Eating more to lose more?

Options
Hello,

I've started to hit somewhat of a plateau in my weight loss. I've read about eating more whenever this happens. I plan on adding 120 calories to my daily intake, to put me at 1420 cal/day. Do you think this will be sufficient? Has anyone had success from adding calories?

Replies

• pikselinka
    pikselinka Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    You might not lose because you eat too little. If you eat low calorie, you will eventually hit a point where your body will decide it is starving thus preventing losing, it happened to me to. Good thing in this situation would be calculating you TDEE, and be honest with yourself when you do. How active are you? Eg. to maintain my weight, I work out almost everyday for more than an hour, my work hours wary, but my adivice is, don't count work expenditure into account, unless you work physically like in a warehouse or construction or factory. I maintain at around 2200-2500, depending on day. I tend to up my calories to maintain for a while eg two weeks, to entice weight loss again all you do is deduct around 200 cals, and this is pretty aggressive deduction in my opinion. What is your weight and hight? How much do you workout?
    elphie754 wrote: »
    No. Adding more calories would actually slow down your weight loss, not speed it up.

Depends on her daily needs, her workouts, her work, her activity, you don't know that it will slow it down, very very close minded opinion.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    How long have you been at your current calories and how long have you been on the "plateau"?
  • GeoBaybee
    GeoBaybee Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I will add my stats to see if this helps. I am 5'5". I started this journey at 161 lbs and am currently at 129 lbs. I have done 1300 calories this whole time. I do exercise 3-4x a week. I wear an Apple Watch that shows my average steps a day is around 12k. My average calorie burn is 1925 (active calorie average is 416).
  • GeoBaybee
    Options
    I would like to lose around 10-12 more lbs.
  • GeoBaybee
    edited August 2016
    Options
    cathipa wrote: »
    How long have you been at your current calories and how long have you been on the "plateau"?

Been at my calories for 15 weeks. Been in a plateau for about 3 weeks. I will lose 1lb, gain 1lb.
  • cathipa
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Are you weighing your food and logging everything correctly? How much do you have to lose? The closer you are to your goal the slower the loss. To answer your initial question yes you can eat more and still lose, but it depends. Yes you can eat more than 1200 calories and lose because for most people that is not enough, but if you are already eating close to maintenance calories then no you will probably not lose.

Edit to add: Your weight it in a healthy range and this is why you are not losing. You are active and should be eating more than 1300 calories a day. So yes I would recommend changing your MFP goal to 0.5 pounds loss per week and see what it recommends.
  • GeoBaybee
    Options
    Are you weighing your food and logging everything correctly? How much do you have to lose? The closer you are to your goal the slower the loss. To answer your initial question yes you can eat more and still lose, but it depends. Yes you can eat more than 1200 calories and lose because for most people that is not enough, but if you are already eating close to maintenance calories then no you will probably not lose.

I do use a food scale and weigh everything that's not prepackaged. I am very close to my goal (10 lbs -12 lbs out).I don't feel like this is my maintenance when I am burning 1900-2100 calories a day.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    GeoBaybee wrote: »

Been at my calories for 15 weeks. Been in a plateau for about 3 weeks. I will lose 1lb, gain 1lb.

Do you "trend watch" your weight on the scale? Gaining 1 loosing 1 sounds like fluctuations that are a normal part of weight loss and even maintaining weight.

Water weight/fluctuation due to sodium, carbs, muscle repair, female hormones, hydration and lack thereof.

Plus you are the last 10 pounds which is a little challenging than the first. The fluctuations are even more important to watch for now.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

Edit to add: Your weight it in a healthy range and this is why you are not losing. You are active and should be eating more than 1300 calories a day. So yes I would recommend changing your MFP goal to 0.5 pounds loss per week and see what it recommends.

No to the yes you can eat more and still loose but it depends statement.

Eating more to weight less (and yes there is a group here in MFP called EM2WL), is just a very slow way to loose weight. It allows you to not be in very much a hurry sort of speaking to loose. So upping your calories is your choice but this does not break a stall like you are wanting to do and keep working with your deficit.
  • cathipa
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »

No to the yes you can eat more and still loose but it depends statement.

Eating more to weight less (and yes there is a group here in MFP called EM2WL), is just a very slow way to loose weight. It allows you to not be in very much a hurry sort of speaking to loose. So upping your calories is your choice but this does not break a stall like you are wanting to do and keep working with your deficit.

Most people on here tell MFP they want to lose 2 pounds a week (wouldn't we all) and for the majority this answer would be 1200 calories. So the OP originally asked if she upped her calories (which for her activity 1300 seems low) she could still up her calories and yes still lose. Because she is within a normal BMI weight loss will be slower than what she is used to.

Speaking from experience when I started yes I chose the 1200 calorie route, but then educated myself and hired a coach and with her help was able to lose at 1700 calories a day (starting weight 170 pounds). By following macros and exercise I was able to lose 30 pounds. So in this case yes I could eat more and still lose weight. I'm not alone in this scenario because others have done the same.
  • LPflaum
    LPflaum Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I started at 1200 calories and had a pretty similar problem. I lost weight quickly at first and plateaued with about 5-10 vanity lbs to go. I met with a fitness coach who looked at my log and said that "1200 calories was really light" for someone who was working out as much as me (5 days a week minimum, 30 minutes of cardio minimum each day + 30 min- 1 hr of weights). She advised me to add 100 calories back and try to get it all in healthy fats, as I was eating really lean. It seems to have worked. I've lost some more weight, but more than that, I've "leaned out" a ton in the last month.

I fully believe in CICO, but I think the 1200 calorie basement that MFP has is probably just too low for some people.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    GeoBaybee wrote: »

I do use a food scale and weigh everything that's not prepackaged. I am very close to my goal (10 lbs -12 lbs out).I don't feel like this is my maintenance when I am burning 1900-2100 calories a day.

how are you burning 1900 to 2100 calories a day???