When to log weight?

Options
How often do you weigh yourself and how often do you log it? I weigh myself daily but my weight fluctuates a lot, up to two pounds within a day and about 4 lbs depending on TOM and what I ate the day before. Once weekly sound right?
Also is there any way to denote where I am in my cycle on the weight history? That would be helpful, I can't figure out how to do it
Thanks

Replies

• capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    You could always hold a little sign in your progress pic.
  • zharptichka
    zharptichka Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I weigh and log every day and then just look at the graph to see the average. I also record my weight in an app called clue which I use to track my cycle. It's an awesome app I love it. As far as I know there isn't a way to add your cycle to the mfp tracker.
  • kschramm7
    kschramm7 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I weight every morning...get out of bed, empty my bladder, strip down and hop on the scale. I RECORD that weight once a week, Wednesday mornings (far enough from the weekend on both ends).
  • realcalm
    realcalm Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning as soon as I get dressed (except for shoes). And log it. I like seeing the ups and downs. I wish I had the numbers in a spreadsheet so I could fit a curve . . .
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,200 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning and log once a week on Friday mornings.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I weigh every morning and log only when it goes down...I'd show you the graph but I can't figure out how to add an image from my phone :(
  • Bearbo27
    Bearbo27 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day and log it every day. It shows the ups and downs, but still has a downward path so I'm happy. Because I work nights, I weigh myself in the afternoon after I've slept.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself and log the result every day when I get up in the morning after I've used the bathroom and b4 I've eaten or drunk anything.

There are daily variations, of couse, but some of the larger variations I attribute to scale inaccuracies, rather than to actual weight change, which are widely reported and acknowledged problems with bathroom scales.

The trend is the more important thing to pay attention to and I think that measuring daily will give you a more reluable data set.

If the variations bother you, you can use Excel and some apps to compute and graph using a 7 day moving average which will smooth out the graph and make the results appear less variable while still preserving the trend.
  • Bxqtie116
    Bxqtie116 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning after using the bathroom and get butt naked. I want to know what my real weight is as clothing can give a half lb or more. I use Happy Scale and log it there, but if my weight has gone down more since my last drop, I log it onto Fitbit and MFP.
  • Bearbo27
    Bearbo27 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Bxqtie116 wrote: »
    I weigh every morning after using the bathroom and get butt naked. I want to know what my real weight is as clothing can give a half lb or more. I use Happy Scale and log it there, but if my weight has gone down more since my last drop, I log it onto Fitbit and MFP.

I use Happy Scale app too and I love it. I log my weight in both places but I like the features Happy Scale has.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day, and log it here which then syncs to fitbit, which then syncs to Trendweight. I have the notification to post weight loss on my newsfeed switched off.
  • opalquartz
    opalquartz Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning and track it with Happy Scale. I only update MFP with new lows.

Try out different apps/sites that show your trending weight if you'd like, and you can experiment with how often weighing in works for you.
  • Tishrei
    Tishrei Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the input. I'll try some of those apps/sites mentioned
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I weigh each morning and log immediately after. I do care to see the chart in the Reports section tell me what I did with food each day.
  • NanP135
    NanP135 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I weigh in once a week as to not get obsessed over ups and downs, I think whatever works for you is best.