Quitting Smoking and Weight Loss

Options
Looking for input from those who quit smoking and worked on weight loss at the same time. I'm working on cutting back on my smoking gradually. I'm wondering what kind of affects I might see. I know my appetite will probably be increased with this. Anyone have any tips to work through this?

Replies

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I found my appetite increased because I could taste foods again, and they all tasted good! The first time I quit smoking, I actually lost weight. I had become more active at the time. The second time, I gained weight. I hadn't made any activity changes, but I ate all the foods because they were tasty.

My recommendation, just keep an eye on your calorie balance. Quitting does not automatically mean you will gain. Good luck! It was one of the hardest things I've done, but well worth it.
  • VelvetMerkin
    VelvetMerkin Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I started running when I quit smoking. It helped me connect a tangible benefit (i.e. being able to run farther and with less discomfort) to quitting and the knowledge that the running would get harder if I started again helped motivate me to stick with it. As an added bonus it gives you more calories to work with, which helps compensate if you do find yourself stress eating.
  • ChrisPontiff
    ChrisPontiff Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I'm doing 30 minutes a day on the elliptical. Trying to move to doing 30 minutes twice a day by taking the time I usually smoke in the mornings and getting on the elliptical instead.
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    I lost weight when I quit smoking. I made a conscious decision to eat something healthy during my "smoke break" times, or to take a walk. But I was SO ready to quit that within a week I didn't miss it and it was 5 years in September. Replace the unhealthy habit with something healthy.
  • attnmike
    attnmike Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    As others said; brisk walks/exercise helps a lot. I also brushed my teeth and used mouthwash whenever cravings hit.
  • sourcandies
    sourcandies Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I kept my hands busy and chewed on crunchy snacks, carrot sticks and celery, stuff like that.
    Walking helps, especially when you realize you can breathe again :smile:
  • Cynsonya
    Cynsonya Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking about 4 years ago. Just decided to lose the weight this year so I have no advice for the combo of going at both at the same time.

I just wanted to say congrats for making the best decision for your health you possibly could! Giving up the cigarettes was the best decision I ever made.
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Been 16 years, thanks for reminding me. I didn't gain when I quit. Food tasted and suddenly smokers stunk but fortunately no gain. Don't worry it's not mandatory to gain, just quit, you'll feel better very soon. It's not easy but soo worth it!
  • ChrisPontiff
    ChrisPontiff Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Been 16 years, thanks for reminding me. I didn't gain when I quit. Food tasted and suddenly smokers stunk but fortunately no gain. Don't worry it's not mandatory to gain, just quit, you'll feel better very soon. It's not easy but soo worth it!
    That's awesome. My girlfriend decided to quit about a week or so ago so it was time for me to get onboard. We've been talking about it but she had enough talking lol.
  • LunaGreen
    LunaGreen Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Bump,
    I'm also struggling with this. I find that even though I'm working out more I'm smoking more because I replace food with smoking sometimes. I keep saying I'll quit when I get to my goal weight (one venture at a time) but my body hates it.
    Hoping more people chime in, Thanks to those who have already posted!
  • hukimama
    hukimama Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Looking for input from those who quit smoking and worked on weight loss at the same time. I'm working on cutting back on my smoking gradually. I'm wondering what kind of affects I might see. I know my appetite will probably be increased with this. Anyone have any tips to work through this?

A great free website is quitnet.com. You will find a lot of support there when you finally decide to quit. Both times I've quit, I've felt so good I then start a diet and exercise program. It helped keep my mind off smoking. Also kept me motivated to stay quit. Good luck!
  • Lazz5k
    Lazz5k Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I'm going to try and quit now... the price is wayyy too high for me - & - it's time for me to quit as a runner.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I went the vaping route, so ended up with none of the side-effects that come with smoking cessation. Not for everyone, but my wallet thanks me, I can breathe again, and I had no fork-to-mouth issues.
  • LisaKay91
    LisaKay91 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I actually picked up smoking when I started losing weight, it's only been two weeks since I began smoking but still, ugh.. when I get cravings for food I just go smoke.
    I do notice food doesn't taste as lovely. I likely will quit cold turkey and increase my water intake to take my mind off cravings.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    Read Allen Carr's Easy way to quit smoking. It was awesome! You smoke while you read the book and when you're done, you don't smoke anymore. Easy peezy
  • mommazach
    mommazach Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking about 16 months ago. My husband and I were both smokers, and he had a heart attack. Scared the daylights out of me. I decided the effort was going to need to be there, and I was NOT gaining weight. I started jogging in the morning. Instead of getting up and having my coffee and a smoke, I went a mile. I walked/jogged and watched my times go down. I increased my lung capacity, and could breathe better. I got faster and lost the time it took to get a mile. I went from 15 minutes, to 12 minutes, to 7 minutes, to 5. Once I got my mile in, I went 2 miles, then 3. I really got sick of running, so I bought an elliptical. Then I started some videos. The smoking was tough during driving, so I rode my bike for awhile to work. After about 6 weeks... I wasn't craving the cigarettes as much, and I can't stand the smell of smoke on people now. I quit smoking, but my hubby still hasn't. I feel better and my endurance is greater than it has ever been. I did use gum and patches to help, and they do work. Hardest thing is the mindset. Best choice for me was to see improvement on my breathing. I had to get my blood work done last year and this for work. Last year I was at high risk for heart attack, and this year it's not even showing up.

Best of luck to you. It took me 20 years to quit. It was another struggle, but well worth it in the long run.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I changed my routine! Everything had to change as everything in my house was a trigger. That is biggest thing.

I started running while I was quitting. I also vaped, not even the same thing to me, but it did help.
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Read Allen Carr's Easy way to quit smoking. It was awesome! You smoke while you read the book and when you're done, you don't smoke anymore. Easy peezy

That book is on my shelf. Read it at least six times. Still smoke about a pack a day. Glad I got it used for like a dollar.

It is probably helpful for some people, but it wasn't particularly helpful for me. Thinking of switching to vaping. Defiantly cheaper, very probably safer, and if I can avoid the withdrawals that's an added bonus!

• dancing_daisy
    dancing_daisy Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I just quit four days ago. I joined a gym (no x-long contract) so I could go whenever I felt like to take my mind of smoking. Turns out I've been there every night since joining, even if only for 30-45 minutes. I don't plan to do it forever but for the next few weeks it should:

- help elivate my mood
    - wear me out to help me sleep at night (sleeping trouble often accompanies quitting)
    - keep my metabolism up (smoking 20 a day puts the equivalent strain of carrying an extra 90lbs on the heart - that burns 250 calories a day in itself).
    - Initially it has flushed the nicotine/toxins from my body faster
    - I can eat pretty much what I want and not gain weight (am prepared not to loss for the few weeks either!)

No ecigs, no patches etc. These make the process easier but longer. Only crutch has been calms to cool the anxiety and anger - working well so far. Up to this point I'd recommend exercise as the best replacement for smoking.
  • dkabambe
    dkabambe Posts: 544 Member
    Options

First time I quit was just after reading this book, even though I hadn't actually intended to quit at that point - didn't notice any effects weight-wise. Went without for 8 years but started again last year, (bad time in my life which also contributed to the weight gain).

This time around started trying to lose weight and quit smoking [cold turkey] at same time about two weeks ago. So far, so good - the increased exercise has quelled my cravings, and I feel a lot better in general than a couple of weeks back.