Diet Coke. GOOD RIDDANCE!

Options
For the second time in my life, I have made the decision to quit my good friend Diet Coke. Anyone else having a similar experience? I feel that replacing it with water can only be beneficial! Plus, I have a feeling it is causing some of my teeth problems. I don't eat that much sugar and I brush and floss twice a day, yet somehow I get cavities! (Who knows if the DC is related but its not worth it anymore!)

Plus they say it is linked to belly fat. Yuck.

Here goes guys! Let me know if you want to join me in my journey! :)

Replies

• lkwalker71
    lkwalker71 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I am trying but some days are harder than others. I have tried to start limiting myself to 2 at the most. Weekends are the worst for me. I don't like coffee or tea so Diet Coke is my coffee. My sister gave up all sodas over 20 years ago, I wish I could. I was able to give them up for Lent last year. It was not that hard but for some reason I am having a hard time giving them up for good. I have tried replacing DC with Crystal Light and Sugar Free mix ins but still just cannot kick DC for good.
    I would love to join you on your journey.
  • hannahjoanne2011
    Options
    i luv my diet coke but i think i might hav to agree on caveties there hun but it has hidden calories so i just hav a can once in a while x
  • angievaughn
    angievaughn Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    have been clean and sober from diet coke almost 6 months!!! One of the best things I could of done for my body...and my teeth are getting whiter!! Good luck!!1
  • 0SimplymeStacyLea0
    Options
    I usually only have one a day, if that. I do like my diet coke and have always heard that it causes all sorts of problems but I think if I can limit myself to one a day or one every other day then I'll be ok. Most of the time I drink diet caffeine free coke...not sure if that helps or not but it actually taste better.
  • lggarland
    lggarland Posts: 9
    Options
    ohhh...I would love to- you are convicting me as I am craving one right now:) I have always hated drinking the chemicals, but switched over from real coke a couple of years ago b/c of the calories. I do drink a ton of water, but usually have 1 serving of caffeine a day- usually DC in the hot summer time. Good luck to you! I think I will try to join you, but slowly- maybe switch to every other day for the first couple of weeks.
  • Danahimself
    Danahimself Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Great job liberating yourself from such a product!

I have stopped drinking sodas including diets for quite some time.

Also know that since you do not buy Coca-Cola anymore you are not helping a company that commits human rights violations in South America and exploits people in other poor countries.

Be glad
  • Frappuzzino
    Frappuzzino Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Awesome job. Aspartame is one of the main culprits in diet drinks. I would actually choose regular soda over diet, if I ever had to drink it. :P
  • abbyko
    abbyko Posts: 108
    Options
    i luv my diet coke but i think i might hav to agree on caveties there hun but it has hidden calories so i just hav a can once in a while x

How exactly does it have hidden calories?
  • JLSTEGEM
    JLSTEGEM Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Good Job for quiting! I gave up diet coke and diet pepsi over a year ago. I use to drink 6+ cans a day. Now I make and drink my own iced tea. I don't have any cavities anymore. I drink lots and lots of water too - love it.
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I have also dumped soft drinks.
    I do buy straight soda water from time to time but I am on the wagon when comes to any of the sugar loaded carbonated beverages.
    Part of my low calorie & low sodium diet.
    It has been a little over a month and I have cheated only once (popcorn & drink at a movie).
    This has been one of my better decisions in life.

Good luck on your journey to better health.
  • svanhoecke
    svanhoecke Posts: 266
    Options
    I don't know about "hidden calories" but I definitely think there are enough other draw backs to DC that make it worth it to me to quit! Thanks for the support everybody. Feel free to add me as a friend!
  • radicalreader
    radicalreader Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I quit diet coke (for the final time!) in December.
    Since then, I have totally eliminated my problems with migraines, asthma attacks, IBS bloating, and acne.
    I fell off the wagon once in March ... totally zoned out and drank a can at my mom's house out of habit ... and within a 24-hour period I had a migraine, asthma episode, and big bloated belly. Got a huge zit later that week.

Coincidence? Perhaps. But I'm convinced that my body just doesn't do well processing all those chemicals.

Now I drink water every time I have an urge for a coke.
  • KZOsMommy
    KZOsMommy Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I recently kicked the habit. I started on a whole-food based meal replacement shake and it took all my cravings away! I have felt great since I stopped drinking it!!! I will send you a friend request so we can support each other with kicking this bad habit :)
  • Islasgirl
    Islasgirl Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I was addicted to Diet Caf free Coke & Dr Pepper but gave it up about 3 yrs ago and do not miss it one bit. Only problem is that now I really have to fight getting enough fluids in daily. For years I was limited on fluids because of congestive heart failure and go used to drinking less. I now have to force myself to drink fluids but it is better than drinking soda. Good luck and in about 3 weeks you won't want it anymore.
  • ProudMomoftwo
    Options
    Good for you !!!
    I applaud all of you out there that are trying and succeeding to kick this soda habit.

I am fortunate not to have fallen into that trap.

You are one step closer to eating clean and that is a HUGE accomplishment.

Drink lots of water and flush out all the garbage that is building up in your system.

CONGRATS and many blessings to you on this journey.
    You are so worth it and you CAN DO IT!
  • DrewD2011
    DrewD2011 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I am reading this while drinking a Diet Coke. I have cut down from 6-8 a day to 1-2, but alsas, without coffee...I need the kick!

Also, one of my favorite replacements for DC has been the Special K Strawberry Kiwi lemonade protein powder. Tastes just like Crystal Light, but has 5g of protein for those vegetarians like me that work out all the time. A 2 in 1 bonus! It is not in the Crystal Light area, it is over in the dietary aids in the supermarkets and Walgreens.
  • vent4jesus
    vent4jesus Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Kicking the diet coke habit is not easy!! I travel all the time and do not like ordering water when eating out as I never know what the water will taste like from one state to the next. So I would always get a diet coke. Now I carry my green tea and crystal light with me in the little packages, and no mattter how the water taste I can always make it taste a little better!
  • rocket_scientist
    Options
    I love coke zero. I used to drink minimum of a litre a day but have now cut back to having a glass or two a week. I do drink lots of water though but it's nice to have a sweet drink without the calories once in a while
  • sweetsapphire85
    Options
    I quit Diet Coke cold turkey 1 week ago today. It got to the point it was all I was drinking and realized the carbonation was making my stomach look bigger and if I can't pronounce the ingredients then it shouldn't be in my body. So far so good but when I look at it i'm still tempted to go buy one. It's just all about willpower and how bad you want whatever it is. I want to drop weight so bad but it hasn't happened despite dropping the soda and eating better. I'm hoping it'll catch up with me soon!
  • Danahimself
    Danahimself Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Coca Cola loves how people are unable to go without their product...and replace water for it

A long while back without having any diet coke for a long time I tried one and I gained a headache and I rarely have them..all that acid...that and as someone mentioned the aspartame is bad for humans as well..

A nurse told me that the artificial sugar/sweeter will actually trick the body over time thinking it is actual sugar to be broken down...