Thinking of jogging!!

Options
So I started at the gym 2 months ago, mainly elliptical and bike at 30 minutes each, and lost about 13lbs. I am now thinking about starting to jog but still being a 16st fatty is this such a good idea?

Am I best to stay with the elliptical and bike for "low impact" exercise? Should I lose more weight then start trying to jog?

Replies

• pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Try jogging SLOWLY and see how it goes. You really won't know how you're effected until you give it a try.
  • CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    Do interval training. Jog for 60 seconds walk for 90, jog for 60, walk for 90..... Do that a couple times and when you're getting comfortable with 60 then jog for 90, walk for 90 do that a couple times. And just keep extending the running/jogging part....
  • jdawson002
    jdawson002 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your replies....I will give them a go!
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    OP are you just gonna do this to loose weight (i.e. burn calories, etc.) If so, stick with the elliptical and bike. I know that sounds like I am telling you to cop out on the idea, but running is really something that people do outside of loosing weight. Will you loose anymore weight any better or faster, no not really, You might burn some extra calories as you are trying to get in shape, but that is the key, it takes a while to get into good running shape.

The question I will ask, is this something you feel like you will take up to help you maintain way after weight loss is achieved?

You asked about low impact elliptical and bike as you may have issues with joint pain, or aliments in which pounding on your legs is something you would like to avoid?

If I am off base, certainly try it, but do this slowly. Your cardio vascular system is not the only thing that has to be in shape to run, you have to build fitness and avoid injury.

you might want to look into couch to 5K.
  • Diana_GettingFit
    Diana_GettingFit Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    You might want to look into something called Couch To 5K. It's a way to ease gently into running. I did something similar.
  • JeriMulder
    JeriMulder Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I just started "jogging". I'm 50 years old and have NEVER run. I'm doing it because I love strength training but HATE cardio... and I want something efficient. I've started indoors (because of the heat). I'm going 35 min. 5 min warm up to 2% incline and 3.7 mph. I'm super short and 3.7 is pushing it for me right now from a stride & cardio standpoint. In every 5 minute segment I jog for 90 seconds at 4.7 mph... (I started with 60 seconds at 4.4). My plan is to just continue bumping the time jogging and speed until i'm jogging the entire 30 minutes at a speed that seems a reasonable pace for 3-5 miles. I plan to sign up for a 5k to stay motivated. After I do my walk/jogging I use an app called 7 minute workout. I do jumping jacks, wall sit, push ups, chair step ups, plank, squats, lunges, push ups with rotation & side planks. I will say my hips and legs have been a little sore & fatigued. I take 1 rest day a week. I am also getting my bicycle tuned up and plan to ride a few miles a few times a week outside with my husband & do a yoga routine a couple times a week for flexiblilty. My goal is a total of 25lbs.
  • LPflaum
    LPflaum Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    The interval idea is GREAT! If you push hard through your intervals (between your rests) its a great fat burning tool. I use an interval timer on my phone that will play tones in the background over my music (HIIT Timer) and I find it makes running much more bearable for me. I HATE steady state jogging with a passion.
  • jdawson002
    jdawson002 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone.

My main goal is to lose weight; I've already lost quite a bit using the elliptical and bike but wanted to try other things.

The trouble is, at 16 stone things still wobble so the elliptical and bike are ideal. I think I'll try the interval method and see how it goes!!

Are there any special breathing techniques for jogging? On the elliptical I tend to breath in nose, hold for a second and then breath out of mouth.....I heard you can avoid getting a stitch that way!!!
  • Matt71Fleming
    Matt71Fleming Posts: 68 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I was sixteen and a half stone (almost) I started walking at a good pace.I walked for 30 minutes and upped my speed and distance.From there I started some light jogging intervals and steadily increased the length of intervals and speed.After about nine months of steadily increasing weekly I run a half marathon distance once a week and shorter (7-10)miles runs 3-4 times a week.All I can say is take it slowly and let your body tell you when it's ready to go faster and longer.All the best and enjoy! Sorry forgot to add I've altered my diet.I cut out a lot of rubbish I was eating my weight is down to twelve stone five pounds.
  • amyn73
    amyn73 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I started running when I was heavier and yes, it wasn't pretty. Lol. But now I love it. I run 3-5 miles a day, have lost 50 pounds, and my body looks better than it did when I was 20. Go slow, listen to your body, run on a treadmill to reduce wear and tear on joints and I think you'll do great!!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    OP are you just gonna do this to loose weight (i.e. burn calories, etc.) If so, stick with the elliptical and bike. I know that sounds like I am telling you to cop out on the idea, but running is really something that people do outside of loosing weight. Will you loose anymore weight any better or faster, no not really, You might burn some extra calories as you are trying to get in shape, but that is the key, it takes a while to get into good running shape.

The question I will ask, is this something you feel like you will take up to help you maintain way after weight loss is achieved?

You asked about low impact elliptical and bike as you may have issues with joint pain, or aliments in which pounding on your legs is something you would like to avoid?

If I am off base, certainly try it, but do this slowly. Your cardio vascular system is not the only thing that has to be in shape to run, you have to build fitness and avoid injury.

you might want to look into couch to 5K.
    Not quite true. I started running when I wanted to lose weight and that was my only reason. There's nothing quite like the calorie burn from pushing all of your body mass through space. Biking and the elliptical don't compare to that or the overall fitness and bone health benefits. 5.5 years later and I'm still running and have lots of races under my belt. You never know if you'll really like something until you do it. :smile:

OP, I agree with the Couch to 5K interval approach but be sure to stick to it religiously. Only run every other day and don't run more than is scheduled for that day. You need to get your body used to the stress that running places on your body and the program is made to get you used to it gradually. Be sure you aren't doing anything high impact on the day between your C25K sessions; something like the elliptical or biking is great for this. During your running intervals you should be running slowly. No, slower than that. I know what you're thinking! Your running pace at first will probably not be much faster than your walking pace. You should be able to carry on a limited conversation with an (imaginary) partner while you're running. You're building endurance, not speed.

As far as breathing, whatever is most comfortable to you is how you should breathe. There's no proven benefit to breathing in any particular manner.