Cravings!!!

Options
I have done so well in the past month getting back on track with my diet and exercise, but how do I kill the cravings for snacks like chips and cookies?? Does any one have any good tips for avoiding these or a good substitute idea? Thanks!

Replies

• SpaceMarkus
    SpaceMarkus Posts: 651
    Options
    Find a healthful meal replacement. That's what I did. Also, when you get a craving go brush your teeth. It helps stem the craving for a few hours :)
  • ehedges31
    ehedges31 Posts: 72
    Options
  • kim_mc
    kim_mc Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I've been at this working out and eating healthy thing since the end of October and for me the cravings still come....frequently. It's just a matter of being able to fight against them. I'm not entirely convinced they will ever go away because for me some cookies or ice cream will always taste better than an apple or come broccoli. However, over time I"m learning that making poor food choices gets me nowhere except fat and frustruated with myself and sometimes I'm able to say NO!
  • melbaby925
    melbaby925 Posts: 613
    Options
    I traded out my addiction to all things Ruffles with Sun Chips. You get way more chips per serving and they're pretty tasty! For the sweets, I have Snackwell's fudge drizzled popcorn for 130 cals, and have discovered the Newton fruit crisp cookies. The blueberry is the best, and it's got flaxseed in it for Omega 3s!
  • SarahofTwins
    SarahofTwins Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    100 calorie packs really help me at those times...and also Melba toast. Then drinking plenty of water on top of that:smile:
  • dfborders
    dfborders Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I think each person is different - with that said, I notice it takes me about a month for the cravings to subside but if I go right back to eating what I want I have to start all over. A few things that help me is Pirate's Booty - baked cheese puffs - they are pretty tasty and if you follow the serving size not too bad for a snack. Also, if I am really craving something and I know not eating it will ruin the whole day (i.e. I will keep eating because until I eat that I am not satisfied) I will try to by what I want in a really small portion and take a little longer to enjoy it. This way I am not tempted to eat more than the serving size. Also, for chocolate I like the York Peppermint Patty - dark chocolate, single serving, not too high in calories and/or fat. Extra Desert Delights gum is also very tasty - but you have to be careful - some people chew gum and it makes them hungry. I can chew gum and it helps to satisfy me - sometimes I think I am just so used to eating if my mouth isn't chewing I don't feel satisfied. Good Luck and stick with it.
  • Fruchtzwerg
    Fruchtzwerg Posts: 37 Member
    Options

This link is awesome! Thanks a mill. Will pin this on my wall :happy:
  • ckncj
    ckncj Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I agree with the 100-cal packs. Those are a great way to satisfy a craving and keep within your daily calorie goals. There are 100-cal packs to satisfy a sweet tooth, as well as packs that satisfy the salty-crunchy cravings.

I also found the Vlasic Dill Pickle spears were a great way to quench my salty-crunchy craving with.....ZERO cals!!!
  • TheSportzchick95
    Options
    If you're craving something crunchy then try something like snap peas! I love them! There are healthy foods that are sweet, when you're craving sweets..and I'm sure people will disagree when I say this but mostly everything is healthy when you have portion control..Stick to portions and you'll be fine!:) we, americans these days enlarge EVERYTHING! did you know that the normal portion for drinks is a small?There never was a EXTRA large back then...and to come to think of it, most of americans are obese simply because of the fact tht we want more of everything...good luck with ur cravings!:)
  • alannablue
    alannablue Posts: 13
    Options
    Weight watchers and skinny cow both make really good ice cream treats that aren't too bad for you. ~150 calories, or less!
  • anacsitham5
    anacsitham5 Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Cravings will eventually cease, but you can measure out everything in the morning that you are allowed for the day. Once it's gone, you don't eat until tomorrow. I crave salty foods so I munch on Full Circle microwave popocrn (best nutritionally over all the brands) and Special K chips! But even then you have to keep your portions in control. Good Luck!
  • lindasmyname
    lindasmyname Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Drink water. I read somewhere that our body confuses thirst for food cravings so when one hits drink a couple of glasses of water. I've tried it, simple but it works. Another thing that works for me is to get moving. A short walk may be all you need to get some endorphins flowing and make you forget about food. I recently started using PGx daily which stabilizes blood sugar levels so I never get cravings no matter what I eat. I was on the Bernstein Diet and it strictly controls the type of food you eat to maintain blood sugar levels as well but its way easier and cheaper to use PGx daily.
  • tinacrane
    tinacrane Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Although I am far from being a nutritionist or body builder- I usually handle sweet and crunchy cravings for some of the flavored rice cakes. There are flavors ranging from cheddar and nacho cheese to chocolate and blueberry. I also believe that I in particular, have to give in to my cravings sometimes to be successful at weight loss. So, many days I will have a skinny cow crisp bar at 120 calories or frozen skinny cow dessert at 140 calories. They may not be organic or the perfect healthy, natural food- but they will satisfy that sugar craving while not adding too many calories. And of course, I too, eat 100 calorie pack treats and sugar free pudding.
  • anna_lisa
    anna_lisa Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Protein will actually stimulate a chemical process in the body and brain that will reduce sugar carb cravings. But for me if I just have to indulge, I will grab a 1/4 of honey nut cherios (I think 35 calories) and I eat them one by one. That helps me
  • TinaDay1114
    TinaDay1114 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    Sensible Portions has a crunchy snack -- they're called "Veggie Straws" but they're really just puffed potato sticks w/veggie spices in them. You can eat 38 of them for just 130 calories, and they still crunch. :) I have crunch cravings, too.

Still haven't found a way to beat my caramel "cowtail" addiction. :)
  • MamaGraves2
    MamaGraves2 Posts: 203 Member
    Options

This link is awesome! Thanks a mill. Will pin this on my wall :happy:

I agree. Thanks for sharing! I printed it out too.
  • Ninaad
    Ninaad Posts: 28
    Options
    Thanks everyone! All good advice!