What the heck, Body!?!?!

Options
Okay, Body, this has got to stop.
We work out, we eat right, and you don't budge. No inches, no pounds, nothing. For three weeks!
I cut back calories, I was HUNGRY, worked out like a BEAST, and STILL nothing.
So last night you have the audacity to make me eat 700 calories more than I was supposed to, and NOW you lose a pound overnight?!?!
Just by sheer volume of food, that makes NO sense.

Stop toying with me! :sad:

Why don't I ever take my own good advice? :frown:

Replies

• songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Okay, Body, this has got to stop.
    We work out, we eat right, and you don't budge. No inches, no pounds, nothing. For three weeks!
    I cut back calories, I was HUNGRY, worked out like a BEAST, and STILL nothing.
    So last night you have the audacity to make me eat 700 calories more than I was supposed to, and NOW you lose a pound overnight?!?!
    Just by sheer volume of food, that makes NO sense.

Stop toying with me! :sad:

Why don't I ever take my own good advice? :frown:
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    Yep. It's all about finding the "happy medium" for your body. Eating enough but less enough. And even then sometimes our bodies need to be "slapped out of it" So to speak!! That was a lesson I definitely learned!:grumble:

I think your metabolism was thanking you for the food!! :laugh:
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    Ugh. Totally know what you mean. When I was in college I had no clue how many calories I was supposed to be eating. Now I know I was cutting way too many calories and kept gaining. Pretty quickly. I was sooooo mad and gave up for a long time (kept gaining weight) until beginning Weight Watchers. Plateaued with that. Still didn't know why.

Just now I'm starting to understand the "change up" with calories and routines and things. At least that's what I need for my body to lose weight.

Definitely feel your pain though!
  • 3babybeans
    3babybeans Posts: 8,268 Member
    Options
    I had a HUGE day of calories (bad, bad, unhealthy calories & no exercising) a few weeks back in an effort to break a plateau...I lost a pound the next morning.:huh: It's been downwards every since! Maybe you broke a plateau?

Good luck, sweetie! Sorry your body is screwing with you. :frown:
  • TRLTAMPA
    TRLTAMPA Posts: 824
    Options
    I did the same thing. I HADDDD to eat some Taco Bell last night. Something just came over me. I was feeling so guilty because I knew today was weigh in....but I did it anyway. And when I got up this morning...another pound.
  • rialynn79
    Options
    That is very interesting...!! I'm having trouble losing the pounds. Maybe I'll shake it up with calories and see what happens! Thanks!
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    Well I was planning on gradually increasing calories, but last night I was SO hungry. Like, painfully hungry. So I stuffed myself with bread and country pork ribs (trimmed and slow-cooked, yummmm). I felt comfortable when I went to bed and even before going to the potty or anything I had dropped. And that was also the first day of my TOM. So now watch it go back up randomly. :laugh: :tongue:
    I thought I was eating enough...I have been averaging about 1600 calories per day. But I am on my feet all day and walk for a couple hours a day with a backpack on, so on top of my workouts and muscle mass maybe I need more. I think we all are surprised when we need to eat more LOL
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    oh no...even SBS goes through this stuff. That is good and bad I guess. I have avoided a certain friend because he eats like a maniac constantly and is rail thin...so we hook up and I was going to be good...nexxt thing I know, I have eaten about 2 pounds of salted peanuts..only a couple hundred thousand calories over my limit....sodium through the roof....the next day...normal scale.....makes no sense....be good, work out lioke a maniac the next day....gain 1.5 for petes sake (who is Pete anyway?)

thanks SBS for letting me know the body will do what it will do to all of us not just the newbies
  • MargieM
    MargieM Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    Best thing I did for myself was to wear my HRM (Polar F6) all day. I started it when I got up in the morning and stopped it when I got up the next morning. Found out I was burning about 300 more calories a day than I thought, just doing a normal day (I didn't exercise that day, just work and normal evening stuff at home). I upped my base calories and it helped me break a plateau. Just an idea... :flowerforyou:
  • chrispchef1
    Options
    mmm -- great idea! and not cuz it justifies more food! which is also very appealing. i'll have to find one of those gizmo's...
  • psyknife
    psyknife Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Girl, I'm with ya!
    Ever since I started this new lifting regime it's like the hunger just won't stop... I eat every 2-3 hours, smaller meals, I get in more proteins... but I'm still hungry. So, I gave into it and had a large meal the other nice, and the same thing!
    I'm seriously thinking about getting one of those professional base metabolic rate tests done... because my metabolism could be faster than I give it credit for... in which case I'd be under-eating most days.
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    Girl, I'm with ya!
    Ever since I started this new lifting regime it's like the hunger just won't stop... I eat every 2-3 hours, smaller meals, I get in more proteins... but I'm still hungry. So, I gave into it and had a large meal the other nice, and the same thing!
    I'm seriously thinking about getting one of those professional base metabolic rate tests done... because my metabolism could be faster than I give it credit for... in which case I'd be under-eating most days.

It's so frustrating!

I have worn the HR monitor all day, and I have values for my workouts saved up from when it still worked, but my workouts have gotten a lot more difficult lately and I have gained some muscle mass since then so I wouldn't be surprised if my BMR had increased. My last BMR test was done over a year ago and I had a leaky face mask, and it came to 1265. My workouts burn around 500ish I guess, and I walk a lot when I'm at school with about a 20lb backpack, then stand about 4 hours at work. I used the Active setting on MFP which equates me with a waitress and puts me at 1360 baseline, and I usually end up eating around 1700 cals. To me that seemed like plenty in terms of numbers, but I sort of felt like I wasn't eating anything at all. :ohwell:
    I will have to ask my prof for another BMR test...lucky for me they're free! :bigsmile: