I'm sick, on the keto diet, and do not want to cook a thing!

Options
Christie23
Christie23 Posts: 357 Member
edited July 2016 in Food and Nutrition
I am on Day 34 of keto and I have an awful case of bronchitis. All that I want in this world is ice cream and chicken noodle soup. I love to cook and usually, I cook all of our meals to ensure carb counts, but I can barely make it to the restroom without being dizzy. Do I risk being kicked out of ketosis for my coveted canned comfy soup? I've been sipping on tea, and that's alright, but not very filling. It's moments like this when I get weak, both figuratively and literally...

Replies

• sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    You can have the broth - that might help. Maybe you are low on sodium and that is why you are getting dizzy.

It's up to you whether or not you want to eat the noodles and what not.
  • pmm3437
    pmm3437 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    A can of Campbell's Homestyle Country-Style Chicken Noodle Soup only has 16g carbs.

Same for the old condensed standby that most of us grew up with.

If your tracking your intake, and you know your carb limit to remain in ketosis ( which you should that far along ), you can answer that better than anyone else could. Generally speaking, no more than 50g is what is recommended/necessary to achieve it.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    just eat the damn ice cream.

When I'm sick- that's all i eat- soup. and ice cream. period.

any regulatory issues I've imposed on myself go out the window when I'm sick.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    You could always remove some of the noodles from the soup...
  • Christie23
    Options
    pmm3437 wrote: »
    A can of Campbell's Homestyle Country-Style Chicken Noodle Soup only has 16g carbs.

If your tracking your intake, and you know your carb limit to remain in ketosis ( which you should that far along ), you can answer that better than anyone else could. Generally speaking, no more than 50g is what is recommended/necessary to achieve it.

I do and I have, but I am still trying to limit my carb intake to 20g-25g.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Christie23 wrote: »
    pmm3437 wrote: »

I do and I have, but I am still trying to limit my carb intake to 20g-25g.

outside of a good medical reason to do so right now- if you're body is craving carbs... I would say feed your body carbs.
  • jmarie1025
    jmarie1025 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Just drink the broth or google a recipe for low carb egg drop soup. You'll regret eating ice cream and noodles.
    Also if you're dizzy due to lack of electrolytes, the broth will work wonders for you!
  • Traveler120
    Traveler120 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Or you solve your problem by not doing silly diets like keto.
  • Christie23
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Or you solve your problem by not doing silly diets like keto.

Ah. Well when you put it that way, your rudeness totally convinced me of my silliness. I have seen the light.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    LOL

I wouldn't worry about it too much. If you go out of ketosis for a day or two it is not a big deal. You may get increased cravings or appetite if you are one of those who finds keto cuts their food intake naturally, but being sick, you may end up undereating anyways.

You may regain a bit of lost water weight, but it doesn't really matter. It's just water weight. It will fall off agan once you cut carbs again.

Being in ketosis is not often the main goal for one who is low carb, anyways. Fat adaption, where the body readily usese fat oxidation first for almost all fuels is the lonnger term goal. Changing how the body uses fuel. A day or two out of ketosis won't hurt that if your overall diet is LCHF. You're pretty new to keto, and probably not flly fat adapted yet, but a few days of just low carb, rather than very low carb, won't hurt you. :) If you daily carbs are up to 40 or 50g for a day, that's still ketosis for most.

That being said, I would snack on pepperoni sticks, cheese, some really cold or frozen whipped cream, a salty broth with a bit of butter, a bag of pork rinds, or a "bullet proof" chai tea (yummy).

Hope you feel better.
  • ldowdesw
    ldowdesw Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Concentrate on getting yourself well, you sound determined enough to lose the weight that you will be straight back to healthy eating when your back on your feet. Be kind to yourself. X