Multivitamin

Options
Multi-questions about multivitamins:

1. My bottle is expired as of 11/15. Does it really matter?

2. I get nauseated after taking it. Why?

3. Do I have to take it first thing in the morning? I feel I may have better luck taking it later in the day, possibly with food.

Replies

• fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    1. Yes it matters, throw it away.
    2. Probably as it's out of date.
    3. No, I take mine after my lunch as it has iron in too and I can't take that with milk or coffee.
  • kd_mazur
    kd_mazur Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    If they are expired, taking them is not doing you any good. Please get a new bottle. I have also experienced the nausea and I found that taking them with my breakfast is the best way for me. I have often heard that taking them at bedtime may help with nausea also.
  • Puravidablonde
    Puravidablonde Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I have to take my vitamins with food, or I sometimes fee, nauseous as well. I generally take mine with a meal, and usually dinner since it's my large meal of the day. I do take my vitamin b12 in the morning with water though.

If you need something new, I suggest garden of life. I did a lot of research into vitamins and this one seems the best.
  • cecsav1
    cecsav1 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Excellent. (Well, not excellent 'cause I have to toss them and buy more... lol). Thank you all. I'll put them on my grocery list and start taking them with lunch.
  • Kkelso1119
    Kkelso1119 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    If it helps, it's not going to kill you or even give you food poisoning, the exp date on vitamins just means that the potency decreases significantly after that date (so if the label claims 2500IU of Vitamin A, after the exp date it is less than that). So you are definitely not benefiting from taking expired vitamins as much as fresh ones, but the nausea is likely due to not taking them with food as above posters mentioned, not from anything in the vitamins that are making you sick due to the exp date.
  • jagodfrey08
    jagodfrey08 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    cecsav1 wrote: »
    Multi-questions about multivitamins:

1. My bottle is expired as of 11/15. Does it really matter?

2. I get nauseated after taking it. Why?

3. Do I have to take it first thing in the morning? I feel I may have better luck taking it later in the day, possibly with food.

I would get a fresh bottle and throw out the expired ones. Nausea happens with multivitamins for a lot of people. Try taking it with food. I use New Chapter's Every Woman's Daily multi, and I break it in half - taking half in the morning and half at night. It can be taken on an empty stomach, and has never caused me nausea.

Some people take their vitamins at night. I know I did when I was pregnant because of the nausea.

I hope this helps!
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    I'll also throw out that unless you are specifically deficient in a particular micronutrient, there is no evidence of any benefit whatsoever to taking a multivitamin (this does not include prenatal vitamins for women who are pregnant or trying to become pregnant).
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    vismal wrote: »
    I'll also throw out that unless you are specifically deficient in a particular micronutrient, there is no evidence of any benefit whatsoever to taking a multivitamin

It's quite difficult to rule out a deficiency in all the nutrients. And since a calorie deficit can lead to a nutrient deficit, taking a multivitamin is a low-risk form of insurance. :+1:
  • jagodfrey08
    jagodfrey08 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    It's quite difficult to rule out a deficiency in all the nutrients. And since a calorie deficit can lead to a nutrient deficit, taking a multivitamin is a low-risk form of insurance. :+1:

Agreed. My nutritionist recommended that I take my multivitamin along with 1000mg of Calcium, 400mg of Magnesium, and 1000mg of fish oil (twice a day). She recommends that for everyone along with some B supplement that I can't remember, but it was already included in my multivitamin.

• SweetPeasMom55
    SweetPeasMom55 Posts: 3,385 Member
    Options
    sometimes it's just a matter of trial and error to find the vitamin that works for you. Though I can't tolerate any vitamin on an empty stomach.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    They aren't required to put expiration dates on vitamins, but some do anyway. The vitamins can lose potency but it's more a money grabbing scheme in my opinion. Being less than a year out of date, I wouldn't think there is absolutely anything different about your vitamins and a brand new pack you go by. Use them up.