: »
    I use meal replacement shakes for breakfast occasionally - not to help me lose weight (I can make a light breakfast that's approximately nutritionally equivalent), but because I love the taste and texture of the inexpensive ones I get*. They're like a treat to me, and I could absolutely make them a habit for life (and probably will). A lot of people here don't like them because they can be high in sugar and most people don't consider them a permanent lifestyle change, but I budget for the sugar in mine (although there are versions with low or no sugar out there if you look) and, as I said, would definitely consider them for life.

I make mine with unsweetened almond milk (it happens to be low on calories, but that's coincidence - I just use it because I don't tolerate dairy well) and they keep me full until lunchtime with no problem. For health value or deliciousness, you can always blend in some extra nutrients. A frozen banana turns most flavours into an amazing milkshake, or you could add peanut butter/PB2 for protein, frozen fruit, nutritional supplements (things like chia, oats or flax), or even vegetables.

*Tesco store brand (my favourite flavour is the vanilla), so not much help to you unless you're in the UK.

Yeah, this is primarily why I make one occasionally, too. I don't use it as a meal replacement per se, but I like the flavor of the shakes I have. I tried the Slim Fast plan years ago...I lost weight, but got tired of being hangry all the time, and the weight came back as soon as I stopped. Doesn't mean I don't like shakes (well, except Slim Fast..yuck)..but using them for two meals a day doesn't do much for hunger for me. Plus, it obviously didn't teach me how to maintain that weight loss.
    I'll also make one if I start feeling snacky some times, too.

They are not necessary for weight loss, though.
  • witchy_wife
    witchy_wife Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I enjoy eating food way too much to use shakes regularly. Even my protein shakes are a poor second to eating now I have discovered protein pancakes for breakfast!

I'd say rather than meal replacements, go for a protein shake and add a bit of fruit / veggies, maybe some nuts or flax to make it a more all round nutritious drink. Just my opinion and what I do if I don't have a great deal of time and have to grab something quick.