Back Pain

Options
Hello, do anyone know what exercisce is good for back pain? I have suffred for years with it, and just this year was in a car accident, this has sent be backwards, I am having a hard time walking, I love walking and hiking up hills, but the pain I get from walking is stopping me from exercising, I am really trying, but you guys already know once you have one let down that has a reaction and I am gaining faster then ever..

Replies

• fanceegirl75
    fanceegirl75 Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Depends on the type of back pain you are experiencing and where it is located. I went to PT and was recommended some exercises to do since I have degenerated discs in my lower back. Good stretching exercises. On the floor. I would check Pinterest or YouTube.
  • zalmann919
    zalmann919 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Pool walking is a good thing to try. Most local YMCA's have daily pool walking times. If you could see a physical therapist who could give you some alternatives that would be good, and moreover take into account your specific problem areas.
  • Iluminado6
    Iluminado6 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Try planks, push ups, sit up, squats. Strengthening the core is a good way to have your other muscles help out when your back can't handle the beating we often give it.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Hello, do anyone know what exercisce is good for back pain? I have suffred for years with it, and just this year was in a car accident, this has sent be backwards, I am having a hard time walking, I love walking and hiking up hills, but the pain I get from walking is stopping me from exercising, I am really trying, but you guys already know once you have one let down that has a reaction and I am gaining faster then ever..

Have you seen a doctor or physio about it?
  • Salk252
    Salk252 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hope you get better soon! I would recommend seeing a doctor or physiotherapist before you do any exercises, you can never know with back injuries!
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Definitely see a doctor before exercising. Find one that will help you identify and fix the problem causing the back pain (I'd recommend a chiro or DO before an MD). I bulged a disc years and years ago falling off a horse. Did PT (and painkillers/steroids) then and any time I had a "flare up" for years. All it did was create massive imbalances in my body and 10 years later my body completely gave out on me and I now have multiple bulged discs and all sorts of other things wrong with me. Just because PT makes the pain go away, doesn't mean it has fixed the problem. That problem will come back to bite you in the *kitten* and wallet.

If you feel you must do something - get in a pool and walk around or even just float. The water helps decompress your joints which feels amazing.