"Eat This Not That"

Options
jr3500
jr3500 Posts: 5 Member
edited August 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
Originally developed by Men's Health Magazine, this company compares food and tells you what to eat. And they're constantly promoting their $50 book ... "but wait" if you buy now, you get these 3 free gifts! ... Seems like an infomercial. ... Has anyone bought their eBook? Is it worth it? Supposedly contains 15-day meal plans, menus, shopping lists, etc ... Maybe MFP has something similar it's not selling ....???

Replies

• bethannien
    bethannien Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    I do have a "cook this not that" cookbook. There are about two recipes I liked well enough to use again.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    There is a whole series of these books. They have lots of good suggestions. You cAn get them cheap on Amazon.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    From what I've seen on their blurbs, they have a lot of simply BAD information mixed with the good suggestions.

If you're dead set on someone giving you a meal plan, I'd recommend Cooking Light , or the month of menus at Women's Day, or Family Circle or Better Homes & Gardens "healthy meals". Added advantage; they're all free and Pinterest-ready.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I would never let anyone tell me what to eat and not to eat, let alone paying them to do so :s

Buying or otherwise trying to follow other peoples' meal plans will have you preoccupied with trying to stick to the arbitrary rules and finicky details and never understand what's important, and the purpose of what you are doing. The whole CONCEPT of MFP is freeing yourself from all that. All you have to do to lose weight, is to have a sustained calorie deficit. All you have to do to eat healthily, is to get enough of everything you need but not too much of anything. There are endless ways to achieve those goals. People have different preferences and different needs. You need to find a way of eating that you can live happily with for the rest of your life, and learn how to adjust to changes in your life. Nobody can give you a meal plan that supplies you with all that.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I remember taking a quick look at one of their books using the "look inside" function on Amazon. It was not for me because it was largely US based, but if I were in the US I could see how it would be useful. It skipped the chatter and scrolled to the actual content. That particular book was basically comparing similar dishes at different restaurants. I can see how that would be useful when you are eating out and have a particular food in mind. It makes picking something that has fewer calories easier. Not sure how the meal plan would work or how the shopping list ties into it. But then again, it was the only book in the series I looked inside, so that's all I know about it.

Edit: while resturaunt food comparisons can be useful, I rarely (if ever) buy dieting cooking books. It's fairly easy to lower the calories in most conventional dishes if you know the basics of nutrition and cooking. Basically, you use less fat and/or more vegetables fillers. If still lost, google is largest cooking book.
  • cecsav1
    cecsav1 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Library. :) Check it out for FREE!
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    My issue with "eat this, not that" (and it is MY issue that I'm not trying to push on anyone) is that if I want "that" and instead eat "this," I'll always still want "that." If I can't control myself and wind up having "this" and "that," I've probably overeaten and lost track of my goals. It's best for me to figure out a controlled way to have "that" and get the monkey off my back. If I want nachos but have crudité instead because a book told me to, I mean, come on.
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Agree with @amusedmonkey that the info on restaurants is good, but a lot of times I get emails with promises of "how to lose 10 pounds" that are either very simple diet tips that my cat could tell you, or an advertisement for one of their products.
    You will find way better information on this site.
  • jr3500
    jr3500 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I agree with all your comments. Thank you for taking the time ... I thought I was missing something on the ETNT site, but all in all, it's just another channel for them to sell their book(s).
  • ktekc
    ktekc Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    I have 3 or 4 of their books but i got them at goodwill for like a buck each. I like their supermarket one. Some interesting info in them but dont believe everything they hype. Use common sence.