How to lose weight when you can't work out due to an injury.

Options
Hello,

I'm struggling with losing weight due to an injury in both of my knees. I am normally an extremely active person who is always going on hikes, walks, to the gym, but now I am mostly inactive and I am gaining weight (5-10 pounds). I know that I can work on my diet, and I'm trying but I'm not sure what to do. I'm losing my mind being so sedentary and the boredom is driving me to eat more.

Any tips or suggestions?
Thanks!

Replies

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is mostly calories in vs. calories out so you can definitely lose weight while not exercising. If you've always been active you'll need to eat less than you have been, of course, and that's probably where your weight gain has been coming in.

Simply use MFP to figure out your calories to lose weight at a specific rate then stay as close to that goal as possible each day. I'm guessing you'll want to be in the 1/2 to 1 pound per week range, especially since you won't be able to exercise. If MFP tells you 1200 calories per week for a female or 1500 (I think) for a male, you've set it too aggressively and will need to change it to a slower rate per week.

Find something to do with yourself, especially your hands, when you're bored. Take up a hobby or craft that will keep your hands busy so you can't eat at the same time. That has worked for me in the past.
  • 1shedev
    1shedev Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    You can still work out your upper body, or maybe swim. Other than that, change your food log settings so you will be in a deficit.
  • AliceAxe
    AliceAxe Posts: 172 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    this has been a delema of mine. I used to be a very athlectic active person before I became chronicaly ill and disabled. consider yourself luck if your injury will heal. mine never will. I have cut my calories way back and eveyrthign and cant seem to lose the weight. when I try to increase my exersize I pay for it dearly with even more disabling symptoms, and this leads to frustration and then I want to give up not care what I eat and stuff myself with comfort food, because whats the point? its a real struggle I know well. because of my disabilities , my hands and brain dont function well any more and there are so few things I can do any more that I enjoy except eat. Iv ebene just trying to gorge on healthy stuff and greens, and learing to eat salad in a million differnt ways but its not helping. until now I never thought I coudl gain weight on a salad diet! lol
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Arm weights. Or swimming?
    Eat at a deficit.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Eat less. Calorie deficit