Gym Scale

Options
Mini-rant: Is it possible that gym scales can be off?

I've been measuring myself in inches and those have been coming off. (Woo hoo!) I step on a scale at home--which is accurate in weighing a 15lb free weight--and turns out I've been shedding pounds, too.

I'm starting to think my gym is like Globo Gym from the movie Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story :huh:

Okay, mini-rant over...have a great day, everyone! :smile:

Replies

• Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure I understand the problem. Are you saying that the scale at the gym shows no weight loss, or that you weigh differently at the gym than at home?

Most people weight themselves at home buck naked as soon as they've peed and pooed and prior to ingesting ANYTHING. That will be your most consistent weight and usually the lowest of the day.

At the gym, you've probably eaten/drunk something, probably aren't naked, etc.

So I wouldn't be surprised to find the gym scale and your home scale showing different weights, but unless you're only down a couple of pounds, I'd expect to see a loss on both scales.
  • Texas501
    Texas501 Posts: 274
    Options
    "I'm starting to think my gym is like Globo Gym from the movie Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story "

HILARIOUS! So you think management is adjusting the scales up to make patrons come in more and work out longer? Too funny.

Stick to one scale and go with that one.
  • aneisiena
    aneisiena Posts: 63
    Options
    I like both of these replies.

Atlantique, it was more of a complaint than a problem. Haha. It was a couple of pounds, so you're right on the money (...but you know how those pounds are LIKE money when you're busting your behind!)

Texas501, so glad you "got it!" It works, though! If the numbers are higher than they were a few days ago, I usually up the intensity.

All in all, it was nice to see CHANGE.

Tip for newbies: Get into the habit of measuring yourself in inches, too. That could be how your progress shows rather than the numbers on the scale. Yay for 3 inches lost!