Day 3 Vegan

Options
Aihs808
Aihs808 Posts: 19 Member
So, I'm trying out this vegan thing and I've gone full force for 3 days now. It's actually not as hard as I thought it would be. Anyway, I'm trying to lose weight at the same time. Doesn't seem too hard since I don't feel gross and hungry all the time as a (brand new) vegan. I'm actually eating less calories than healthy, accidentally. I eat a lot of fruits, vegetables, vegan breakfast muffins, and rice. Which calorie dense foods do vegans eat to make the macros? That aren't meat substitutes. I'm excited to continue this journey.

Replies

• ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    What are your protein sources? It looks like you're eating mostly carbs.

I would recommend tempeh or tofu, avocados, sweet potato, and quinoa (you could alternate it with the rice).

• littlechiaseed
    littlechiaseed Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Tofu, tempeh, setein, beans, try making any of those with a side of brown rice or quinoa and/or veg. Also be sure you are still have snacks like fruit, or portioned out nuts/seeds.
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Tofu, nuts and beans for protein
  • Aihs808
    Aihs808 Posts: 19 Member
    Options

I would recommend tempeh or tofu, avocados, sweet potato, and quinoa (you could alternate it with the rice).

I am eating a lot of carbs lol I have sweet potatoes and lentils ready to make. I also have black beans? What's your favorite tofu dish?
  • ericatoday
    ericatoday Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    The make vegan protein powders. Vegan alfredo is made with beans. Lentil tacos or chili
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Even though I'm not a vegetarian/vegan, one of my go-to protein sources is Vega protein powder. I prefer it to whey protein powder most definitely. I love blending it with fruits, vegetables, spices, coffee; endless possibilities. If you're not opposed to protein shakes and have a blender or shaker cup, I'd recommend giving it a try. I've heard good things about Sunwarrior but I haven't tried that (yet), and I've tried a few varieties of Garden of Life protein powder but I find that it's extremely gritty in comparison to Vega. Also, D's Naturals fluffbutter and protein bars are fantastic in my opinion. Both are vegan and soy/gluten free as well. I like dipping apples in the fluffbutter, making PB&J with it, or mixing it into yogurt. Since you're vegan, it would go great mixed in vegan yogurt which tends to be lacking in protein unless it's soy based.
  • withoutasaddle
    withoutasaddle Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I got most of my protein from breads actually. People don't seem to realize how much protein can be packed into some good brands!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Some of the calorie-dense foods I enjoy most are avocado, potatoes, pasta, breads, hummus, beans, nut butters, chocolate, and beans.
  • live2dream
    live2dream Posts: 614 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Way to go! Keep up the good work.

I recommend this article for those who ask that 'where do you get your protein' crap. haha

http://www.richroll.com/blog/slaying-the-protein-myth/
    and
    http://freefromharm.org/health-nutrition/vegan-doctor-addresses-protein-question/

Actually all the articles on http://freefromharm.org are pretty great!

Your macros will probably be somewhat different as a vegan and that's okay! We eat lots of good carbs for fuel and it's very energizing :)

Add me if you'd like more vegan support! <3
  • Hiro_Protagonist
    Hiro_Protagonist Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes are an easy way to get both your nutrients and calories if you have problems just add calorie dense things like peanut butter etc just do a web search on calorie dense vegan foods.

Enjoy your new lifestyle but make sure to get adequate vitamins specifically B12. Most people supplement their diet anyways so ordering or finding a B12 supplement shouldn't be too difficult.

Of course knowing your macro and micro nutrient needs...

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819055/setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets/p1

Good luck!

• Pipx69
    Pipx69 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've been vegetarian for an age, but had decided to go vegan shortly before trying to get fitter and lose some weight. Despite eating healthily I was struggling to get the right balance, and my weight loss had plateaued so I've just started with a protein shake for breakfast. After only 5 days can honestly say it makes my life so much easier, and finally the weight has started to shift again :)

I went for PHd Superfood Protein (just because it was available in Holland and Barrett when I was there), and it is not awful, which is the best thing I can say about the taste and texture, but I'd still recommend it for the fact you can shake for breakfast and then eat basically whatever else you would want to.

Good luck!
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    I got most of my protein from breads actually. People don't seem to realize how much protein can be packed into some good brands!

Extra Gluten!!! If you bake your own bread at home, gluten is available to purchase to add to your flour. I am a big fan.
  • lizzynose
    lizzynose Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Myprotein.com makes a nice vegan blend protein powder. The chocolate one is great with peanut butter, banana and almond milk!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,966 Member
    Options
    My vegan friends make legumes the backbone of their diet. Here are 107 vegan recipes featuring beans and lentils.
  • RitaRose91
    RitaRose91 Posts: 38 Member
    Options

Tofu, tempeh, setein, beans, try making any of those with a side of brown rice or quinoa and/or veg. Also be sure you are still have snacks like fruit, or portioned out nuts/seeds.
    Tofu, nuts and beans for protein

all of these!!! Pinterest has lots of awesome vegan recipes too if you need any :D
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    Making a starch your food base works for some people.

I make beans and lentils my base (for protein reasons) and add whole grains (like quinoa and millet) and tons of vegetables, with fruit for dessert.

Remember, you need to take a B12 supplement (the only thing you can't get from plants, that and iodine), possible a calcium supplement (but it is possible to get all your calcium from plants), and eat a verity of foods so you get a complete protein mix and complete nutrients.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »

I make beans and lentils my base (for protein reasons) and add whole grains (like quinoa and millet) and tons of vegetables, with fruit for dessert.

Remember, you need to take a B12 supplement (the only thing you can't get from plants, that and iodine), possible a calcium supplement (but it is possible to get all your calcium from plants), and eat a verity of foods so you get a complete protein mix and complete nutrients.

You can get iodine from plants -- sea vegetables are a good source of it. Many of us don't eat them regularly, so supplementation (or fortified salt) may be the best choice. But you can get it from plant foods.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,966 Member
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »

You can get iodine from plants -- sea vegetables are a good source of it. Many of us don't eat them regularly, so supplementation (or fortified salt) may be the best choice. But you can get it from plant foods.

Ya, seaweed is a great source of iodine, and the highest iodine-containing food on this list.

I'm an omnivore, don't use iodized salt, and developed symptoms of an iodine deficiency which resolved after I started supplementing with kelp tablets, which are really cheap: Now Foods, Kelp, 150 mcg, 200 Tablets $6.36