Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Is it possible to bulk and lose fat at the same time

Options
robs_ready
robs_ready Posts: 1,488 Member
If so, what are your tips for achieving this?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    No
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Bulking is bulking (means eating at surplus calories with equals fat gain and muscle gain, you can determine slower fat gain by doing a "clean" bulk. The leaner you are body fat% wise the better.

Or you can recomp (eating maintenance and/or include a very small deficit) to loose fat and build muscle. But this will take forever and a day!

Am I missing something here (it is a little early where I live)..

edited to add: is this a debate?
  • robs_ready
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    Bulking is bulking (means eating at surplus calories with equals fat gain and muscle gain, you can determine slower fat gain by doing a "clean" bulk. The leaner you are body fat% wise the better.

Or you can recomp (eating maintenance and/or include a very small deficit) to loose fat and build muscle. But this will take forever and a day!

Thanks for this, it's not so much a debate, I was just considering my options.

I think based on this response, I'm going to maintain my current weight training program and add some form of cardio to my training.

I dont really want to eat less, I love my food! Thanks.
  • RoxieDawn
    Options
    robs_ready wrote: »

I think based on this response, I'm going to maintain my current weight training program and add some form of cardio to my training.

After doing this for a while, you may find you are ready to take the next plunge in gainz (should you choose too) and do a clean bulk. It does not have to be massive in surplus calories (maybe 200 more or so)..

Good luck. :)
  • Erik8484
    Erik8484 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    You can do it with "supplements".
  • RoxieDawn
    Options
    Erik8484 wrote: »

Not real good sound advice! :(
  • robs_ready
    Options

After doing this for a while, you may find you are ready to take the next plunge in gainz (should you choose too) and do a clean bulk. It does not have to be massive in surplus calories (maybe 200 more or so)..

I definitely will eat cleaner next cycle, but I really wanna get down to 10-12% body fat percentage. Thank you :)
  • robs_ready
    Options

Nah man, not for me. I don't need any of that stuff
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options

Very few actually need it.

On the other hand, no one actually needs sub 10% bodyfat either.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options

OP said "I definitely will eat cleaner next cycle, but I really wanna get down to 10-12% body fat percentage." He didn't say sub 10%.

Not that there is anything wrong with males in the 8-10% range...

25984311325_a9db7fa603_b.jpg

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options

OP said "I definitely will eat cleaner next cycle, but I really wanna get down to 10-12% body fat percentage." He didn't say sub 10%.

My point was that lack of need doesn't preclude desire. I just found his choice of wording to be odd.
  • robs_ready
    Options

My point was that lack of need doesn't preclude desire. I just found his choice of wording to be odd.

Why is it odd lol?
  • BodyByBex
    BodyByBex Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options

I can confirm this information. I have been at a recomp for forever.... still waiting for 'the day'. :grumble:

I MIGHT be gearing up to take the plunge into a bulk/cut. :mrgreen:

But I admit, I'm scared :scream:
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

I definitely will eat cleaner next cycle, but I really wanna get down to 10-12% body fat percentage. Thank you :)

a clean bulk has nothing to do with eating "clean." what that poster meant was a small surplus of 200-250 calories so that you gain about .5 pound a week and minimize fat gains.

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I will rebut and say that eating at maintenance and lifting heavy, while getting enough protein, isn't as slow as people make it out to be.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    I will rebut and say that eating at maintenance and lifting heavy, while getting enough protein, isn't as slow as people make it out to be.

agree it is probably about the same time a bulk/cut cycle would take ...just depends on how one wants to attack it...

the problem can be - and this is true with any method - training consistency. That has been my problem the past month because real life...
  • jmt08c
    jmt08c Posts: 343 Member
    Options

I'd recommend doing HIIT cardio, not steady state. Also when you get to the point in your training when you're focusing on macros and nutrient timing play around a bit with it and test different macro %s to determine what works best for you. There is no universal best regime.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

Agreed and largely depends on your training. I worked with a woman who went from 26% bf down to 18% in 18 months (started at 153 @ 26% down to 150 @ 18%). And this was all done with a 5-day a week crossfit habit.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

@RoxieDawn
    Regarding the bold.... Maybe for you but not for everyone.
    OP is young and male which gives him huge advantages in terms of recomp speed and effectiveness.
  • RoxieDawn
    edited August 2016
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

@RoxieDawn
    Regarding the bold.... Maybe for you but not for everyone.
    OP is young and male which gives him huge advantages in terms of recomp speed and effectiveness.

Thank you for pointing out that I gave terrible advice. It is just a phrase I used .. I have to watch this in the future.